Can I upgrade my medical?

Jonathan Stein

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
wannafly
My HIMS AME just submitted all my paperwork to the FAA for a special issuance third class medical certificate. If the FAA ends up issuing me a special issuance for a third class medical under the conditions that I continue to participate in the HIMS program for the next 3 or 5 years does that mean I am I able to upgrade that to a first class medical during that 3-5 year period? Does the FAA process the third class medical faster than a first class when it comes to getting a special issuance with a HIMS protocol?

thanks

So in my 3rd class medical there is a section that says “if you meet all of the requirements for recertification and are otherwise “medically” qualified, your HIMS AME is authorized to special issue an airmen medical cert for 6 months (could be a year) for ANY class of pilot duties”
Ahhhh so easy!! Nope :) But the requirements for a HIMS 3rd and 1st are different. 1st class will require a HIMS trained psych and the full neuro cognitive battery with a HIMS neuropsychologist. My current problem is that I was issued a 3rd class SI and then my AME gave me a 1st class at one of my exams which triggered a nasty letter from OK for the neuro battery. Nasty as in - get this done in 60 days or else. So in short, things got overlooked, my AME rushed and sent in something that shouldn’t have been sent in and now I have a withdrawn special issuance - aka grounded.
In short, yes you can upgrade but if you don’t have a HIMS “federal level / grade” psych evaluation AND the neurocog psychological side done, it will just bite you down the road . Make sure your AME directs you to get the right exams done up front with the right professionals and then sends in everything for the upgrade. Get it done early as 1st class HIMS take an extra 3ish months vs 3rd class.

I flew over 1000 hours building time in 12 months to go to the airlines and now I’m sitting around trying to straighten out the doodoo 9 months later. Sucks!!!!

1st class HIMS cases are worked out of DC and take longer
3rd class HIMS are worked out of OKC and generally are faster.

So in my 3rd class medical there is a section that says “if you meet all of the requirements for recertification and are otherwise “medically” qualified, your HIMS AME is authorized to special issue an airmen medical cert for 6 months (could be a year) for ANY class of pilot duties”
Ahhhh so easy!! Nope :) But the requirements for a HIMS 3rd and 1st are different. 1st class will require a HIMS trained psych and the full neuro cognitive battery with a HIMS neuropsychologist. My current problem is that I was issued a 3rd class SI and then my AME gave me a 1st class at one of my exams which triggered a nasty letter from OK for the neuro battery. Nasty as in - get this done in 60 days or else. So in short, things got overlooked, my AME rushed and sent in something that shouldn’t have been sent in and now I have a withdrawn special issuance - aka grounded.
In short, yes you can upgrade but if you don’t have a HIMS “federal level / grade” psych evaluation AND the neurocog psychological side done, it will just bite you down the road . Make sure your AME directs you to get the right exams done up front with the right professionals and then sends in everything for the upgrade. Get it done early as 1st class HIMS take an extra 3ish months vs 3rd class.

I flew over 1000 hours building time in 12 months to go to the airlines and now I’m sitting around trying to straighten out the doodoo 9 months later. Sucks!!!!

Jon- HIMS psych or HIMS alcohol?

Thanks for the Info. I already went thru all the required testing.

Third class for that is OKC... 7 mos. currently.
First Is in DC...6 mos currently.

Third class for that is OKC... 7 mos. currently.
First Is in DC...6 mos currently.
Does becoming an “interested airman” somehow shorten the time? If so how do you do that?
Thank you

For this situation it does not There is only one reviewer who does these in OKC, and he's backlogged a long way. Wash. DC has several hundred cases backlogged.

Jon- HIMS psych or HIMS alcohol?

I will be submitting for 3rd class HIMS drug/alcohol reconsideration soon and am also curious what the process would be to upgrade to a higher class.

The FAA did not request any neuropsych testing for the 3rd class. Would this be required if I would like to upgrade to a 1st/2nd class at some point?

HIMS psych does not require require the cognitive testing for 1st?

Something like mild depression or adjustment disorder for example.

~ a solid year once 3rd class HIMS SI issued, then you can begin the upgrade. 6 month if there are extenuating circumstances.

Hi Navid, you seem really knowledgable. What about 3rd to 2nd? My AME recently sent in a letter requesting the upgrade. Was that the way to go? FYI I had the nero-psych to get the 3rd already due to my frequency and passed that so it's already part of my file if that's a requirement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back