Can POA help?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Friend of my wife needs to get to CA from MI for testing for heart transplant.
He doesn't qualify for Angel flight. Needs something more like an air ambulance and nurse enroute

I am not posting this to get him donations (but feel free by all means) I am posting it because it has details of the situation.

https://www.gofundme.com/2exgdqk4

Maybe someone here knows someone that has handled situations like this.

I'm thinking he will need cabin class transpo if he needs medical attention. You could try beech talk. Lots of those guys over there. Most have watched your vids so they probably already know of you.

Short of the $30,000 the best bet will be to contact corporate flight departments or charter services to see if they have open seats.

What precludes him from flying commercially?
I believe he requires certain medical equip. to be available along w/ a nurse / doctor.
He apparently has heart attacks every once in awhile.

A long shot, but does his employer or his wife's employer operate a corporate airplane? I've also heard of employers chipping in or paying for an air ambulance flight.

Why California? Cleveland Clinic is much closer and has an excellent heart clinic.

I believe he requires certain medical equip. to be available along w/ a nurse / doctor.
He apparently has heart attacks every once in awhile.
Pardon the bluntness, but is this for real?

If a purple 737 with AED and a second seat for a nurse is inadequate, he needs an air ambulance, full stop. Cedars Sinai is just over the Hills from Burbank.

A trip over the Sierra or over the high Transverse Ranges in an unpressurized single is an incredibly stupid idea for a guy prone to frequent heart attacks. I wouldn't touch this with a 10,000 foot pole.

If this guy has a heart attack over eastern Nevada and the nearest hospital is 200 miles away, what do you do?

Last edited:
Pardon the bluntness, but is this for real?

If a purple 737 with AED and a second seat for a nurse is inadequate, he needs an air ambulance, full stop. Stanford is barely 20 minutes from SFO in good traffic.

A trip over the Sierra in an unpressurized single is an incredibly stupid idea for a guy prone to frequent heart attacks. I wouldn't touch this with a 10,000 foot pole.

I kind of assumed that was categorically out of the question. Probably why he didn't qualify for Angel Flight.

I don't think Bryan was looking for volunteers to fly the guy in a small airplane, which I agree is most likely not a good idea. His request was...

Maybe someone here knows someone that has handled situations like this.

It's also hard to determine from the GoFundMe page what condition he is in. But it seems the choices would be air ambulance, accompanied by a doctor/nurse on a commercial flight if allowed, or accompanied on a business jet if one is donated or found.

I don't think Bryan was looking for volunteers to fly the guy in a small airplane, which I agree is most likely not a good idea. His request was...
Then, what does that mean?

An air ambulance is an air ambulance. This is what they do.

Or perhaps he's looking for a side job? That would be outside the part 135 certificate. It's not auto repair or landscaping.

I'm just reaching out. Maybe the only option is an air ambulance. Someone on FB recommend corporate angels which sounds like AF for longer flights. I'm just asking what it's out there because I don't know what all options their are in this situation. I'm not flying anybody. just asking about options.

This does sound a lot like what Corporate Angels does.

I had an idea but it seems as if they are not doing missions now. I met this guy a number of years ago. Maybe you can contact them for suggestions? It seems as if they are still flying their C750.

http://texasjacobsonaviation.com

Wow, Some anonymous person donated 20k to their go fund me.
Looks like they may get their air ambulance.

Amazing.

Hopefully the 20k donor is real...

@Ted DuPuis, was this one of the additional missions you got the new airplane for?

@Ted DuPuis, was this one of the additional missions you got the new airplane for?

I assume (hope) so.
This gofundme thing can be a great thing when needed.
They hit their goal this morning. Looks like it was shared 600+ times.
Less than 24 hours.

I hope they get what they need. I imagine those 2 little girls have had to deal with a lot of tough stuff.

Yes, this is the sort of expanded mission capability that I got the 414 for.

