Can AME check off my CACI - Asthma Worksheet?

P

PT_STL

Can an AME effectively sign off the CACI worksheet for my asthma? All the information I can find says, "Treating Physician" to fill out, but I haven't been to an asthma doctor in over a decade.

I was diagnosed with asthma and started doing bi-annual asthma doctor visits at age 3. When I was 20, my asthma doctor(same guy) said my condition had remained the exact same for so long that an annual visit would be all that was necessary. I moved to another state for college and haven't gone back to an asthma doctor since. I haven't been on any maintenance medication since I was in high school and take a puff (half dose) of Albuterol maybe a handful of times a year.

I'm 31 now, and after getting my PPL this past summer, I have decided to go after a commercial license via ATP flight school, so I'll have to get a 1st class medical to enroll soon.

My 3rd class medical exam was in October 2018 and ended up getting initially deferred due to a minor heart issue I had reported having when I was a teenager. After about $2,500 in cardiologist tests to prove to the FAA it was no longer an issue, I was cleared for the 3rd class medical in February 2019.

Upon recently checking the letter sent to me in Feb 2019 from OKC, it says "You meet the CACI program criteria for asthma; ... be sure to bring in the CACI worksheet for every medical exam you do from here on out. "

I didn't realize asthma was even an issue here! I had to provide no documentation of any kind involving asthma during my previous AME exam. I'm thankfully good on the heart thing, I just have to report if I experience symptoms ever again. But, my question is do I need to go find a new asthma doctor, and spend $1k on an initial visit, which I'm assuming would necessitate a PFT by default. OR, given the fact that I meet all the requirements for the CACI - Asthma Worksheet to NOT have to provide PFT results, is the AME allowed to say, "obviously your asthma is well-controlled and not an issue; Check." ?

Any info is appreciated!

The asthma CACI sheet is targeted to the PCP.but if a rescue inhaler is all you have for meds AND you can show via pharmacy records of fill, but a single inhaler a year, the AME can conclude that you qualify by the exception in the LST box on the page and doesn’t need the PCP :)

So, head to the drugstore and get your 1/1/19 to present, printout and bring it with you....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back