Camping out at Petit Jean Park in Morrilton, AR this weekend. Anyone care to join?

mitchellfstafford

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mitchell
I'm flying down to Petit Jean State Park (MPJ) in Morrilton, AR this Sunday 10/18/09 and staying til Tuesday 10/20/09 night. I've got a 4 man tent, plenty of supplies and some choice bottles of red if anyone would like to join.

Re: Camping out at Petit Jean Park in Morrilton, AR this weekend. Anyone care to joi

I'm flying down to Petit Jean State Park (MPJ) in Morrilton, AR this Sunday 10/18/09 and staying til Tuesday 10/20/09 night. I've got a 4 man tent, plenty of supplies and some choice bottles of red if anyone would like to join.
Hey Mitchell, welcome to PoA. :) Are you flying down from Kansas City? What kind of airplane will you be in?

I think that Chris and Rachael flew down there and camped a few years ago. One of these days I need to check it out. The trees should be starting to turn about now. :)

A few of us are flying to Gaston's the next weekend. Have you flown in there before?

Re: Camping out at Petit Jean Park in Morrilton, AR this weekend. Anyone care to joi

I'd consider, but it's too cold for Diana to show her toes.

I think that Chris and Rachael flew down there and camped a few years ago. One of these days I need to check it out. The trees should be starting to turn about now. :)

Wow, Diana. That's one heckuva memory! :)

Petit Jean was my and Rachel's first 'flying vacation' together. It's a really neat place with some gorgeous scenery on the hiking trails in the park. There is a really nice campground complete with his and hers separate indoor bathhouse right next to (<100' probably) the runway. The only downside to flying there is that the airport is on the opposite side of the lake from the State Park itself, so you have to call ahead and get a park ranger to come pick you up and shuttle you to the other side of the lake for hiking, restaurant, etc.

Have fun and take pics of the waterfall!

:D Now, if I could just remember where I put stuff, I'd be happy. :D

I was going to try to find that thread here about your trip down there where you ended up with the Cessna group....was it Cessna 170's or something?

:D Now, if I could just remember where I put stuff, I'd be happy. :D

I was going to try to find that thread here about your trip down there where you ended up with the Cessna group....was it Cessna 170's or something?

Yep. The 170's club was having a shin-dig down there the same weekend we were there. GREAT group of folks. I think it has become an annual event for them since then.

Thank you. I am flying down from Kansas City in a 172, as long as the weather looks good enough to make the trip down and back. I'm hoping the trees will hold off for another couple of days.

Gaston's the weekend after huh? I've read a lot about it but have not been down there yet.

You know, if I weren't in San Francisco this week, I might consider heading down there with Leslie! Hope you have a great time!

Re: Camping out at Petit Jean Park in Morrilton, AR

Petit Jean was my and Rachel's first 'flying vacation' together. It's a really neat place with some gorgeous scenery on the hiking trails in the park. There is a really nice campground complete with his and hers separate indoor bathhouse right next to (<100' probably) the runway. The only downside to flying there is that the airport is on the opposite side of the lake from the State Park itself, so you have to call ahead and get a park ranger to come pick you up and shuttle you to the other side of the lake for hiking, restaurant, etc.
I found the threads...maybe something in those threads might be useful to Mitchell:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7119

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7406

Chris, did you have photos of Petit Jean in that last thread? I recall that old photos were deleted to make more space here on the forum, and wonder if those were deleted, too?

Thank you. I am flying down from Kansas City in a 172, as long as the weather looks good enough to make the trip down and back. I'm hoping the trees will hold off for another couple of days.
I think you will be going down at a great time...trees should be nearing peak down there.

Choice bottles of red sounds good, by the way. :D

If you pass by KLLU on your way down to Petit Jean, or on the way back up, give me a holler and I'll run to town and buy you a cup of coffee. :)

Gaston's the weekend after huh? I've read a lot about it but have not been down there yet.

Below is one of many threads here about Gaston's. This one is about Gaston's in October. I started it last year and updated it for my trip down there this year. You might have to wade through a lot of singing and miscellaneous visiting. :D You will also recognize several of the regulars from the purple board, too. Wabower is Wabbado over on the purple board...still don't know where Wabbado came from. :D

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23782

There is a whole section about an annual Gaston's fly-in here, as well.

You know, if I weren't in San Francisco this week, I might consider heading down there with Leslie! Hope you have a great time!
What the heck are you doing way out there???? I hope you're having fun, whatever you're doing. :yes:

Re: Camping out at Petit Jean Park in Morrilton, AR

I found the threads...maybe something in those threads might be useful to Mitchell:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7119

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7406

Chris, did you have photos of Petit Jean in that last thread? I recall that old photos were deleted to make more space here on the forum, and wonder if those were deleted, too?

I don't think it had pics in it originally, but here are a few I found:

Attachments

• MPJ Lookout1.JPG
    MPJ Lookout1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 18
  • MPJ Lookout Sunset.jpg
    MPJ Lookout Sunset.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 14
  • MPJ Sunset.jpg
    MPJ Sunset.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 13
  • MPJ Aerial1.jpg
    MPJ Aerial1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 16
  • MPJ Group1.jpg
    MPJ Group1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 15

You're down in old Lamar huh? I remember stopping through Lamar when I was a kid when my grandparents would take my sister and I down to Arkansas. We always had to stop and have breakfast at the Blue Top.

Thanks for all the info guys. Those two threads were great, as well as the pictures. Can't wait to get down there. I think that 170 group is going to be down there this weekend. The lady I talked to said large group that comes down a lot will be there this weekend. I'll probably miss them since I won't be down til Sunday afternoon.

