Can I elect not to wear my contacts?

F

Fly4funpilot

My situation is quite unique--I have an irregular astigmatism that makes it difficult to correct my vision to 20/20 without having to wear rigid contacts. Without my contacts, my vision is 20/25, both eyes. I didn't even notice I had an astigmatism until I visited an Optometrist for the first time in years.

If I hold a 1st class medical that requires contact lenses, can I elect NOT to wear them when I am conducting 3rd class activities? 3rd class only requires 20/40 distant vision. My vision is quite good without correction, and rigid contacts can be quite painful for extended periods of wear. I would rather not wear them if am I just flying around for fun.

I've flown for hundreds of hours without any correction and I don't feel that I am any less safe when I don't wear my contacts.

Nope. There is no certificate that allows one set of conditions for first class operations and another for third.
Just doesn't exist.
Or give up the First and get an unrestricted third. But you can't have both.

Looks like I answered my own question from the FAA website:

Can I exercise BasicMed and hold a medical certificate at the same time?

A: Yes. If you are operating under BasicMed, then you must comply with the BasicMed operating limitations (e.g. flying only within the U.S. and at or less than 250 knots). When operating under BasicMed, you are not exercising the privileges of your medical certificate.

I will go the BasicMed route.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back