Can I get a medical if my driver's license has been suspended?

A

Anon

So I was charged with a minor in consumption of alcohol (not a dui). It is my one and only conviction but utah law states that my license needs to be suspended. I'm gonna get it back after 3-5 days. It's not a long suspension but it's going to go on my record. Is it possible to receive a first class medical after this?

You should be issuable, but you're going to have to provide documentation. You'll need drivers records from everywhere you lived (which fortunately for you probably isn't that much of a history) to show that this is the only one. You're going to need the court documents (all you can put together) on the charge that led to the suspension (start getting that now, these things have a habit of becoming unavailable over time).

hmmm... license suspension for an alcohol related incident.

Can't imagine how that could effect a medical. Well, that is, if you don't mind lying on the two questions that will be repeated frequently in this thread.

ETA: When was this event? If it was 20 years ago, I'm with Ron. If it was 20 months ago... prospects change

hmmm... license suspension for an alcohol related incident.

Can't imagine how that could effect a medical. Well, that is, if you don't mind lying on the two questions that will be repeated frequently in this thread.

ETA: When was this event? If it was 20 years ago, I'm with Ron. If it was 20 months ago... prospects change

OP here. Well, I was charged with it this last January. I have not been convicted yet, though I will be in July. My medical is good for another 4 years. So if that's relevant

You should be issuable, but you're going to have to provide documentation. You'll need drivers records from everywhere you lived (which fortunately for you probably isn't that much of a history) to show that this is the only one. You're going to need the court documents (all you can put together) on the charge that led to the suspension (start getting that now, these things have a habit of becoming unavailable over time).

If I get all of these and prove it's my only charge do you think the faa is going to care? I'm even getting the conviction dropped due to a plea in abeyance but the license suspension and arrest report stay on my record.

OP here. Well, I was charged with it this last January. I have not been convicted yet, though I will be in July. My medical is good for another 4 years. So if that's relevant
Did you possess the medical certificate when you experienced this alcohol incident?

If that is a yes, you report this incident as required by 14 CFR §61.15?

Did you possess the medical certificate when you experienced this alcohol incident?

If that is a yes, you report this incident as required by 14 CFR §61.15?

Is it? 61.15 talks about driving while intoxicated offenses being reportable, and he said it wasn't a DUI, just consumption of alcohol by a minor. Some states suspend minors' driving licenses if they're caught with alcohol even when not in a vehicle. Sounds to me like he doesn't have to report anything.

Goes without saying, but I'll say it. If a 1st class medical/flying career is your goal, ditch the drinking. You've got one strike already. Next one will likely be a career ender.

DO NOT get another alcohol or drug-related incident, regardless of whether or not it is a moving violation. If you have >= 2 "incidents" in your life, the FAA may consider you "dependent" and then the hoops will really start. If you end up with >= 2 incidents, CAMI will claim "dependence" because you continued to have adverse legal issues related to alcohol and drugs. In other words, "you didn't learn your lesson."

Don't **** up again.

DO NOT get another alcohol or drug-related incident, regardless of whether or not it is a moving violation. If you have >= 2 "incidents" in your life, the FAA may consider you "dependent" and then the hoops will really start. If you end up with >= 2 incidents, CAMI will claim "dependence" because you continued to have adverse legal issues related to alcohol and drugs. In other words, "you didn't learn your lesson."

Don't **** up again.
Ya I'm not planning on another charge. I'm being good now. But am I okay right now?

Ya I'm not planning on another charge. I'm being good now. But am I okay right now?

I'm not an expert so I can't tell you you're okay or not. I'm only willing to say that you should talk to an expert. Did you report the incident like @AggieMike88 wrote? If not, that seems like a great way to ruin your medical.

Also, nobody plans on another charge. Just see that you don't get one. If that requires making a conscious decision to not drink ever again, that's probably the safest bet.

Anon, you had a licesnse suspension and you had a BAC. Follow the FAA's protcol for first time alcohol offense (documented public behavior is what this is all about).

You will need:

A criminal background search
A DMV search to the origin.
Copies of the paperwork from the MIP including the BAC.
An alcohol evaluation by the AME.

But the most important thing is "cut that S_it out" There is no place for alcohol in an aviator.
As with airplanes you land straight wingers at 1.3 Vso. There is no reg that sez so, but if you do not, you get punished.
Similarly for alcohol. There is no reg that sez you have to be sober. But if you're not, you get punished.

B

Back