Can AWOS/ASOS data be accessed online?

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
A lot of FBOs have a monitor with a live display of the AWOS data that changes minute by minute, is there any way to access that data online?

I know I can get the METARs, but I'm wondering if there's a place online to access the current conditions - i.e. data I'd get over the radio or if I called into the station.

If I recall correctly, the weather observers do their thing at 0+55, and that is what show up as a METAR. They are not going to run out and make another observation just because you call and ask for one. METARs are, of course, available on the ADDS page.

Bob Gardner

Just before the top of the hour is traditional though the rules say they're supposed to issue an observation anytime anything significant occurs (typically going IFR or VFR). I don't know where the automated observers set their threshold for kicking out a new METAR.

A lot of the AWOS's have telephone numbers that you can call up if you want to listen to it talking live (and you're too far away to hear it on the radio).

\__[Ô]__/;1439254 said:
A lot of FBOs have a monitor with a live display of the AWOS data that changes minute by minute, is there any way to access that data online?

I know I can get the METARs, but I'm wondering if there's a place online to access the current conditions - i.e. data I'd get over the radio or if I called into the station.
http://www.anyawos.com/index.html

I have not used it. Looks like a subscription service.

\__[Ô]__/;1439254 said:

AFaIK that's a local connection and the stations transmit data to a the central distribution system every 15 minutes.

\__[Ô]__/;1439254 said:

There are airports that provide an online AWOS type service. They contract with a provider that provides the weather station and web based displays. They provide the link for the airport manager to provide to FBOs (if it was not the FBO that set it up). The airport manager and FBOs advertise the link.

http://www.saiawos.com/onlinelist.php
If you happen to be at one of their airports.

Example: 1B1 - Columbia County Airport Hudson, NY
http://www.saiawos2.com/1B1/index2.html

Thanks for the link. This looks really nice. Unfortunately the coverage is pretty sparse.

This is the closest to what I'm looking for. What I really want is a live feed to the data they use to make the diagram. I'm getting the sense that there isn't a way to access that for an arbitrary airport.

Back