Can a CFI issue endorsements outside the US?

Sammyt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sammy T
Can A CFII with the relevant endorsements, train and certify ppl holders with a high performance endorsement in international borders as a freelance CFII?

I believe your student would have to hold a US FAA license and be flying an N-registered aircraft under most circumstances. The only way I could see a foreign aircraft working is if the student had a local license (or conversion from the FAA license) and was acting as PIC. Not really sure about that.

I don't see anything in 61 Subpart H that prohibits/limits instructing in only N-registered aircraft, or only inside the confines of the US and its territories.

61 Subpart A does allow for logging of flight time in a foreign aircraft so long as it is:
An aircraft of foreign registry with an airworthiness certificate that is approved by the aviation authority of a foreign country that is a Member State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation Organization;​

So the CFRs of the US do not seem to prohibit that. However, the country in which one is instructing may.

In order to be flying a foreign registered aircraft, the PIC must have a local license and would thus be operating under that license. Presumably the CFI is not PIC.

The CFI would be operating under his FAA CFI certificate. So can a US CFI instruct a person operating under a foreign license?

In order to be flying a foreign registered aircraft, the PIC must have a local license and would thus be operating under that license. Presumably the CFI is not PIC.

The CFI would be operating under his FAA CFI certificate. So can a US CFI instruct a person operating under a foreign license?

These would be the regulations put in place by the country in which the flying is done. I don't feel like digging through every ICAO country's regs to see if this is universally the case. The US has no jurisdiction over what happens in Hypothenia.

But if I'm a US CFI in a N-plane in the Bahamas giving instruction to a FAA-issued pilot, nothing I see in the CFRs prohibits that from happening. What the Bahamas says could be something different. So wait to fill out your logbooks until you get back if they say no bueno.

You don't necessarily need a local license to fly a non-N registered aircraft abroad. I flew on my US certificate with an LOA from the Aussie CAA. Don't know how they would feel about foreign instructors though.

As far as the US regs go, there's no restriction on the aircraft registry for aeronautical experience, nor is there any geographical limitation. Instruction needs to be done by an authorized instructor which could be a US-certificated flight instructor or a appropriate foreign one.

Where the aircraft is registered is only the concern of the country hosting the aeronautical activity, not the FAA for a part 61 perspective.

For the most part, you can do all of your training outside the U.S. You run into issues taking knowledge tests and finding DPEs (they’re out there, authorized outside the U.S., but far fewer than in the US). For instrument work, part 61 regulations currently define an instrument approach as a procedure defined in part 97. Instrument approaches outside the U.S. do not fall under part 97. I suspect this is often inadvertently violated and I think the FAA may even be working to address this, but I’m not certain.

Back