Can I take my neurocognitive battery before I go to the physical?

Nuwn123

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nuwner
I was talking to my AME and we were considering having me go do my neurocognitive battery first (for a previous diagnosis of ADHD) before doing the physical so we can send everything they need (drivers record, grades, etc) + the test results in 1 big packet for the FAA.

Has anyone heard of doing this, rather than waiting for the letter back from the FAA saying what we need to do? We found someone that would be willing to perform the battery before receiving the letter from the FAA.

You're not paying attention. YES YES YES. That is HOW YOU DO IT.
You found a HIMS psychologist who hasn't forgotten he/she IS A PSCYHOLOGIST!!

Thank you for the response. The only reason why I am asking is that it seems that the conventional route for doing this is waiting for the "deferral letter" from the FAA, then doing the battery. And most psychologists told me that they require a letter from the FAA before they conduct the testing.

So I was just making sure that it is worth doing the battery first, and sending everything all in one? Do you think it would save some time? Would there be any issues doing it in this fashion?

Good luck Op.

The FAA should really update their stance on ADHD diag giving how much it was thrown around to millenials.

Seems to me if you have not taken any meds for years and your driving record is fine, you should be GTG.

Good luck Op.

The FAA should really update their stance on ADHD diag giving how much it was thrown around to millenials.

Seems to me if you have not taken any meds for years and your driving record is fine, you should be GTG.
I appreciate it. I know I will be flying soon.

Can't stop wont stop!! Just trying to find the way to get into the cockpit FASTER since the process for this is FOREVER.
yep god forbid your momma put you on adderrall when you was in 7th grade because you were grades were slippin because you all of a sudden were interested in girls.

Thank you for the response. The only reason why I am asking is that it seems that the conventional route for doing this is waiting for the "deferral letter" from the FAA, then doing the battery. And most psychologists told me that they require a letter from the FAA before they conduct the testing.

So I was just making sure that it is worth doing the battery first, and sending everything all in one? Do you think it would save some time? Would there be any issues doing it in this fashion?

The battery is totally worth doing first and sending everything all in one. It will save you so much time, it's not even funny. @bbchien , who replied earlier, is an AME who works with a lot of difficult cases and cases like yours, and getting everything done before you get the deferral letter is something he recommends a lot as a timesaver and as a way to stave off issues like not getting appointments in time, etc. Good luck on your medical and flight training!

Being in a similar situation, does this mean it could all go in in one pass and also be able to know if you pass before you submit? I would love to be able to go basic med it don’t want to lose the sport pilot option.

Good luck Op.

As much as I want to agree with this statement I can't. I was on adderall and had to go through the cogscreen and neuropsychological exam and while I did well on it and now question the legitimacy of the ADHD diagnosis I can say that now that I'm training (11.5 hours in now) the multi-tasking in the plane is way way different than getting on the freeway in a car. That isn't to say that there isn't conclusive proof that those with ADHD do have worse driving records but I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. I do however also think that there has to be a better, faster and less expensive way to come to the conclusion of whether you are cognitively fit to fly.

I just took the cog screen last week. The FAA wanted the full test. Im pretty sure not everyone has to take the whole thing. My case (head injury) triggered the full battery of tests. It took two days and cost $3800. I didn’t know what part they wanted until the letter came from the FAA. I would hate to think I spent two days and all that money and find out later I could have taken only half of it for less money. But then maybe your AME already knows what you need. I don’t know where your located but there is a doctor in Lexington Ky that got me in within a week. Good luck.

I just took the cog screen last week. The FAA wanted the full test. Im pretty sure not everyone has to take the whole thing. My case (head injury) triggered the full battery of tests. It took two days and cost $3800. I didn’t know what part they wanted until the letter came from the FAA. I would hate to think I spent two days and all that money and find out later I could have taken only half of it for less money. But then maybe your AME already knows what you need. I don’t know where your located but there is a doctor in Lexington Ky that got me in within a week. Good luck.

Thanks for your response... My HIMS AME I am in contact with knows everything that I need for the case, so I should be all set! Thanks for the information.

The battery is totally worth doing first and sending everything all in one. It will save you so much time, it's not even funny. @bbchien , who replied earlier, is an AME who works with a lot of difficult cases and cases like yours, and getting everything done before you get the deferral letter is something he recommends a lot as a timesaver and as a way to stave off issues like not getting appointments in time, etc. Good luck on your medical and flight training!
Thanks for the response!

