Can I charter a TBM for a weekend?

david.h

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david.h
I was just day dreaming, and wondered how someone would go about chartering a turboprop for a weekend trip to see if it fits the mission? I don't have the means to own one now, but to try it would be a fun weekend holiday- sometime in the next year or so, and see how it fits (or not). Could I fly right seat? Be a knowledgeable person up front? SEL with 300 hr or so.

Last edited:
I would think that is up to the owner. You don't see too many turboprops out on the rental line.
-Skip

I would think that is up to the owner. You don't see too many turboprops out on the rental line.
-Skip
Not looking to rent, chartering with a pilot and see how the operation is. Just want to know the experience if possible before striving for something that may or not be what I expect.

Absolutely, it's possible. Just contact a charter company that operates them, or a charter broker, and I'm sure you'll be able to arrange something. It's definitely going to cost, though.

If you reach TBM financial territory, why not look at a Honda Jet, or other similar single pilot biz jets?

An FBO near here has a TBM specifically for charter flights. It’s attractive for destinations of more than a few hundred miles. The FBO owner, who is also an instructor and DPE, is the pilot. I haven’t asked him, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he allowed a paying customer to sit up front.

An FBO near here has a TBM specifically for charter flights. It’s attractive for destinations of more than a few hundred miles. The FBO owner, who is also an instructor and DPE, is the pilot. I haven’t asked him, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he allowed a paying customer to sit up front.
You can probably sit up front if they are approved for single pilot operations, but, per regulation they are not allowed to let you manipulate the controls.

Back