Can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I'm grounded...at least temporarily. The recent conditions haven't been cooperative with my desire to complete my last required solo long XC flight (sundown times, weather systems, x-winds too high, airmet tango, blah, blah, waaaa, waaaa, excuses, excuses).

I've had time to think about my past piloting accomplishments and the road ahead, and to my dismay, I've come to the realization that I've been lulled into an unrealistic view of my capabilities as a consequence of the safety cocoon of a student pilot enhanced by CYA policies. To cope, I've resigned to finishing the requirements a-la "put the checks in the box", get my cert and then figure out "what next" after I have it in-hand. This, in my opinion is not the place I expected to be from an attitude perspective. And Why? What I had previously thought an accomplishment, looking back has been the challenge of personal follow-through and perseverance, not aviation. And frankly, I'm underwhelmed. Were it not for a disdain for quitting, a strong desire to be more than I was when I started and childhood dreams of aviation, I would have missed the fact that along the way I picked up some EXTREMEMLY valuable life-skills lessons.

I've had to overcome many personal fears. I'm grateful reflecting back that I was never in any real danger (my wife has affectionately described me as a Safety Cop). However, I'm wondering if a person without similar motivating factors could be setup to learning the wrong lessons that could someday lead to poor judgment and tragedy? On the other hand, what if these are ingredients that causes new pilots and advanced student pilots alike to quit altogether?

I like the varied opinions and perspectives here on PoA and know that I'm sticking my neck out a bit (just please, no guillotines); it's all in good fun while being educational. I plan to use the responses to flesh-out some ideas and make some changes, gather more training goals, etc...and basically put the fun back into my student pilot experience. This time will never come again. I'm a LITTLE sad that it's coming to finale. I want fond memories and amazing stories to tell the grandchildren.

So, tell me, what do you think?

And Oh BTW, I'm scheduled to attempt the XC again on Thursday, then it's pre-checkride stuff this weekend.

Can see the light at the end of the tunnel

What I had previously thought an accomplishment, looking back has been the challenge of personal follow-through and perseverance, not aviation. And frankly, I'm underwhelmed.

This struck me the most, and I felt the same way at the same point in my training. It never felt like the "wonderful journey of overcoming personal obstacles" and other such cliches, not even in hindsight. I don't really look back fondly on my training; it was more of a means to an end. My perserverance was, I must admit, mostly financial since I had sunk so much money into it, and felt it would have been a horrible waste had I not seen it through.

But maybe all that is what the 'journey' was supposed to be for me. I came out the other end with my cert, and was anxious to go places and show off to my friends.

So, while not romantic, the journey got me where I intended to go in the beginning, that is my story. I'm glad you can see the light, and if my response has been at all relevant to your sentiments, I hope you can put the 'underwhelming' features in the past.

It looks like you're grasping the fact that the PP cert is truly a license to learn. The training is supposed to be safe so we learn to fly when it is very safe to do so (for the most part). Once we get the ticket it's time to start expanding our comfort zone and really learning how to plan and fly. A few long cross countries will teach you a great deal about flying. Much more than you could learn while under the direct guidance of an instructor.

That said, don't lose touch with your instructor(s). They're still a valuable resource. Take a ride with them every now and then to help forestall developing bad habits. Share with them some of the things you learn over time.

Hope that helps a bit on perspective. As others have said: learning the monkey skills of flying is easy, but learning to be a pilot takes much more time and effort.

I think Clark nailed it pretty well. The private pilot certificate gives you enough to go out into the world and learn more about this flying thing. The best part about aviation is that the learning never stops unless you want it to.

I'd agree to keep your instructors around. Sometimes it's nice to go on a flight with them just for fun, especially if it's an XC into someplace uncomfortable or unfamiliar. Just having that other pilot sitting there who's got your back can be nice. Plus, they'll appreciate the change of pace from primary instruction.

If it helps you to make goals, going for the ratings is a good place to start. Go for the instrument rating, then start really using the plane.

You're in Washington DC area and are having issues with the sunset? It's light out until at LEAST 6p. I just finished up my solo xc (I took the day off work to do it) I find the solo stuff to be like going to the doctor or a dentist (Yeah, it has to be done but it sure does suck!) The long xc (Two stops was my worst one since it was the longest time I was ever in the airplane (3.2 hours on hobbs) I have been told that once you take a non pilot up (when you feel comfortable enough to do that) you'll remember why you went through all this work. Maybe you could ask your CFI if you could have someone ride along with your lessons, they may give you the kick you need to get out of your rut. Remember only like 6% of the population are pilots...you will finish something not many people have even considered.

I saw the light at the end of the tunnel once... turned out to be another train

Whatever you do, I dont think you should give up. Sometimes I wonder if I fly enough to feel safe alone (i fly at least once month), but I have a CFI friend who rides with a lot. Its not much, but it lets you "safely" keep your confidence up.

I'm a LITTLE sad that it's coming to finale.

The beautiful thing about aviation is that there are always countless new experiences available right around the corner. I was really gung-ho to get my private so I never had the feeling then, but I do remember being just a bit wistful when I got my Commercial that I was never going to be a Private Pilot again.

But the joys that await you are tremendous. Whether it's getting the instrument (or any other) rating, or breaking out at minimums on a perfectly executed ILS with the runway RIGHT THERE in front of you, seeing a snowy landscape at night lit up by the full moon, getting places in a tiny fraction of the time it takes non-pilots to, getting to places that only pilots get to go, seeing your shadow in the middle of a circular rainbow, seeing pieces of wilderness still untouched and unseen by mere humans, or spending the weekend with your new best friends from all over the country at a riverside resort with a runway - Good times await you. :yes:

I ran the long XC in the mid-January, but have the checkride scheduled only for this Saturday, almost exactly a month later. Hopefuly your gap is not going to be that long.

I plan to use the responses to flesh-out some ideas and make some changes, gather more training goals, etc...and basically put the fun back into my student pilot experience. This time will never come again. I'm a LITTLE sad that it's coming to finale. I want fond memories and amazing stories to tell the grandchildren.

I'll admit I had some fun during my training, but it's not supposed to be a vacation or a picnic. It's intense training that meant to teach you a large set of skills that will allow you plan flights and fly airplanes in a way that will keep you alive.

Forget about trying to make the last part of your training "fun" or "exciting". You at the last part, which requires you to pull everything you've learned together. This is hard work, but the payoff is huge. Once you get your certificate, you can concentrate on having fun and enjoying what you've learned.

Yes, a pilot certificate is a license to keep learning, but it's also a license to FLY. Once you are free of your instructors everything changes. However, if you are one of those people who wanted a pilot cert just so you could cross off an item on your bucket list, well, I wish you the best of luck.

Jaybird, did you do your XC yesterday? The winds weren't bad for a change.

Yes, I did. Thanks for asking. I think I'm beginning to understand the "license to learn" concept (po4t about that l8tr)

Back