Can I carry R-22 in my plane?

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
R-22 the refrigerant, not the whirlybird.
Can I carry an unopened virgin 30lb tank of R-22 in the plane?
Anyone know?

Thirty pounds of freon in a sealed tank is way safer than 30 pounds of gas sloshing around in a wing. Just secure it well.

Check to see if the tank has a pressure relief valve.

Non-toxic and non-flammable -- no problem. Only issue I can see would be if it vented and filled the cockpit with fog, and that's not likely.

Thanks guys.
Mostly I was concerned with carrying a pressurized vessel.

A 30 pound tank of R-22 is like gold.

I know that in order to carry freon above a specific volume (not sure what the volume is) requires a permit for a vehicle. No idea of that extends to aircraft or not.

A 30 pound tank of R-22 is like gold.

I know that in order to carry freon above a specific volume (not sure what the volume is) requires a permit for a vehicle. No idea of that extends to aircraft or not.
I think if I recall correctly the volume is low - like 75 lbs.

Open a window if there are any odd smells. R-22 has a rather distinctive odor.

Not poisonous, but it will exclude oxygen and freeze anything nearby as it vents/boils.

Due to the latter, store it only in rear cargo, tied down securely. Assume you will encounter severe turbulence even if it's really unlikely. If the tank requires upright storage, store it upright and tied in place.

And a 1 atm change in gauge pressure will make very little difference. It's much less than a change in pressure due to storing the cylinder on a hot day vs. a cold day. It's always liquid and gas in equilibrium, so the internal pressure is determined only by temperature (it's just the vapor pressure).

There may be some legalities about hauling it for hire.

Back