Can a building enter a Class Bravo?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
As anybody who has flown into Schaumburg knows, the Class Bravo shelf there is 1900 MSL (~1100 AGL) and it goes down to the surface just a block or so east of Woodfield Mall.
Space needle?

And not just any old space needle, mind you, but one that would have been, at a soaring 2,000 feet, the tallest building in the world.

Again, in Schaumburg.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnistswischlist/2006/06/the_schaumburg_.html Free registration required.
As we know, even if the building called in VFR, C90 wouldn't hear it. :goofy:

Last edited:
I guess you shouldn't hang glide from the control tower without first obtaining prior approval either.

Are there any places where ground obstructions enter outer rings of a Class Bravo? .. duhhhh... of course, in every inner ring to surface, I guess.

I'm saying the FAA would never allow it.

mikea said:
I'm saying the FAA would never allow it.
The FAA can't prevent it. All it can do is argue against it as a hazard to navigation. If it gets built anyway, the airspace will change.

Ken Ibold said:
The FAA can't prevent it. All it can do is argue against it as a hazard to navigation. If it gets built anyway, the airspace will change.

Is there not a federal preemption for structures over 200 feet AGL that requires FAA approval no matter what airspace it is in??

smigaldi said:
Is there not a federal preemption for structures over 200 feet AGL that requires FAA approval no matter what airspace it is in??

No, there is an FAA NOTIFICATION requirement. THe FAA can issue a determination of "no hazard to aviation" or "hazard to aviation". The determination is not binding on the proponant, though the FCC accepts such determinations in deciding on radio/TV/cell towers.

IIRC, the USA Today building in Rosslyn, VA was built despite the FAA's determination affecting the approach into DCA.

The FAA determination may affect local permitting and/or insurance, but the FAA itself cannot ban construction.

Back