Can a sport pilot instructor...

None of it matters anyway until you kill somebody. ;)

I hope to have the grace to go at the same time then. ;-> Actually, as soon as the FAA takes notice of you for anything, suddenly they’re combing your ass hair for fleas.

I hope to have the grace to go at the same time then. ;-> Actually, as soon as the FAA takes notice of you for anything, suddenly they’re combing your ass hair for fleas.
Kill somebody, land on the White House lawn, make a ridiculous YouTube video, **** off your neighbor . . .

FSDO got back to me:

Hello Mr. Frederick,

Thank you for your question. Regardless of the ratings the tailwheel student holds, A Sport Pilot instructor can only give the endorsement in a Light Sport airplane, but it’s valid for any tailwheel airplane that the holder is authorized to fly.

See AC 61-65H - Certification: Pilots and Flight and Ground:

A.71 To act as pilot in command in a tailwheel airplane: § 61.31(i). This endorsement may
be given in a sport pilot aircraft by a sport pilot instructor, or in an airplane by a flight
instructor with a rating other than a sport pilot rating.

I certify that [First name, MI, Last name], [grade of pilot certificate], [certificate number],
has received the required training of § 61.31(i) in a [make and model] of tailwheel
airplane. I have determined that [he or she] is proficient in the operation of a tailwheel
airplane.

Please call if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

[redacted]

FAASTeam Program Manager (Temp) – Operations
Grand Rapids, FSDO
3196 Kraft Ave. SE, STE 103
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

FSDO got back to me:

Hello Mr. Frederick,

Thank you for your question. Regardless of the ratings the tailwheel student holds, A Sport Pilot instructor can only give the endorsement in a Light Sport airplane, but it’s valid for any tailwheel airplane that the holder is authorized to fly.

A.71 To act as pilot in command in a tailwheel airplane: § 61.31(i). This endorsement may
be given in a sport pilot aircraft by a sport pilot instructor, or in an airplane by a flight

I certify that [First name, MI, Last name], [grade of pilot certificate], [certificate number],
has received the required training of § 61.31(i) in a [make and model] of tailwheel
airplane. I have determined that [he or she] is proficient in the operation of a tailwheel
airplane.

Sincerely,

[redacted]

Grand Rapids, FSDO
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
... followed by dead silence from those who insisted it could not be so.

FSDO got back to me:

Hello Mr. Frederick,

airplane.

Sincerely,

[redacted]

Grand Rapids, FSDO
Grand Rapids, MI 49512

This makes sense, you sure it came from the FAA? ;)

And not a lot of noise from those of us who said yes, but didn’t site 61.65H.
Actually, we’re just too nice to rub people’s noses in it when they’re wrong.

and/or we know that the only reason a FSDO interpretation is better than anyone else’s is that it means they probably won’t issue a violation for it.

Actually, we’re just too nice to rub people’s noses in it when they’re wrong.

and/or we know that the only reason a FSDO interpretation is better than anyone else’s is that it means they probably won’t issue a violation for it.

Well, the CC has also said they aren't going to answer most questions they get asked, and will defer to the FSDO.

Back