Can I Still Become a Pilot If I Have Psychotic Depression?

WebMD defines "psychosis" as "When you lose touch with reality and see, hear, or believe things that aren’t real." If the OP's symptoms really fit that definition, then I can see how flying would not be a good idea. Probably better to run for political office instead. The last part of that definition would fit right in.

If you're interested in commercial aviation (ie. a career) then this is useless babble, but otherwise you've got tons of non-medical options: Part 103 aircraft, balloons, gliders and perhaps light sport.

A quick note on medicals as relates to the ballooning world. It used to be that no one (student, private, commercial) required a medical... things are changing due to the idiotic balloonist in TX that killed over a dozen passengers in 2016. Interestingly enough, it's not as much the NTSB or FAA that is mandating changes (though they probably will at some point in the coming future), it's the insurance companies (of which there are only a few who cover ballooning operations). My agency came out with a memo last year that starting in 2018, commercial pilots will require a second class medical and ALL pilots flying a balloon of 140,000 cubic feet or greater (6-10 passenger and above) will need at least a third class medical regardless of commercial ops or not. This is a rare example of literally one person's F-up changing an entire industry. The FAA knows little about ballooning so the BFA (Balloon Federation of America) jumped on them and the NTSB to 'work together' before stuff gets too out-of-hand, regulatory speaking.

I've forgotten the details: Would the pilot in that balloon accident have been weeded out by an aviation medical exam?

I've forgotten the details: Would the pilot in that balloon accident have been weeded out by an aviation medical exam?

Is this a pun(?) because yeah, I think he was doping pretty hard (not sure if during the accident flight or not, but he was a known pot-head / druggie). As Mason points out, the multiple DUIs would have done him in for sure (assuming proper reporting was done... rarer than you might think in this computer age). I shouldn't speak to the specifics as I really don't know the exact cause, but as I've heard, he was a major substance abuser so drugs may well have played a part. A cardinal rule of balloon flight (well, most any flight I suppose) is not to be sinking over or near power lines. Seems like common sense but you see a lot of high-time commercial guys going right into wires... I don't understand that.

Another major safety issue that is being uncovered in busy commercial advertising and ride ops is equipment being flown out of annual and in disrepair. Again, not sure how this is happening; it's pretty simple to keep an aircraft in good health and in annual.

Is this a pun(?) because yeah, I think he was doping pretty hard (not sure if during the accident flight or not, but he was a known pot-head / druggie). As Mason points out, the multiple DUIs would have done him in for sure (assuming proper reporting was done... rarer than you might think in this computer age)...
No pun intended. I just didn't remember what his history was.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back