Can a girl handle a line services position?

I suddenly have a strong urge to get fueled, where is that place?

I realize that you probably weren't able to focus on this :)rofl:), but near the bottom of that Web page, it says "Bay Minette Aviation, Inc. is a new facility located only 17 miles from the city of Mobile."

I made the rounds and I hope I'll hear back soon.

Aside from being able to lift 50-70 lbs are there any other physical requirements?

Visual? Hearing? Anything?

I'm not to worried as I have a 3rd class for my ppl but I can't hear certain tones due to an injury when I was younger .

I'm not to worried as I have a 3rd class for my ppl but I can't hear certain tones due to an injury when I was younger .

A modicum of intelligence, the ability to follow instructions and a basic understanding of how aircraft work. More than one lineperson has walked into a running prop, been sucked into an intake or crushed by a hangar door. There are some risks that go along with working on a ramp, make sure you get good training, stay alert and NO TEXTING.

I made the rounds and I hope I'll hear back soon.

Aside from being able to lift 50-70 lbs are there any other physical requirements?

No. If you saw some of the guys I've worked with.... well you'll figure it out. Learn the phonetic alphabet ASAP though, it'll make your life easier. http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/phoneticalphabet/
A modicum of intelligence, the ability to follow instructions and a basic understanding of how aircraft work. More than one lineperson has walked into a running prop, been sucked into an intake or crushed by a hangar door. There are some risks that go along with working on a ramp, make sure you get good training, stay alert and NO TEXTING.

YES. Please be smart. We've had to can people who just couldn't figure it out. I had a coworker fall off a ladder fueling an Airbus, broke his shoulder and wrist. If you're smart and keep your head up you'll be fine. Don't use your phone on the ramp, besides you don't want jet fuel on it anyway.

Excuse this terribly insecure post...

This morning I just happened to be in the area of an FBO ( I won't share details just yet as I don't want to jinx anything ) but I walked in dropped off a resume had a chat and now I have an interview Tuesday.

On my way out, one of the CSRs followed me to the car and said that I should think twice about the position. She said being able to lift a 70 lb suitcase when I go On vacation is very different from doing it everyday. That may be true but I think if I lift properly, I might be sore but I'll definitely get some toned muscles out of it.

I don't want to get full on feminist but the guys I saw on the ramp are the same hight as me and I don't see why I couldn't build some muscle and do the job.

After that objection, she went on to at that I should " be prepared for all the -expletive - the guys will throw at me. And just know that they will make me " doubt yourself every single day"

I'm not naive in thinking that the guys aren't going to be a little apprehensive when I show up.. I know they think I might just hang out and do the easy stuff but I think once they see me go at it.. It will all be good. And.. I'm not prissy or easily offended at all.. I'm not going to run to HR if they start talking about Howard stern or cracking jokes about his sybian. ( if you don't know what that is.. It's Nsfw)

I know it will be physical and it will be an adjustment but what is really like to know is was she just being catty? Or is there some real truth to that?

Please, if you have any experience with line services .. Tell me all the stuff that's swept under the rug. Anything that I should know before I leave my current job for this one.

They can't get your goat if you don't tell them where it is...
Unless it gets downright hostile, let it roll off your back.

On my way out, one of the CSRs followed me to the car and said that I should think twice about the position. She said being able to lift a 70 lb suitcase when I go On vacation is very different from doing it everyday. That may be true but I think if I lift properly, I might be sore but I'll definitely get some toned muscles out of it.

Hmmmm...
BIG red flag....... That CSR has no right to make those comments and there is a 100% chance he/she is not to be trusted... Hopefully your interview will go ALOT better and the person doing the interview is more professional.... IMHO...

ps.. Hang in there,, you sound like a well grounded gal who wants to get ahead...:yes:

sounds to me like you are going to get her job and she knows it

...I don't see why I couldn't build some muscle and do the job.

Most likely true. There are plenty of women bodybuilders, so I think it's purely a matter of how much strength you want and/or need to achieve.

