Can a PIC...?

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
No, this is not a logging question :)

Can a plane’s captain marry passengers? Can this be done in a private plane?

edit:
I should have prefaced it with “it’s my understanding that ship’s captains can marry people on board”. Does that apply to plane’s captains?

Last edited:
Huh? :dunno:

If said PIC is also an ordained clergyman or judge than I don’t see why not.

Not officially, though in most states you can get the marriage license and then have a "fun" ceremony in flight.

There's a lot that can be done in a private plane. This is one of the easiest, definitely the most legal, and probably the most normal, interesting one.

Huh? :dunno:

If said PIC is also an ordained clergyman or judge than I don’t see why not.

I should have prefaced it with “it’s my understanding that ship’s captains can marry people on board”. Does that apply to plane’s captains?

You might have to be in international airspace...

Which is probably the same as ship captains...have to be in international waters.
That's not the case with ship's captains either. Except in limited circumstances, ships captains do not have any marriage authority.

edit:

Hmm. Seems I remember reading some stuff about a lot of aviation law has it’s roots in Maritime Law. So yeah, maybe. But there is that pesky ol’ post 9/11 stuff that pretty much isolates the Captain from the passengers.

Hmm. Seems I remember reading some stuff about a lot of aviation law has it’s roots in Maritime Law. So yeah, maybe. But there is that pesky ol’ post 9/11 stuff that pretty much isolates the Captain from the passengers.
Again, the initial premise is wrong. Ships captains, despite lore, don't have the authority to perform marriages.

edit:

apparently in Romania you can....

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2018/12/can-sea-captains-really-officiate-legally-binding-marriages/

I
think the "ships Captain marrying authority" was propagated in my generation by too many episodes of "Love Boat". But if you get the paperwork to become an ordained minister you can perform a marriage ceremony in your plane, or car or backyard for that matter.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...s-really-officiate-legally-binding-marriages/

I
think the "ships Captain marrying authority" was propagated in my generation by too many episodes of "Love Boat". But if you get the paperwork to become an ordained minister you can perform a marriage ceremony in your plane, or car or backyard for that matter.
I always got a kick out of the Love Boat intro...guy yelling, “Boss Hogg, da ship! Da ship!” Always makes me want to go out and buy a Chrysler Córdoba.

:D

One of the best movie lines came from the movie ''African Queen''.

Captain of the German ship Louisa: As he marries Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn....

By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...s-really-officiate-legally-binding-marriages/

I

only partly(or mostly I guess) true. Must be in the same county you get your marriage license. Could be difficult in an airborne plane.

only partly(or mostly I guess) true. Must be in the same county you get your marriage license. Could be difficult in an airborne plane.

Another reason every county needs an airport so you can park on the ramp? :)

I restrict my PIC authority to pre-marital sex counseling. I don't charge for it, but I do log the time. Is this legal?

Actually, in both the states I'm familiar with, a license issued by any county is good for solemnization anywhere within the state.

Can a PIC...?

Ok, a slightly different scenario....

You are flying a plane. The weather goes from slightly IFR to heavy embedded thunderstorms. Suddenly, there is a bright flash of light.... one of the engines just came from together. (ok, real airplanes have more than one engine....subject to discussion later)

You realize that with the one engine not operating, you are now to heavy to hold altitude to make it to the nearest airport. (assuming we are flying over deepest, darkest part of the African continent, a place where Abbott and Costello haven't even been)

You make the decision to lose access weight. The passengers throw out luggage. Still too heavy, so the passengers remove the seats and jettison those. Still too heavy. So the passengers jettison every loose item that can be thrown out....

The plane is still too heavy. Someone is going to have to leave the plane to save the others. No one volunteers.

Can a private pilot make the decision on who shall be thrown out, or does that decision have to come from a commercial pilot or ATP.???

You are flying a plane. The weather goes from slightly IFR to heavy embedded thunderstorms. Suddenly, there is a bright flash of light.... one of the engines just came from together. (ok, real airplanes have more than one engine....subject to discussion later)

You realize that with the one engine not operating, you are now to heavy to hold altitude to make it to the nearest airport. (assuming we are flying over deepest, darkest part of the African continent, a place where Abbott and Costello haven't even been)

You make the decision to lose access weight. The passengers throw out luggage. Still too heavy, so the passengers remove the seats and jettison those. Still too heavy. So the passengers jettison every loose item that can be thrown out....

The plane is still too heavy. Someone is going to have to leave the plane to save the others. No one volunteers.

Can a private pilot make the decision on who shall be thrown out, or does that decision have to come from a commercial pilot or ATP.???

Oh I've seen this one.

It's Joe's plane so he should decide, but really once they get into ground (er...water?) effect over the cape they should be fine unless the second engine also gets hit.

I’m not sure I’m seeing the difference between this and the original scenario...it’s pretty subtle. Can you clarify?

I think if you climb to 68,640 feet (13 miles) AGL you're in international skies so you can do it. :p :rofl:

I think if you climb to 68,640 feet (13 miles) AGL you're in international skies so you can do it. :p :rofl:
There's no such limit. And even if it was, just like the "international waters" argument earlier, it's a myth that this conveys any authority to the captain to perform marriages (especially not in US-registered vessels).

It depends on what you mean by "marry," but if you just want a yes or no answer, in my state, the answer is yes.

Back