Camping with Plane @ Fun-N-Sun

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
Does anybody here have any firsthand experience camping by their plane at Fun-N-Sun? It looks like I may have the opportunity to fly down this year, but I'm sure it is too late to find lodging so I figured I would camp with my plane. I have the option of camping either in the Vintage camping area or the general aviation camping area on the west end of the runway. Is there any advantage of one location over the other? Do you have any other suggestions to help a newbie out? I've been to Fun-N-Sun a few times staying in hotels but I have never camped there. I would like to keep the camping gear to a minimum, but not forget anything essential. This is what I have in mind taking thus far.

Tent
Air Mattress
Camping Lights
Snacks (I do not plan on cooking)
Small cooler
Bug repellent

Anything else essential I'm overlooking?

I've camped on the West side a half dozen times. Always enjoyed it because there are always plenty of people around to enjoy a cold beverage with. The walk to show center is pretty long, though.

I've never camped in Vintage camping, but can tell you it is closer to show center. It seems like a place where only one in three owners actually camp with their aircraft, so there is less camaraderie. Also, with fewer owners around (and more walk-through traffic), vintage just seemed like a more risky location for my plane and my stuff...

Yep, if you click on my name (Iflyvfr) that's me at the West end back in '09 I think it was. Perfect weather the whole flight down and back. I don't remember bugs being an issue then, but I can remember how my dogs were barking after a day of trudging back and forth. The place is pretty big. I would recommend earplugs, get some super comfortable soft ones and you won't even know you're using them. Oh, and bring cash. Lots of it.

We parked near the south-side of the west field, not far from the port-a-lets (but not too close) and that was handy too IIRC.

I've camped on the West side a half dozen times. Always enjoyed it because there are always plenty of people around to enjoy a cold beverage with. The walk to show center is pretty long, though.
I bought a case of beer at the hut the first night and looked for a party tent near my plane. Carried that over and was making friends in no time! ;)

Camping at SNF rocks. You can buy margaritas on the field!

"Honey, this ain't Oshkosh..." :)

When setting up your tent, beware of fire ants. That was the first place I had ever seen them. They are easy to avoid, but you wouldn't want to pitch your tent on a nest, so check carefully before spreading your ground cloth.

Otherwise, I found SNF to be delightful. Sort of like OSH was in the 1980s, smaller, more compact. If I could get there this year, I would, but that weekend is "SandFest" here on the island, the biggest sand sculpting competition on the gulf, and one of our busiest weeks. :(

Been there several times, really enjoyed it, sometimes it gets cold, take something warm to sleep in. Meet lots of friends.

Not a bad experience,the showers leave a little to be desired. You can buy ice on the field for your adult beverage. After the show you meet some interesting people. I would use ear plugs when sleeping.

Hi Mick & Co,

Been to SnF MAAANY X & camped most. #1, If your plane is old enuf, stay at the Vintage Camp grounds. Lots of classics there Waco's etc..Also very close to the show entrances. As Jay said, watch out for the Fire Ant hills & have at it. The bathrooms & showers are great. I have never waited more than 5-10 min to take a shower & they are very nice, with Hot Water! I bring along great coffee ( I won a coffee co.) & have lots of visitors in the am, & enjoy drinks later on. The Night time air shows are a blast!
Us Wing-Xer's should meet up & enjoy some ground time & talk:)
Let me know if you will be there.
Capt. Gary
Ft Lauderdale

If your plane is old enuf, stay at the Vintage Camp grounds.

Yes, that was one of my big questions. It looked like the Vintage area might be good but since I've never camped there I did not know. I finished my consultant contract in South Carolina last Friday. I am starting a new contract job toward the end of this month but have not received my start date yet. I requested to start on the 27th. They asked the earliest date I could start and I said the 20th but was hoping for the 27th so I could go to Sun N Fun. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If everything works out I would be glad to meet up with other POA'ers.

Thanks everyone for all the responses and feedback. It is very much appreciated. :yes:

I'm planning to fly in first thing Friday, camp one night in GAC and fly home after the airshow on Saturday. Done this show many years so for me two days there is enough. I'm in Mooney N57039 if anyone is there and wants to stop by.

Back