Can I log this flight as PIC??

colojo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Colojo
I just purchased an RV-8 that needs to be ferried halfway across the country. I'm a private pilot, ASEL, but I do not have my tailwheel endorsement. My tailwheel instructor has offered to fly the plane back for me, and he says that if I ride in back I can log the time as PIC because I'm type-rated and he's training me. I'm skeptical, though, for two reasons: (1) I don't have a tailwheel endorsement; (2) There is no throttle or rudder pedals in the back seat, so there's no way I can be sole manipulator of the controls.

So, can I log this proposed flight as PIC or not?

Thank you.

I just purchased an RV-8 that needs to be ferried halfway across the country. I'm a private pilot, ASEL, but I do not have my tailwheel endorsement. My tailwheel instructor has offered to fly the plane back for me, and he says that if I ride in back I can log the time as PIC because I'm type-rated and he's training me. I'm skeptical, though, for two reasons: (1) I don't have a tailwheel endorsement; (2) There is no throttle or rudder pedals in the back seat, so there's no way I can be sole manipulator of the controls.

So, can I log this proposed flight as PIC or not?

Thank you.

No throttle, no rudder = no PIC in my book since sole = singular.

The FAA is on record saying that in the context of Part 61, "flight controls" means basic flight controls (pitch, roll, yaw) plus throttle. So, no can log, since you cannot be the sole manipulator of controls you don't have.

I would also point out that you're not going to be able to get a TW endorsement or log any training for checkout in this plane since the instructor must have a full set of roll/pitch/yaw/power controls, and the back seat in your plane doesn't have them. Do you have access to another RV-8 which has such controls? Or do you have some alternative plan for type-specific training after getting a TW endorsement in some other TW airplane?

Last edited:
I would also point out that you're not going to be able to get a TW endorsement or log any training for checkout in this plane since the instructor must have a full set of roll/pitch/yaw/power controls, and the back seat in your plane doesn't have them. Do you have access to another RV-8 which has such controls? Or do you have some alternative plan for type-specific training after getting a TW endorsement in some other TW airplane?

I'm getting my TW endorsement in a Decathlon and will get my RV-8 checkout in a friend's plane that has back seat controls.

Good thinkin'
Amen. Too many hairy-chested macho men think they can check themselves out in anything. That's one reason we have the absurdly high accident rate for E-AB's in the first 10-15 hours in type. More folks thought like you, fewer accidents like that would happen.

Back