Can a drone related violation result in cert action?

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
As I understand it drones will be registered and more or less under the FAA's jurisdiction in the coming months.

Assuming:
1) The registered owner & operator holds a pilot certificate
2) A major incident occurs, for example a drone near wildfire interferes with authorized aircraft. Results in greater property damage.
3) FAA declares the operator, holding a certificate "should have known".

Does this imply that the FAA could take action against the operator's pilot certificate?

That is a great question. It might depend on whether the drone was being flown for fun (recreational) or under a commercial operation. Under the 333 Exemption required for any type of commercial ops (photography, inspection, etc.), the operator of the controls must be a licensed pilot. In that scenario I imagine there could be some enforcement.

I'd think so.... You would be considered an"expert" by simply holding a pilots certificate. Trying to say you didn't know would get you 10 lashings in court and an eruption of laughter upon uttering such stupidity.

Yup, if you got a FAA ticket better not get caught.

I think this footnote in the FAA's Compliance and Enforcement Bulletin No. 2014-2 pretty much says it all:

A certificate holder should appreciate the potential for endangerment that operating a UAS contrary to the FAA’s safety regulations may cause. Accordingly, a violator’s status as a certificate holder is an aggravating factor that may warrant a civil penalty above the moderate range for a single, first-time, inadvertent violation.

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/2150.3b_chg_6_.pdf

Back