Excuse this terribly insecure post...

This morning I just happened to be in the area of an FBO ( I won't share details just yet as I don't want to jinx anything ) but I walked in dropped off a resume had a chat and now I have an interview Tuesday.

I don't want to get full on feminist but the guys I saw on the ramp are the same hight as me and I don't see why I couldn't build some muscle and do the job.

After that objection, she went on to at that I should " be prepared for all the -expletive - the guys will throw at me. And just know that they will make me " doubt yourself every single day"

I'm not naive in thinking that the guys aren't going to be a little apprehensive when I show up.. I know they think I might just hang out and do the easy stuff but I think once they see me go at it.. It will all be good. And.. I'm not prissy or easily offended at all.. I'm not going to run to HR if they start talking about Howard stern or cracking jokes about his sybian. ( if you don't know what that is.. It's Nsfw)

I know it will be physical and it will be an adjustment but what is really like to know is was she just being catty? Or is there some real truth to that?

Please, if you have any experience with line services .. Tell me all the stuff that's swept under the rug. Anything that I should know before I leave my current job for this one.

She's just being catty.

Most likely true. There are plenty of women bodybuilders, so I think it's purely a matter of how much strength you want and/or need to achieve.

Most of those girls are nasty. There is a difference between being toned and being the abomination that most female body builders are.

Most of those girls are nasty. There is a difference between being toned and being the abomination that most female body builders are.

Some of them are downright gorgeous. However, I'm not saying that she needs to carry it as far as competition bodybuilders do in order to fulfill the requirements of a line service position. My point is simply that women are capable of building strength.

Last edited:
The kdcu former fbo owner was a woman. She was a small thing and could out push, pull, drag, and fuel any of her line guys.

She fuels her line guys? ;)

Kinda rough isn't she, dragging them too? Can't they walk? :)

My impression is that you have already thought more about how this job is done than 90+ percent of the ramp-rats that currently work the line. If you get the job, I'd be willing to bet you will find the work is no problem if you like doing it.

OTOH, I've been hanging out at the airport since before Lincoln was shot and have never once thought about doing any of that stuff. And now that I'm thinking about it I'm really glad that others want to do it, since I get more than enough laddering and pumping at the Sherman TX self-serv pump about once a month.

I'm not naive in thinking that the guys aren't going to be a little apprehensive when I show up.. I know they think I might just hang out and do the easy stuff but I think once they see me go at it.. It will all be good. And.. I'm not prissy or easily offended at all..
From your posts, it's clear that you've spent some time in aviation environments. I don't know what your experience has been like, but I often tell my friends that "the world of aviation seems to be stuck in the 1950s". A lot of the technology, the infrastructure, and the people I run into around the airport were in their heydey between 1950 and 1980.

And plenty of the social mores of those times seems to have survived at the airports I frequent, including the sexism and racism from those days.

The CSR may have simply been giving you fair warning. Maybe she gets a lot of that attitude from her colleagues and hates it, and wanted you to know what you're getting yourself into.

Sounds to me that you're not a delicate flower, and will be able to handle yourself. In the end, there's only one way to find out how good or bad the job is, and that's to give it your best shot. Hope you get an offer soon and get to figure it out for yourself!

OTOH, I've been hanging out at the airport since before Lincoln was shot and have never once thought about doing any of that stuff. And now that I'm thinking about it I'm really glad that others want to do it, since I get more than enough laddering and pumping at the Sherman TX self-serv pump about once a month.

I dont think anyone longs for a 'career in line-service'. I believe it is known as a 'job', the kind of employment where you show up, work and get a paycheck and maybe some tips.

Sounds like the poster is college-aged. In the universe of 'college student jobs', fueling aircraft and doing line-service stuff sure beats waiting tables at Applebees.

Looking at the guys who usually come to fuel our plane, I dont think 'superhuman strength' is one of their qualities.

As long as the proper attire is used is fine with me.:yes:

José

Attachments

• AVGAS Girls.jpg
    AVGAS Girls.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 26
Back