Yesterday @SixPapaCharlie put me in touch with the woman who started the GoFundMe, and we chatted briefly. We were going to chat today to see the possibilities after a doctor's appointment to determine what exact sort of support was required. The 414 could do it (2 fuel stops en route), it's a question of what sort of care, equipment, personnel, he needs as well as schedule, how long of a trip he can endure, etc. which are questions that weren't entirely clear from the GoFundMe and that she wasn't completely sure of, either.

Seeing as they met their goal, I think they will likely be best off getting the air ambulance, but I'll discuss with them options if they're still interested.

last I flew with Angel Flight West, we cooperated with all the other regional AF for handoff/relay flights. But, that was a number of years ago, so apparently things have changed.

last I flew with Angel Flight West, we cooperated with all the other regional AF for handoff/relay flights. But, that was a number of years ago, so apparently things have changed.
Likely depends on the AF regional organizations involved. I do flights for the South Central wing (@TangoWhiskey is our wing leader). Recently, I did the "southern" leg of a mission that started with an Angel Flight Central pilot. Our Wing's mission coordinator worked with their's and the mission happened with minimal fuss.

For the flight the Michigan to LA patient needs, piston power would be a very looong day and lots of hops. Very few pilots have the "higher faster" aircraft like Ted.

For the flight the Michigan to LA patient needs, piston power would be a very looong day and lots of hops. Very few pilots have the "higher faster" aircraft like Ted.

The 414 is piston powered, and not faster than the 310. It's doing low 180s KTAS right now. It would still be a long day, 2 fuel stops and roughly 10 hours of flying each way (just under 1800 nm each way). The pressurization, AC, and cabin class would be the primary benefits as I imagine being able to maintain sea level (or close to it) cabin pressure is of a high priority.

Obviously, much faster and more capable than a 172/182/etc., but it's not a Lear.

Next upgrade would be turboprop of some sort. A lot of people who've made the jump from 414/421 to MU-2, Cheyenne, or Conquest have said that the turboprops end up being cheaper. I don't fully buy the math on that. Regardless, purchase price rules it out.

Please don't take any offense (none intended) but it it were for someone I know I wouldn't recommend going in the same aircraft used to transport animals.

Please don't take any offense (none intended) but it it were for someone I know I wouldn't recommend going in the same aircraft used to transport animals.

No offense taken. A big question I would have is if the passenger has animal allergies and to what degree. Obviously we clean the plane, however you aren't likely to get 100% of allergens out. None of us know at this point what the specifics are surrounding the situation.

However, if I put the seats back in the plane today, showed up at your airport, and didn't tell you that its last flight had 49 dogs in it, I'd bet you'd have no idea.

Why California? Cleveland Clinic is much closer and has an excellent heart clinic.

My armchair speculation, having dealt with this population of patients and reading between the lines:

He's already been evaluated and refused by the local programs because of multisystem organ failure/impairment. That makes him a poor transplant candidate. He's on his second or third (or more?) evaluation and is desperate to live. There is no guarantee the California program will greenlight him either. This is for evaluation to be listed with them. He's not even assured he's going to be listed for transplant. If he's not, are they going to do a go-fund-me to get him home? And yea, this is not the sort of thing an amateur/volunteer transport needs to touch. He's probably got an implanted defibrillator already, and is on continuous medication infusion and/or VAD implant for support. Sometimes VAD's are put in for bridge to transplant. Sometimes they are destination therapy (thats as good as it gets for you..). He might need oxygen continuously, a pressurized cabin, the ability to lay flat, power sources for VAD or IV pumps (they have limited battery life). They've already said they need air ambulance.

IF he's going to be listed, he's going to need to relocate and live there. This GoFundMe states that... its not just about getting him there, its about living expenses too.

Big news deserves big writing!

I'm thinking he will need cabin class transpo if he needs medical attention. You could try beech talk. Lots of those guys over there. Most have watched your vids so they probably already know of you.

Well, them already knowing of Bryan may not help the situation. :D

Back