Can a CFI do an IPC?

I really liked the good old days before the internet when common sense prevailed and people didn't waste so much time trying to "interpret" fairly clear written regulations.

I really liked the good old days before the internet when common sense prevailed and people didn't waste so much time trying to "interpret" fairly clear written regulations.

OTOH it does give some people something to do during an otherwise uneventful workday. We can't all have jobs that are winners..

Remember that part of his argument is that the Chief Counsel makes things up with the result they want in mind

That's not part of the argument. More like part of the conclusion.

Not that he would do such a thing.

I wouldn't. I'm playing devil's advocate. I think only instrument instructors should give IPCs, but why isn't it in 61.195(c)? The most likely explanation is that it was an oversight when the regulation was written, and the FAA is trying to fix it through advisory circulars (which are not regulatory) and Chief Counsel letters that make leaps of logic. That's not how it's supposed to work. Fact is, 61.195(c) enumerates when an instructor needs an instrument-instructor rating, and IPC isn't there. If it was, then there would be little to discuss, and Mr. Griffith would have never felt the need to seek an interpretation.

After all, an instructor not trained and certified to teach and evaluate instrument knowledge and skill being permitted to issue endorsements to pilots that they have that knowledge and skill is the height of reason and logic, isn't it?

What is legal and what is logical are rarely one and the same, I think know that as well as anyone.

Last edited:
Back