Can a Piston airplane go from Los Angeles to Hawaii?

Being tempted is not the problem. Simply falling asleep while flying or driving happens often. I recall the 310 pilot flying to the east coast in a 310. He radioed off the east coast that he had in fact dozed off, did a 180 and headed back but was never found. Happens in autos -trucks- busses, often, kills people regularly.

Deep is relative. Anything over 8 feet gives you the same result, doesn't really matter.

Having said that, I agree with you, I don't think I could ever sleep in the front seat (either one) of a running airplane. I have flown tired a lot of hours, I've never been tempted.

That is true, (About the 8 feet) but that fear will keep me alert, Fear is not all bad as long as it serves a positive purpose.

The better idea is to bring someone with you so you guys can take turns.

That is true, (About the 8 feet) but that fear will keep me alert, Fear is not all bad as long as it serves a positive purpose.

The better idea is to bring someone with you so you guys can take turns.

That extra weight will probably be the deal breaker though..:rolleyes:

That extra weight will probably be the deal breaker though..:rolleyes:

To Hawaii? Yeah, until you get into a cabin twin you'll have issues with weight. The old 310 would be marginal. I'd want to have about 1900lbs of fuel so with 2 people I would be taking off 600lbs over gross, which is slightly over 10% over so I'm sure I could get the permit and I don't think they would give me trouble declaring a second pilot a 'required crew member' for the flight.

The trick is have an autopilot and an effective alarm clock and get scheduled naps.

To Hawaii? Yeah, until you get into a cabin twin you'll have issues with weight. The old 310 would be marginal. I'd want to have about 1900lbs of fuel so with 2 people I would be taking off 600lbs over gross, which is slightly over 10% over so I'm sure I could get the permit and I don't think they would give me trouble declaring a second pilot a 'required crew member' for the flight.

The trick is have an autopilot and an effective alarm clock and get scheduled naps.

Naps..:dunno::dunno:.....:confused:...

What is it, a 16-18 hour flight to Hawai:dunno::dunno:..

If someone can't stay awake for that duration, they should NOT pass a 3rd class medical.. IMHO..

Naps..:dunno::dunno:.....:confused:...

What is it, a 16-18 hour flight to Hawai:dunno::dunno:..

If someone can't stay awake for that duration, they should NOT pass a 3rd class medical.. IMHO..

Wrong, it's about fatigue control. There is no traffic at your altitude that is not under positive control of an aircraft carrier.:lol: Everyone else is way above you. It's much more valuable to be alert and rested when coming into the terminal environment at the end of that 16-18 hrs. There is a reason long haul flights carry extra crew for crew rest.

Wrong, it's about fatigue control. There is no traffic at your altitude that is not under positive control of an aircraft carrier.:lol: Everyone else is way above you. It's much more valuable to be alert and rested when coming into the terminal environment at the end of that 16-18 hrs. There is a reason long haul flights carry extra crew for crew rest.

Geez Henning.... You are resting for 15 hours of the trip, just babysitting the GPS /autopilot.. I cannot see a reason to actually have to go to sleep..:dunno:

Geez Henning.... You are resting for 15 hours of the trip, just babysitting the GPS /autopilot.. I cannot see a reason to actually have to go to sleep..:dunno:

There are basically 15 switches in your brain that turn off in the sleeping process, not all of them will necessarily be off at the same time. Now you can rest most of those circuits while relaxing and stay conscious, but there are a couple of circuits you can't. Optimally, your body would like to rest the circuits every 4 hrs or so, and it is common for people to close their eyes and take a 10 minute nap, and that is what you should. If you haven't rested those circuits in 16 hrs you are operating in deep fatigue.

There has been a lot of research done on this, the best results for extended period alertness is to get a 10 minute nap every 4 hours.

There are basically 15 switches in your brain that turn off in the sleeping process, not all of them will necessarily be off at the same time. Now you can rest most of those circuits while relaxing and stay conscious, but there are a couple of circuits you can't. Optimally, your body would like to rest the circuits every 4 hrs or so, and it is common for people to close their eyes and take a 10 minute nap, and that is what you should. If you haven't rested those circuits in 16 hrs you are operating in deep fatigue.

There has been a lot of research done on this, the best results for extended period alertness is to get a 10 minute nap every 4 hours.

You are probably right....

I must be wired differently.. I am either wide awake or dead asleep... A nap for me will result in being groggy for an hour or more after a nap.... YMMV..

You are probably right....

I must be wired differently.. I am either wide awake or dead asleep... A nap for me will result in being groggy for an hour or more after a nap.... YMMV..

That is the result if you nap more than 15 minutes but less than 2 hrs. If you let it develop to REM sleep, then you should let the cycle play out through the first deep sleep cycle so the thought processing can complete.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "over water effect" on engine noise......the moment you head out over the ocean you will hear things going on you never noticed before.........lol.........I look back fondly on my ocean experience, KSNA to Catalina the proverbial 26 miles across the sea!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "over water effect" on engine noise......the moment you head out over the ocean you will hear things going on you never noticed before.........lol.........I look back fondly on my ocean experience, KSNA to Catalina the proverbial 26 miles across the sea!

From Newport Harbor Sea Bouy to Avalon Harbor was 42 miles on a 240° bearing IIRC.

Back