can pilots have BPD?

U

Unregistered

Turns out I may have borderline personality disorder. I have not been officially diagnosed, but I show most of the signs. I am a commercial pilot with around 550 hours. I'm afraid to mention this to my AME...can I still fly if I am diagnosed?

Figure this out off the books first, cash, use your judgement as to your risk.

If this is something that you and your professional feel needs to be officially diagnosed and/or medicated, have a word with a very good AME like Dr Bruce (search for him on here).

The FAA would apparently prefer pilots to run away from any kind of medical treatment until they drop dead.

Welcome to bureaucracy. ...

The FAA would apparently prefer pilots to run away from any kind of medical treatment until they drop dead.

Welcome to bureaucracy. ...

We also do live in a rather over medicated society.

Your not alone, most of us have some sort of personality disorder.

You made me look it up. Here's the description:

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a mental health condition in which a person has long-term patterns of unstable or turbulent emotions. These inner experiences often result in impulsive actions and chaotic relationships with other people.

I'm no psychologist, but this sounds like maybe a bad thing for a commercial pilot?

You made me look it up. Here's the description:

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a mental health condition in which a person has long-term patterns of unstable or turbulent emotions. These inner experiences often result in impulsive actions and chaotic relationships with other people.

I'm no psychologist, but this sounds like maybe a bad thing for a commercial pilot?

Guess they should prevent women from getting medicals too :rofl:

hell, that describes most of the older airline pilots I know. It almost seems a career of professional pyleting gives you BPD. LOL

Turns out I may have borderline personality disorder. I have not been officially diagnosed, but I show most of the signs. I am a commercial pilot with around 550 hours. I'm afraid to mention this to my AME...can I still fly if I am diagnosed?

What makes you think this? What are your symptoms? Do not self diagnose.

Keeping in mind that your health should be your first priority, if there are things interfering with your life that you think need addressing, and that you think might impact your ability to qualify for a flight medical, and having a medical is important to you....you might want to arrange a CONSULTATION with a HIMS AME such as Dr. Bruce Chien.

You do not want a diagnosis like this on the record unless it is clearly in your best interest medically.

What makes you think this? What are your symptoms? Do not self diagnose.

Keeping in mind that your health should be your first priority, if there are things interfering with your life that you think need addressing, and that you think might impact your ability to qualify for a flight medical, and having a medical is important to you....you might want to arrange a CONSULTATION with a HIMS AME such as Dr. Bruce Chien.

You do not want a diagnosis like this on the record unless it is clearly in your best interest medically.

Why does he need a HIMS AME? HIMS is for substance abuse.

Despite the use of the word "borderline" in the name, this isn't some "on the fence" personality disorder. It's EXTREMELY SERIOUS. You will almost certainly be deferred and most likely denied if you have this as a diagnosis. I would not mention the words BPD unless you have an actual diagnosis.

You're looking at well over $2000 of psychological testing and time with a PSYCHIATRIST to evaluate your situation. But if it remains you have BPD, you won't be flying ANYTHING.

OP, stop posting on this board. Please! None of the responders, although very well intentioned, have the depth of knowledge of medicine AND the FAA rules and protocols as does Dr. Bruce Chien.

Dr. Bruce is revered as to how willing he is to help airmen remain certified. But he will also be the first to tell you when certification is not possible. Ready for the truth? Call Doctor Bruce.

Contact Bruce in the Medical Matters forum on the AOPA Board or directly at www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Best of luck with this.

-Skip

The poster posted as anonymous and it's unlikely he's going to get personally in trouble from his posts here.

Dr. Bruce is a great resource, but the general procedure *IS* as I stated. A BPD diagnosis or even the hint of a BPD is going to get the "you appear to not be qualified..." letter from the FAA mandating the full PPP workup. I could go into details, but as I stated it's going to be costly. There are a slew of general psychological tests, then some specific ones for BPD, plus you need a report from a board-certified psychiatrist (that's an MD) on your status.

All the above still doesn't guarantee even a special issuance. If you've got a personality disorder diagnosis you need a well versed AME like Dr. Bruce before you even begin the process.

Been through this with a very close CFI friend.

