Can anyone suggest a ferry pilot? Moving my plane to Vegas.

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
My BFR expired at the end of September, my plane is still in Lancaster, CA. After a month of trying I have not been able to schedule a CFI and an airplane to fly do my BFR.

Without a BFR, I can’t move my plane, without a plane, I can’t complete my BFR.

Can anyone suggest a ferry pilot with Grumman time?

Why not find a CFI in Lancaster who, for the cost of a one night in one of the better Vegas hotels, a trip through the Buffett, and a SWA ticket home would fly with you and count the flight as the Flight Review?

Easy enough to do the ground items to occupy your time while in air, and toss in the odd airwork item as desired.

Why not find a CFI in Lancaster who, for the cost of a one night in one of the better Vegas hotels, a trip through the Buffett, and a SWA ticket home would fly with you and count the flight as the Flight Review?

Easy enough to do the ground items to occupy your time while in air, and toss in the odd airwork item as desired.
Or find a CFI in Vegas, fly him to Lancaster. Do the FR back to Vegas..

I’m open to either of those solutions if I can work out the logistics.

I just don’t know many people in either location.

Edit: I hate how defeatist this post sounds, if I had any idea what was coming in 2020, I would have done many thing different, including preparation for this reality where I either am moving constantly to avoid derailing my career

Last edited:
Or find a CFI in Vegas, fly him to Lancaster. Do the FR back to Vegas..
Yep, either way he’s going to need a CFI if he ever plans to get current again. Might as well get the best bang for the buck and get the BFR done on the way.

Edit: I hate how defeatist this post sounds, if I had any idea what was coming in 2020, I would have done many thing different, including preparation for this reality where I either am moving constantly to avoid derailing my career

It's a hot airplane market right now, so if flying isn't in the cards for you with your work situation, dump the plane while prices are top dollar. Otherwise, head out to the airport and start asking around. You'll eventually find someone who knows someone.

:) Just to put it in perspective, if you read it out loud as "I'm working too much to be able to take time to move the plane I own", it does kind of define first world problem.

What about putting up a notice on the board of one or more local FBO's that you're looking for someone to fly a plane back for you? I'm not positive, but think you can still act as safety pilot if someone wants to act as PIC and get some simulated instrument training, too.

Yep, either way he’s going to need a CFI if he ever plans to get current again. Might as well get the best bang for the buck and get the BFR done on the way.

You are correct, but I’m not looking for best bang for buck, I’m looking for lowest time to flying.

And yeah, this is a super first world problem, thanks for the perspective.

Also, I am planning to sell it, but I want to get it nearby. I am having trouble getting brokers to talk to me about selling a little trainer, and selling it while it’s 300 miles away is tough considering I am busy with a new job and no time off (yet).

My BFR expired at the end of September, my plane is still in Lancaster, CA. After a month of trying I have not been able to schedule a CFI and an airplane to fly do my BFR.

Without a BFR, I can’t move my plane, without a plane, I can’t complete my BFR.

Can anyone suggest a ferry pilot with Grumman time?

Message me and I'll PM you my phone. I can probably help.

It’s a Yankee, the flight to Vegas is +/- an hour.

The plane has 2000ish hours/1000ish SMOH

1. complete flight review locally in some rented nonsense like a 152/172

2. retrieve your plane at your leisure?

I seem to be missing something here.

I have been trying to do that for a month, but I have been unable to schedule it.

1. complete flight review locally in some rented nonsense like a 152/172

2. retrieve your plane at your leisure?

I seem to be missing something here.

That’s what I was thinking, I do flight review in a rental 172, CFIs at local school don’t have Mooney time.

Thanks to @Htaylor for ferrying my plane. In the last few days, my life has become even more complicated, so I will be selling my plane.

Its listed in the classified if anyone wants to take a look.

Back