Can I fly tomorrow?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I enjoyed the fun of my 1st colonoscopy today! Propofol was administered at noon and I'm back home and feeling good.

Am I good to fly tomorrow afternoon or should I give it another day?

Judgment call. I'd be OK for day VFR, based upon when I had that exceptionally fun procedure.

The prep was the BEST, wasn't it? :D

Am I good to fly tomorrow afternoon or should I give it another day?

I think the rule of thumb is, once you feel safe enough to fart again, then you're good to fly. :skeptical:

The prep was the BEST, wasn't it? :D

:happydance: I gotta go again... I gotta go again..... ooof ooof... Do I really have to keep going until it's clear, or is this neon yellow color acceptable? Honey I'm out of teepee again... Little help?

Last edited:
I think the rule of thumb is, once you feel safe enough to fart again, then you're good to fly. :skeptical:

:happydance: I gotta go again... I gotta go again..... ooof ooof... Do I really have to keep going until it's clear, or is this neon yellow color acceptable? Honey I'm out of teepee again... Little help?

Went thru a roll and a half myself, and drank every blessed drop of that dank swill. :vomit:

Hey Bill, can the doctor now tell you where you're from? (wait for the punchline of the video below)

Propofol is supposed to be pretty quick acting and pretty quick clearing. When we turn an infusion of it off in the ICU we can usually wake up the patient in less than 10 minutes if they've not been on it long. 5 half lives cant be that long...

When are you cleared to drive by your doc?

Depends on what's used. Usually, propofol is NOT used alone for colonoscopy. Versed actually lasts a lot longer than we think.

I'm safer with a blanket 48 hours....

Check this youtube out.... :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmO93kQvtjs
At my hospital it is but has to be given by an anesthetist or anesthesiologist. We require a 48 hour wait after any type of conscious sedation to resume driving.

Propofol is supposed to be pretty quick acting and pretty quick clearing. When we turn an infusion of it off in the ICU we can usually wake up the patient in less than 10 minutes if they've not been on it long. 5 half lives cant be that long...

When are you cleared to drive by your doc?

At the age of 24 I had my tonsils taken out.
I am not sure what they used but I was out for over 12 hrs. I awoke with the doctor slapping me in my face, yelling at me and saying that I was waking up. Something about I needed to spit or bleed to death.

Doc said no driving for a month.

I am not sure what they used but I was out for over 12 hrs. I awoke with the doctor slapping me in my face, yelling at me and saying that I was waking up. Something about I needed to spit or bleed to death.

That was probably overkill.

That was probably overkill.

A week after this surgery I had to go see this doctor. I pull in to the parking lot and this doctor was getting out of his car.
I go home after the appointment and my mom calls me. She says the doctor just called her and chewed her out because I was driving. She said he said something about how I kept dieing on the table. MY heart kept stopping is what she says he kept saying.
I told her...He never said a thing to me, and he never did. Maybe because I was young and would not have listened anyway, thought mom was the one to call. He was right.

I should have said a week after being released from the hospital. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital to have my tonsils removed. This was 1985 I was 24. I believed they over did they use of this drug...just a little...I could be wrong...

Last edited:
A week after this surgery I had to go see this doctor. I pull in to the parking lot and this doctor was getting out of his car.
I go home after the appointment and my mom calls me. She says the doctor just called her and chewed her out because I was driving. She said he said something about how I kept dieing on the table. MY heart kept stopping is what she says he kept saying.
I told her...He never said a thing to me, and he never did. Maybe because I was young and would not have listened anyway, thought mom was the one to call. He was right.

I should have said a week after being released from the hospital. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital to have my tonsils removed. This was 1985 I was 24. I believed they over did they use of this drug...just a little...I could be wrong...
You had issues other than sedation. I say no flying for 48 to 72 hours after sedation if there are no other medical factors at play.

At my hospital it is but has to be given by an anesthetist or anesthesiologist. We require a 48 hour wait after any type of conscious sedation to resume driving.

Thanks, guys, I won't fly today. Instead I went for a five mile run with my wife. :D

Thanks, guys, I won't fly today. Instead I went for a five mile run with my wife. :D
Good decision. The drugs used for sedation can get absorbed in fat and may have subtle effects that are not apparent. Flying is not an activity where we can afford to be even slightly impaired.

Really?, I watched the whole video and they don't show the wife!
That's just mean.
The drugs they give for sedation really mess you up. Here she is.

Attachments

• Yarna.jpg
    Yarna.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 151

The only time I had a general anesthesia the doc said I couldn't drive for three years

But that may have been due to the fact I was 13 at the time. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back