Can a Garmin 400W do Nav Approaches?

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
Could anyone with a Garmin 400(W) tell me if you can access and display Localizer/ILS approaches even though it does not have a Nav radio? Or is it limited to GPS approaches? I assume it could do LPV approaches of course.
Thanks,
Hish

I understand your question but don't know if Garmin specifically locks out or removes the approaches completely from the 400W, 420W or the later models like the GTN635 that don't have the VOR/ILS receiver.

The best hint I've seen without having ever used one of the "GPS only" units is in this Cirrus doc that says the approaches "aren't authorized" which would hint that they're in there but can't legally be used.

http://docplayer.net/44908245-Garmin-gnc-420-gps-navigator.html

He's not asking if the Nav-less units will legally do an ILS, folks. He's asking if when you go to select an approach at an airport if the ILS or VOR approaches are available in the approach list so the GPS can be used for situational awareness on the moving map display while the approach is actually flown using the outboard ILS receiver.

We briefly looked at the deals Garmin has on the 635 and remote transponder (would be a $5000 savings in our aircraft) and just keeping both King radios in the stack for VOR/ILS but our installer noted that would require another switch besides our already installed one to flip nav sources between three sources for the venerable old autopilot. Plus fiddly stuff like switching eyeballs to a different CDI as you join the approach at the FAF. Etc.

We decided it was much to fiddly to mess with it and the 650 in the top slot hooked to the top CDI made for a much more sane way to fly them all, versus bouncing all over the place configuring for an ILS.

Pretty sure you could put it in OBS mode, go direct to the FAF, dial in the course to the MAP and have a GPS approach that could "assist" the pilot in a localizer approach (no glideslope). And no, it wouldnt be flyable in IMC unless you have a localizer from another device.

Last edited:
Back