Camping

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
I’m thinking I should get serious about this camping thing. Since my experience in camping dates back to sometime in my late teen’s or early 20’s, and all I did then was throw a sleeping bag in the back of the car and then crash in someone else’s tent, :eek: I believe I need an education on what I need bring to this affair.

Anyone want to volunteer?

kaye,
ill pm you Leahs email. shes a camping/paddling nut. camping to her is 30+ days in the woods or canadian tundra. you'll be set.

kaye,
ill pm you Leahs email. shes a camping/paddling nut. camping to her is 30+ days in the woods or canadian tundra. you'll be set.

Incredible thats just fantastic thats my idea of camping, Somehow I married a woman ( whom I love dearly) that thinks camping is staying at a Day's Inn. :dunno:

im more of a days inn person, compared to hoofing it through the tundra. a weekend camping under the airplane is OK with me though!

Incredible thats just fantastic thats my idea of camping, Somehow I married a woman ( whom I love dearly) that thinks camping is staying at a Day's Inn. :dunno:
To quote my wife: "Camping is a hotel without room service."

Although she does plan to use our popup camper when the dog is ready to go to shows. That oughta be interesting!! :yes:

Leslie and I just bought a tent, air mattress, and a couple of sleeping bags for a couple hundred dollars or so. It was about $400 less than we would have spent at REI, though we did join there.
Some of the differences in the "would cost $400 more" department is gear that is lighter, more durable, and sometimes more weather-resistant. This is important for back-packers who carry all their stuff with them for many long miles, but for a casual, "camp a short walk from my car/plane a couple times a year", the extra expense isn't necessarily justified.
-harry

Our kids, 12 and 10, expressed their desire to go camping a couple of weeks back. So I proceeded to go out and buy a tent, air mattresses and other gear we'd need to go tent camping for a weekend here and there. I was an avid camper in my "younger" days (aka pre-college) and I can honestly say I'm sad we waited this long to get into full time camping as a family.

After some discussion with the wife about how much we hate sleeping on air mattresses we returned the tent and the air mattresses and went out and purchased a brand new pop-up.

Our camping start up cost went from a few hundred dollars to multi-thousands... but I know we'll be more comfortable.

For the record, we got a 2007 Fleetwood Utah. Everyone's extremely happy with it and we can't wait for our first trip this coming weekend. :)

I've rented a 10' Fleetwood for the past two years at OSH (dealer sets it up) and found it to be quite adequate for 3 adults. We might try a 12' next year. Sure beats packing the plane with camping gear for the week.

For the record, we got a 2007 Fleetwood Utah. Everyone's extremely happy with it and we can't wait for our first trip this coming weekend. :)

and went out and purchased a brand new pop-up.

ummmmmmm........I can't find the trailer hitch on the airplane.....do you know where I should look????? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I’m thinking I should get serious about this camping thing. Since my experience in camping dates back to sometime in my late teen’s or early 20’s, and all I did then was throw a sleeping bag in the back of the car and then crash in someone else’s tent, :eek: I believe I need an education on what I need bring to this affair.

Anyone want to volunteer?

Come on up I will take you Duck hunting, the season opens Sept 1st.:yes:

Kaye, is your avatar a picture of you flying gliders???

Kaye, is your avatar a picture of you flying gliders???

Yep. It's 2 or 3 years old.....found the picture when I was rummaging around the computer. Didn't complete the rating as I didn't have enough brain power for both soaring and commercial add-on at the same time. Need to try it again. :yes:

ummmmmmm........I can't find the trailer hitch on the airplane.....do you know where I should look????? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm looking at mounting a gooseneck hitch on top of the fuselage over the passenger area. Then I could take my horse trailer on trips(there is a sleeping area in the front and horses are easier to pedal than bikes) :D

I just need to get that CG stuff worked out.

Barb

Well, even in a sober state of mind, the hubby still wants to come to the fly-in! :yes:

So based on this information, I've made a wifely decision and booked us a room at the Gateway Lodge for Friday and Saturday nights. Don't think I want witnesses to our first attempt at camping out together. :D :no: :rofl:

Well, even in a sober state of mind, the hubby still wants to come to the fly-in! :yes:

So based on this information, I've made a wifely decision and booked us a room at the Gateway Lodge for Friday and Saturday nights. Don't think I want witnesses to our first attempt at camping out together. :D :no: :rofl:
No fair, Leslie and I are going to have witnesses! You need to be in the same boat! It'll be a shared experience!

No fair, Leslie and I are going to have witnesses! You need to be in the same boat! It'll be a shared experience!

While this won't be our first fly-in camping experience, it will be our first trip this year - that always includes a few surprises itself ---- "Hey, what happened to the XXXXX that is usually in this pack? Oh yeah, we needed it for XXXXX and we forgot to put it back." Fun times! :D

Can we start a sign-up list for a 6Y9 "Dawn Patrol"? :D

WOW this thread reminded me that, while I have all the camping stuff I could possibly want, I'm not sure I remember where it is. I'm soooooo my mothers daughter. Guess I better find it, dig it out, wash it up, and figure out what it weights. I can't believe it's just a few weeks away.

kaye will you still need a ride over from Land o Lakes? i can pick up you and hubby one at a time. or we can get someone else with a more than 2 seater.

I did all the camping I could ever want when I was in the service. I pretty much consider roughing it as 3-star accomendations. That being said I will still be in a tent come labor day weekend.

kaye will you still need a ride over from Land o Lakes? i can pick up you and hubby one at a time. or we can get someone else with a more than 2 seater.

Depending on when ya'll and we get there, I have a two seater than could be used to transport a willing pax.

The nice lady at Gateway thinks I can get a rental car at the airport. I'll call Monday. If so, Karl gets the rental car and I get a ride in the Citabria!:yes:

Depending on when ya'll and we get there, I have a two seater than could be used to transport a willing pax.

You have the RV, right? I've never had a ride in one of those........can I get a ride back to LNL with you???

Only Red-Neck's planes have them. Mine is on a bar between the mains. Takes a long tongue on the trailer.

sounds good to me Kaye! Chris can take you back. The RV-7A of his is a blast.

Back