As much as I want to agree with this statement I can't. I was on adderall and had to go through the cogscreen and neuropsychological exam and while I did well on it and now question the legitimacy of the ADHD diagnosis I can say that now that I'm training (11.5 hours in now) the multi-tasking in the plane is way way different than getting on the freeway in a car. That isn't to say that there isn't conclusive proof that those with ADHD do have worse driving records but I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. I do however also think that there has to be a better, faster and less expensive way to come to the conclusion of whether you are cognitively fit to fly.

Do you know anyone with legit ADHD?

They literally can't drive a golf cart with out wrecking :eek:

It's a racket.

Follow up questions to this. Does it matter where you get the cog test from or is it all standardized? If there's room for interpretation, are there any suggested places around Chicago to get it done?

Lastly, I know I'll need the test, so can I just go get it before even talking to the AME, or do I need a referral for it?

Follow up questions to this. Does it matter where you get the cog test from or is it all standardized? If there's room for interpretation, are there any suggested places around Chicago to get it done?

Lastly, I know I'll need the test, so can I just go get it before even talking to the AME, or do I need a referral for it?

It definitely matters. You'll have to go to someone on the FAA list of neuropsychologist because they have the specific training to score it against airmen standards or something. From what I understand if you go to someone who isn't on their list and they'll pretty much throw your results in the garbage.

in such cases it is better to apply and receive guidance from the FAA as to exactly what they want.

It definitely matters. You'll have to go to someone on the FAA list of neuropsychologist because they have the specific training to score it against airmen standards or something. From what I understand if you go to someone who isn't on their list and they'll pretty much throw your results in the garbage.

Also I had my cogscreen/neuropsychological scheduled before I went to the AME however I was working off of a denial from 2013 that I just decided not to do anything with so I already had paperwork and my AME visit just reopened the old file. The neuropsychologist will need a copy of the files the FAA has on you so I'd think you will be required to do your exam first and have the FAA send you the paperwork and then schedule your evaluation.

Do you know anyone with legit ADHD?

They literally can't drive a golf cart with out wrecking :eek:
This is actually not true. I know several people who were not diagnosed until their own children went through screening. That's when they realized they also had it and got themselves tested. These are all people who went to top 10 colleges and grad schools and have had very successful careers. Extraordinarily smart, so were able to go undetected for decades. None are pilots, but a few are ER docs and surgeons.

I was talking to my AME and we were considering having me go do my neurocognitive battery first (for a previous diagnosis of ADHD) before doing the physical so we can send everything they need (drivers record, grades, etc) + the test results in 1 big packet for the FAA.

Has anyone heard of doing this, rather than waiting for the letter back from the FAA saying what we need to do? We found someone that would be willing to perform the battery before receiving the letter from the FAA.

So how did you make out doing it this way? Did the FAA accept it? Did you get your licence? We are going thru this exactly with our son right now and considering doing it the same way

This is actually not true. I know several people who were not diagnosed until their own children went through screening. That's when they realized they also had it and got themselves tested. These are all people who went to top 10 colleges and grad schools and have had very successful careers. Extraordinarily smart, so were able to go undetected for decades. None are pilots, but a few are ER docs and surgeons.
When you say "got themselves tested", what exactly do you mean? Do you know if it is the same battery of tests the FAA uses? I am curious because for some docs "testing" is just asking a bunch of yes/no questions on a form you take home with you.

in such cases it is better to apply and receive guidance from the FAA as to exactly what they want.
I am of the opposite school. If you already know what will be required, waiting to be asked for it, just about guarantees that you won’t be able to meet the timing of demand letter for the evaluations….and makes for denial.

…..just more and more “go around rounds”.

Yeah that’s what happened to me. I’ve been working through issues caused by a casual “family Doc” ADD misdiagnosis and Adderall scrip in my past. On 11/1 got my letter stating they needed Cog Screen, as expected. Earliest appt I could get was 12/22. HIMS AME sent packet to FAA w my results (which I passed) on Jan 6. On Feb 1 (90 days after letter) I got a “denied” notification from FAA due to not responding in 90 days. AME re sent package via fax. He told me it was taking Ok City 3weeks+ to just log in the received packages which caused me to get the system generated denial for not complying. A day or so later my status on Med Express reverted back to “Final Review” stage which is where it still sits today.

The uncertainty and waiting is frustrating.

Dr. Fowler disagrees. We waited for the letter from the FAA and THEN did what they wanted. Worked out, too.

You do whatever works for you……(!)
But the answer to the OP’s question remains “yes he can….”

The question is does Adderall improve anyone's ability to concentrate, or does it only work on people who truly are diagnosed with ADHD only? I had a co-worker who got a script to finish grad school he said it helped he didn't think he had ADHD quit taking it after he graduated. I asked how he got it told me that he found a doctor on the internet who did a 5-minute virtual exam.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back