Can anyone recommend a customs broker?

nickmatic

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nickmatic
I'm buying a Mooney from Canada and importing it into the US here. I've spoken with CBP and they have outlined in detail what I need to do to get a customs entry, including telling me very clearly that I do not need to purchase a bond for the entry. They say any decent customs broker can do the entry for me quickly and easily without a bond. I called Livingston, who was recommended to me, and they insist that I need a bond and they cannot do it without one.

Does anyone have a broker they have used that knows how to do this??

Thanks!
Nicholas

I'm buying a Mooney from Canada and importing it into the US here. I've spoken with CBP and they have outlined in detail what I need to do to get a customs entry, including telling me very clearly that I do not need to purchase a bond for the entry. They say any decent customs broker can do the entry for me quickly and easily without a bond. I called Livingston, who was recommended to me, and they insist that I need a bond and they cannot do it without one.

Does anyone have a broker they have used that knows how to do this??

Thanks!
Nicholas

Have no idea if John can help, but worth a call. He does all my customs brokerage for my business, mostly stuff from the far east.

John Wu
Silverwings Unique, Inc.
451 N. Oak St.,
Inglewood, CA. 90302
Tel: (310) 674-8889 x 115
Fax: (310) 677-6532
email: johnw@suilax.com

And you can buy a customs bond for like $250 online.

Have no idea if John can help, but worth a call. He does all my customs brokerage for my business, mostly stuff from the far east.

John Wu
Silverwings Unique, Inc.
451 N. Oak St.,
Inglewood, CA. 90302
Tel: (310) 674-8889 x 115
Fax: (310) 677-6532
email: johnw@suilax.com

And you can buy a customs bond for like $250 online.

GREAT advice. I had no idea I could buy my own bond. A quick google search shows there are indeed many options.

I'll give John a call tomorrow. Thanks!

Talk to Peter Conner of Yankee Aviation, Plymouth, MA. Pete is a DAR and done plenty of imports and exports, conformity inspections, etc. I'm sure he can help. His number 508-746-5511.

Talk to Peter Conner of Yankee Aviation, Plymouth, MA. Pete is a DAR and done plenty of imports and exports, conformity inspections, etc. I'm sure he can help. His number 508-746-5511.

Thanks Scott- I just spoke to Peter. He was extremely friendly but admitted he's not the most knowledgable about customs procedures. He did say he's never heard of anyone needing a bond, though. Good data point.

Ok so it looks like I'm going to buy the bond from netbonds.net and use my customs broker to do the entry (Livingston). Good tip on buying the bond online... I just saved $300. Thanks cowtowner!

You are welcome, let you buy me a beer if we ever cross paths! Good luck with the new plane

I don't know if I did it the right way or not, but I would have the old owner or anybody with a Canadian pilots license fly it to America and then you complete the sale. I bought my Mooney from Canada, the owner flew it to a MSC service center where the prebuy and then annual and new airworthiness certificate were then done. Can you imagine the hassle of selling it up there, turning in the airworthiness trying to find a DAR and/or paying for one to go up there, somehow getting the annual/reinspection done, etc. Again I am no expert.

Back