I'd be very careful choosing your AME. Since the diagnosis has some degree of subjectivity you can bet that five doctors who aren't well trained in psychiatry will have five different opinions of how to handle your case. The FAA says you MAY have a problem, not that you WILL have a problem. Your AME can play a big role in determining your future. Tell the truth, but tell it to the right guy.

FYI. http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...de/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/table/pd/

I don't like these unregistered psycho posts.

It could be a FAA mole baiting the membership here.

Somebody spills their guts about an affliction off the books and the next thing you know he's in trouble. :nono:

The poster posted as anonymous and it's unlikely he's going to get personally in trouble from his posts here.
Agreed. However, a pilot with "a serious mental illness marked by unstable mood", "brief psychotic episodes", and "impulsive and reckless behavior" (to quote the National Institute of Mental Health) is very likely to make a very bad aeronautical decision. So, if the OP really has BPD and keeps flying, odds are eventually it's going to get discovered in a really bad and potentially fatal way. The advice to consult a qualified medical professional and find out for sure whether or not s/he really has BPD, and to talk to Dr. Chien about it, is well worth taking.

Agreed. However, a pilot with "a serious mental illness marked by unstable mood", "brief psychotic episodes", and "impulsive and reckless behavior" (to quote the National Institute of Mental Health) is very likely to make a very bad aeronautical decision. So, if the OP really has BPD and keeps flying, odds are eventually it's going to get discovered in a really bad and potentially fatal way. The advice to consult a qualified medical professional and find out for sure whether or not s/he really has BPD, and to talk to Dr. Chien about it, is well worth taking.

Yeah, well the fact that he has 550hrs, completed at least two check rides, probably 3 with DPEs, probably had at least 3 CFIs and sat down with a AME for a medical, guessing at least twice, and no one pulled the "psychotic" card...

Something tells me he isn't exactly bouncing off the walls.

Don't always be in a rush to diagnose and medicate yourself.

Go spend a hour on WebMd, you'll be convinced your going to die, have cancer, aids AND no less then 2 mental disorders.

Most doc in a boxes ain't that much better, just look at all the kids with "ADD", remember that trend :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think the issue may be that if you are seeing a Psychiatrist and that is why you think you may have this disorder, your going to have to report the shrink visit.

Yeah, well the fact that he has 550hrs, completed at least two check rides, probably 3 with DPEs, probably had at least 3 CFIs and sat down with a AME for a medical, guessing at least twice, and no one pulled the "psychotic" card...
Yeah, well, the Packers were ahead by two scores with three minutes to go yesterday, too.

Don't always be in a rush to diagnose and medicate yourself.
I'm good with that. If you're concerned that you have a medical problem, just go get a qualified medical practitioner to help determine whether you do or not, and then if you have that problem, deal with it appropriately.

I'm good with that. If you're concerned that you have a medical problem, just go get a qualified medical practitioner to help determine whether you do or not, and then if you have that problem, deal with it appropriately.

Agreed
But I'd keep it off the books till you know you actually have a problem.

Yeah, well, the Packers were ahead by two scores with three minutes to go yesterday, too.
You underestimate the power of 12 :yesnod:

It's EXTREMELY SERIOUS

Yep. Those of you who have had someone with actual BPD in your life understand this perfectly. Those of you who haven't, should count yourself lucky.

Hard core BPDs struggle with self-awareness, as a key factor in their mental illness is denial, and the inability to rationalize. The fact that the OP is asking is a bit unusual, and could indicate that there might be something else going on besides BPD. Get an accurate diagnosis from a professional.

If the OP is truly BPD, he/she shouldn't be flying. Frankly, true BPDs shouldn't be wandering around society unrestrained. No apologies for the bitterness, I earned the right.

Don't get diagnosed, try not to have a psychotic break and kill a couple hundred people, carry on.

The FAA can see your diagnosis codes. Omission is a terrible idea that will cost you any certificate you have.

But the answer is, no. "Borderline personality disorder, Multiple acts" is one of the 15 disqualifying medical conditions. If yo have documented multiple acts, it's a problem.

N35, HIMS are the psychiatry trained AMEs. He needs a consultation with one.

First log in in 13 months. Though I'd leave what I can- but I see that all the same problems are still here at good ol' POA. User #5 signing off again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back