Can I Download Jeppeson or Garmin Database with IPad?

MBDiagMan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I need to purchase database updates for my 430W. I don’t mess with Windows any more. Now that I am retired I get by fine with an IPad. Is there an adapter available that will let me download to the card with my IPad?

Thanks for any help!

Flight Stream 510 will do it. But for $1,500. - EDIT - Won't work with a 430, need a GTN

I need to load the data card via an IPad. I know that Flightstream 510 doesn’t work with a 430 and I don’t think 210 will allow it.

Got a usedcomputer store near by? Pick up a cheap computer that can be used to download to the correct disc used by the 430w.

Next option, the Garmin card reader but I have no clue if it works with any tablet.

Otherwise, find a good friend who will help you with their computer.

There is the Bad Elf Wombat. Though it only works with Jeppesen nav data. But it does support the GNS cards and writing the data to the cards from an iOS device. You still have to have the Jeppesen USB to GNS card adaptor, which then plugs in to the Wombat. I have no experience with it, just know it exists. I'd include a link, but I'm not at 5 posts yet :)

What @murphey said..... an older generation laptop can be found for $100-150.... Ask around on the North Texas Aviators Facebook group to see if anyone has one they would sell.

Got a usedcomputer store near by? Pick up a cheap computer that can be used to download to the correct disc used by the 430w.

Next option, the Garmin card reader but I have no clue if it works with any tablet.

Otherwise, find a good friend who will help you with their computer.
The Garmin reader also only works if you use the Garmin databases(which can be cheaper than Jepp) but it's still a USB device and probably only going to work on stuff running windows.

The Garmin reader also only works if you use the Garmin databases(which can be cheaper than Jepp) but it's still a USB device and probably only going to work on stuff running windows.
Thought Garmin worked on Macs these days? Doesn’t matter, a cheap windows box is always cheaper than a cheap mac.

Thought Garmin worked on Macs these days? Doesn’t matter, a cheap windows box is always cheaper than a cheap mac.
I haven't tried it, but the docs say it didn't when I got it. But yes a cheap new windows tablet/laptop that will work with it is like $100 or less for used.

Okay, I found out that my son in law has a PC at his office solely for this purpose, including the card reader etal. It is an unused office and he said I could use it any time. That sort of made up my mind about whether to use Jeppeson or Garmin. I bought the Garmin bundle, then downloaded it to the cards, put them in and made sure they showed up in the initialization. I will fly it and test tomorrow morning. I logged in the avionics log and that only leaves doing and logging the VOR check and the plane will be legal for the clouds.

Thanks for the feedback!

I need to purchase database updates for my 430W. I don’t mess with Windows any more. Now that I am retired I get by fine with an IPad. Is there an adapter available that will let me download to the card with my IPad?

Sure, there's an adapter setup, but it'll cost you five figures to install! ;) (FlightStream + GTN)

I concur with those who say to buy a cheap used laptop for this.

Be glad you have the 430W and not something older... We had a b*tch of a time updating the database on our former KLN 89B. Our initial setup (VM running an old version of Windows, USB-Serial converter, cable) quit working and we ended up having to pick up an old university surplus laptop that had both USB and Serial ports and ran Windows XP. Download database onto USB stick at home, take to hangar, run extension cord to cockpit because laptop is so old the battery is shot, plug in power and panel interface cables, launch ancient software, twist and poke a bit, wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Unplug and pack it all up.

I will never regret the coin we dropped on the GTN and FlightStream. Now, the only thing I have to do is launch Garmin Pilot once a month, the first time I'm in the plane after the database updates come out. No wires, no fuss.

Back