Can I sport pilot or do I have to go glider????

Bluehair

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bluehair
Hello

I hold a Private Pilot license, but I haven't flown since about 1990. I had a 1st class medical issued in 1988, and then I tried again for a 3rd class in 1993. It was deferred due to kidney stones and I haven't flown since. I now have the itch again, but I'm afraid to try another medical for fear the doc will find something else. I've had a couple of types of cancer which are now under control, but who knows what they'll find wrong. So...

Can I fly Sport Pilot since my last physical did not result in a denial or a revocation? My 1st class expired in 1990 and the 1993 application was a practical denial but not a legal denial. The FAA still shows it as a deferral.

I know I can fly motor glider without any problems. You can fail a flight physical and still fly motor glider with a self launch license. 15 hours or so of glider training and I'm back in the saddle. The problem is they have huge wings, so where would I tie down? Also, they are few and far between. My preference would be for light sport.

Should I wait for the new regulations to come out in 2023?

I believe if your medical was deferred and you didn't do what the FAA asked, that deferral would have turned into a denial.

(b) A person using a U.S. driver's license to meet the requirements of this paragraph must—

(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

I called them, and they still show it as a deferral.

I hate to rain on your parade but the FAS has defined any exam that does not result in an issuance as a denial.

But getting cleared in your situation is easy- get a urinary ultrasound!

So they are daring me to take a physical. If I fail, glider is my only option. If I pass, then I don't need to limit myself to sport pilot.

I hate to rain on your parade but the FAS has defined any exam that does not result in an issuance as a denial.

But getting cleared in your situation is easy- get a urinary ultrasound!
Easy if you don’t have more stones…..

OK. I thank everyone for their input. I'll go to the doctor!

So they are daring me to take a physical. If I fail, glider is my only option. If I pass, then I don't need to limit myself to sport pilot.

If you fail, ultralights and balloons would also still be an option.

Sounds like you've had some other medical issues besides the stones. I'd have an AME do a consultation and go over your history to give you an honest assessment. Don't complete the MedExpress and start an exam until you and the AME have high confidence you have all necessary documentation ready to submit and you'll be issued.

Probably doesn't apply in your situation, but I've heard anecdotes of recurring imaging required if they suspect retained stones. If you pass then you can use BasicMed going forward as long as you meet all the other criteria. That could be useful if they put you on a onerous SI.

Lots of information out there on BasicMed. Here's a start: AQ-Rev 5 (faa.gov)

Hello

I hold a Private Pilot license, but I haven't flown since about 1990. I had a 1st class medical issued in 1988, and then I tried again for a 3rd class in 1993. It was deferred due to kidney stones and I haven't flown since. I now have the itch again, but I'm afraid to try another medical for fear the doc will find something else. I've had a couple of types of cancer which are now under control, but who knows what they'll find wrong. So...

Can I fly Sport Pilot since my last physical did not result in a denial or a revocation? My 1st class expired in 1990 and the 1993 application was a practical denial but not a legal denial. The FAA still shows it as a deferral.

I know I can fly motor glider without any problems. You can fail a flight physical and still fly motor glider with a self launch license. 15 hours or so of glider training and I'm back in the saddle. The problem is they have huge wings, so where would I tie down? Also, they are few and far between. My preference would be for light sport.

Should I wait for the new regulations to come out in 2023?

what rules are changing in 2023?

I've had a couple of types of cancer, other stuff over the years. If you buy an old house, you'll find a little dry rot if you dig hard enough. Between the expense and the other issues, I want more certainty in a medical outcome.

In 2023, the FAA is supposed to come out with changes to the light sport regulations that will do things like add weight to the airplanes and expand the features and complexity they can have. Maybe faster, fly farther. MAYBE include medical reforms. I've heard some rumors of doing away with the class 3 medical all together. I have to wait for the NPRM to come out before I get too far into this I guess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back