You're down in old Lamar huh? I remember stopping through Lamar when I was a kid when my grandparents would take my sister and I down to Arkansas. We always had to stop and have breakfast at the Blue Top.
Yep, that was where I was going to take you if you wanted to stop for coffee. :D They had a big fire at the Blue Top a year or so ago, and remodeled and opened it up again. It's interesting how many people remember the Blue Top as a landmark when traveling past this part of the country.

We're actually five miles south, a mile off 71 & 126. 08MO otherwise known as Twin Oaks. :)

Last edited:

Welcome Mitchell, I am located at Stockton, MO which should be right along your route, stop by if you get a chance.

Yep, that was where I was going to take you if you wanted to stop for coffee. :D They had a big fire at the Blue Top a year or so ago, and remodeled and opened it up again. It's interesting how many people remember the Blue Top as a landmark when traveling past this part of the country.

We're actually five miles south, a mile off 71 & 126. 08MO otherwise known as Twin Oaks. :)

You've got a pretty sweet setup on your farm there. Looks like a gorgeous field. Just watched a couple of your videos of yours.

You've got a pretty sweet setup on your farm there. Looks like a gorgeous field. Just watched a couple of your videos of yours.
:) It's fun here, and it's a lot of work too. As long as Tom can keep me and the machines outside working, things go smoothly. :D But, there is usually at least one mowing machine broken somehow. Sometimes he needs another man here to help him with stuff...like the mower attachment on the John Deere that we usually mow the runway with...it's broken again and he needs another guy to hold something.

Anyway, the videos were fun to make. Tom is my camera man and he takes the video inside the airplane, too. I kinda make him sick. :redface: Poor Tom. :D

Sometimes he needs another man here to help him with stuff...like the mower attachment on the John Deere that we usually mow the runway with...it's broken again and he needs another guy to hold something.

You know I am only a 15-20 minute flight away and you have my phone number. Call whenever Tom needs an extra hand and I'll be there.

:) It's fun here, and it's a lot of work too. As long as Tom can keep me and the machines outside working, things go smoothly. :D But, there is usually at least one mowing machine broken somehow. Sometimes he needs another man here to help him with stuff...like the mower attachment on the John Deere that we usually mow the runway with...it's broken again and he needs another guy to hold something.

Anyway, the videos were fun to make. Tom is my camera man and he takes the video inside the airplane, too. I kinda make him sick. :redface: Poor Tom. :D

Hey, I know what that's like. My family used to have a grass strip up at Lake Lotawana just outside of Lee's Summit. 3300 ft of mowing pleasure. Since I was the youngest in the family I had the pleasure of mowing it very often.

You know I am only a 15-20 minute flight away and you have my phone number. Call whenever Tom needs an extra hand and I'll be there.
That's really sweet of you to offer to help, Dean. :) I'll pass that along to Tom. He just won't ask for help. Why is it so hard for men to ask for help? That was a rhetorical question, btw. :D

Hey, I know what that's like. My family used to have a grass strip up at Lake Lotawana just outside of Lee's Summit. 3300 ft of mowing pleasure. Since I was the youngest in the family I had the pleasure of mowing it very often.
Really? Where was it? Was it on the sectional? Is it still usable? What did you use to mow it with?

You will only be about 10 miles from the Arkansas Airport of the Year, KRUE at Russellville.

MPJ was putting in self service fuel. I don't know if they have it operating yet or not. Our 100LL is 3.98/gallon.

The state aeronautics department paid the CAP to take pictures of all the Arkansas airports so they have 4 of each field, 1 from each direction. That is where the pics on AirNav came from. Richard Mills at the aeronautics department would probably send you the other 3 of MPJ if you emailed him.

Richard.Mills@arkansas.gov

I took pics and sent them to Chris before he came down but the state's pics are better and I probably couldn't find the ones I took anyway.

What the heck are you doing way out there???? I hope you're having fun, whatever you're doing. :yes:
It's a software development conference (Oracle OpenWorld). I had hoped to see the Blue Angels here last weekend, but that didn't work out.:( I did get my picture taken with Sean D. Tucker this morning, and got an autographed cap.:D

I'm flying down to Petit Jean State Park (MPJ) in Morrilton, AR this Sunday 10/18/09
Have a great flight down there today, Mitchell. Looks like it will warm up for a few days. I hope you have a good time camping down there. We're looking forward to photos and a report on your trip. :)

You will only be about 10 miles from the Arkansas Airport of the Year, KRUE at Russellville.

MPJ was putting in self service fuel. I don't know if they have it operating yet or not. Our 100LL is 3.98/gallon.

The state aeronautics department paid the CAP to take pictures of all the Arkansas airports so they have 4 of each field, 1 from each direction. That is where the pics on AirNav came from. Richard Mills at the aeronautics department would probably send you the other 3 of MPJ if you emailed him.

Richard.Mills@arkansas.gov

I took pics and sent them to Chris before he came down but the state's pics are better and I probably couldn't find the ones I took anyway.

It was nice to meet you yesterday on my way back north. You have a very nice airport there in Russelville. The new building is fantastic. Got off the ground about 945 heading back up to KC. There was only a stretch of about 15 miles that was still fogged over.

It was nice to meet you yesterday on my way back north. You have a very nice airport there in Russelville. The new building is fantastic. Got off the ground about 945 heading back up to KC. There was only a stretch of about 15 miles that was still fogged over.

Glad to have met you too. Sorry I had to run off before you left.

We don't see many square tail 172s but had a second one come through later in the day.

Back