Can my CFII sign my logbook even if I don't have a current medical certificate?

briscopilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
briscopilot
I'm a private pilot with over 500 hours on single engine aircraft. VFR only. Recently I could not pass the FAA medical exam. I've been flying a Cessna 172 Skyhawk with the CFII and previously (when I did have a valid medical certificate) I flew a 172 legally. My CFII told me that he couldn't sign off on flight hours. I am flying left seat and he is instructing me. Can he sign / initial my logbook as CFII? Where does the FAA regs cover this issue? If he can't per FAA regs then can I log the hours in my logbook that I fly with him legally? Please help.

:confused:

I would think he can, not sure why he didn't. I lost my medical for a while and was recieving dual while without a medical, but I was not pic.

I would think he can, not sure why he didn't. I lost my medical for a while and was recieving dual while without a medical, but I was not pic.

Same story. Nobody had any problem signing my log book when my medical was toast due to prostate cancer. He's acting PIC, you're logging PIC. Works fine.

I'm a private pilot with over 500 hours on single engine aircraft. VFR only. Recently I could not pass the FAA medical exam. I've been flying a Cessna 172 Skyhawk with the CFII and previously (when I did have a valid medical certificate) I flew a 172 legally. My CFII told me that he couldn't sign off on flight hours. I am flying left seat and he is instructing me. Can he sign / initial my logbook as CFII? Where does the FAA regs cover this issue? If he can't per FAA regs then can I log the hours in my logbook that I fly with him legally? Please help.

:confused:
He can always sign your logbook as dual given, whether you have a medical or even a pilot certificate. That's how student pilots get their hours! :)

I think your question is really whether he can sign it if you log it as PIC. I refer you to EdFred's chart, but in short, YES. You have the pilot certificate and (I am presuming) you were the sole manipulator. He was acting as PIC (and that should really have been specified before the flight), but you were legal to log PIC.

(In other [and more] words, what the others said.)

Find another CFI. This guys's not even up to date to the 1997 version of part 61. You can log time in any aircraft for whcih you are rated, as sole manipulator of the controls.

The only thing you can't be is legal PIC, which the CFI is, provided he is current and has a medical. Maybe that's the trouble- he doesn't have a medical!? He doesn't have much of a brain. CFI-I-MEI-ATP

If you don't have a medical, the only thing the CFI can't do is put on the hood while you act as safety pilot. Anything else is fine as long as the CFI is current and qualified to act as PIC (even without landing currency on an instructional flight with no other passengers), and if s/he isn't, then the flight in that 172 isn't legal in the first place.

And as Bruce said, any CFI who doesn't know that should be viewed with suspicion. Just ask him/her which reg would be violated if you logged the time and s/he signed it -- that should end the matter.

If you don't have a medical, the only thing the CFI can't do is put on the hood while you act as safety pilot. Anything else is fine as long as the CFI is current and qualified to act as PIC (even without landing currency on an instructional flight with no other passengers), and if s/he isn't, then the flight in that 172 isn't legal in the first place.

And as Bruce said, any CFI who doesn't know that should be viewed with suspicion. Just ask him/her which reg would be violated if you logged the time and s/he signed it -- that should end the matter.

Not only that but Im sure he didnt hesitate to collect money for instructing, unless he declined the flight, but the way it sounds he flew with the OP.

he doesn't sign the logbook, you don't sign the check :)

find a new CFI

In your place, I'd complete the log book entry showing myself as PIC and give it to him to sign. If he declined, I'd print his name and the note "legal PIC" in the comments block (same way I'd note a safety pilot if I flew with one), smile, and be on my way to find a new CFII. But do log it if you care to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back