Can someone answer this?

romeiio

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
romeiio
can a judge in a michigan court impose fines on a traffic violation that I never went to court for,{originally} but already paid $400.00 driver responsibility for? I was pulled over in 2006 for no known reason{I forgot to ask the officer} and I didn't have a drivers license, I didn't know where my friend kept her proof of ins.{it was her vehicle} The officer gave me a ticket and impounded the vehicle. I was ignorant of the procedure. I thought it was my friends responsibility to do the court thing since it was her vehicle. I began receiving letters telling me to pay $200 and do not contact the court. I THOUGHT IT WAS A SCAM! the amount went up to $400 and then they stopped coming. Then in 2011 I received a note from the I.R.S they with held 400 for dr. respon.

Now I finally go to court over the matter, proof in hand and the prosecutor and the judge did not even look at it. The judges ruling? 6 months probation, $250 {fines and costs} $75 {victim of crime} $75 for ? $294 {no proof of ins.} Total: $694.Or 30 days in jail. They didn't even take off what I already paid. Any recourse?

Last edited:
And you are posting this on an aviation board...why?

You could try ignoring the court system again, since that worked so well for you the last time.

You could try ignoring the court system again, since that worked so well for you the last time.

Which may explain why he posted this question on an aviation board.

I googled the question and it brought me to (your}? site.

Yes, someone can -- an attorney license to practice in Michigan. Don't think we have any of them hanging around here giving legal advice for free, but I could be wrong.

Maybe he has heard about the great attorneys that hang out here.:yes:

You rang? :D

Not a MI attorney, advice worth full value paid.

Most likely, you have blown any procedural opportunity to challenge the outcome. Most traffic offenses and similar charges have a modicum of procedural protections / due process, but you generally have to be ready to invoke these up front. At this point, likely they have been waived.

Also remember this: typically, municipal judges are hired, not elected, and they are motivated to collect as much in monetary penalties as they can (within the bounds of the law, of course), as it feeds the coffers from which they and their colleagues (including the citing peace officers) are paid.

Bottom-line: Hang it up and pay. You'll pay the most reasonable competent counsel you can find more than the fine amounts, up front, to try (with likely poor outcome) to fix this.

It's amazing someone so ignorant of motor vehicle laws was driving in the first place. *He hasn't gotten any smarter in the six years since the incident either.

Stick to public transportation...

Back