Camping on the way to KOSH

Phillip

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Phillip
If you had to camp overnight somewhere between Texas and KOSH, what would your preference be?

I'm VFR and this is my first adventure of this distance and duration. Being looking at the weather patterns last few weeks and came to realization that it just may happen that I won't make it in a day and end up camping someplace in between. So, my question to experienced XC pilots is, what is typical plan of action in that case? Is pitching a tent on the grass next to public airstrip considered an acceptable behavior? Are there aviation camping friendly places midway between central texas and kosh?

Just plan on going and figure it out as you go. Most of the time you can find a place to pitch the tent or just crash inside the FBO for a night. Pick one with a crew car and you'll have a way to get dinner.

Depending on what you are flying that is not a long trip really.

Just plan on going and figure it out as you go. Most of the time you can find a place to pitch the tent or just crash inside the FBO for a night. Pick one with a crew car and you'll have a way to get dinner.

Thanks, Geico. The aircraft is PA28-181. I figure about 8 hours in the air plus two fuel stops, which makes 9 best case. But with central texas frequently exibiting low IFR in the morning, pushing departure to 10-11 AM, makes it too close for 8pm kosh curfew. Hence the question...

I'm considering now to cover part of the distance the night before (Saturday 18th), via night VFR.

Last edited:
I'm considering now to cover part of the distance the night before (Saturday 18th), via night VFR.

Bleech, I'd worry about a VFR pilot over relatively unpopulated terrain at night. You can encounter black hole syndrome, black above and black below. Legal VFR but IFR just the same.

Take two days, what's the big deal? Four hours is already a lot of stick time for one day.

Following the roads should help with black holes, and maintain awareness of airports. A little zigging and zagging shouldn't be too bad, though each person's comfort level will vary. Midwest is chock full of airports. Night flying beneath the stars sounds pretty good to me.

Wouldn't go night VFR with overcast, but on clear nights, why not, very peaceful and meditative (for me at least). There is autopilot there as well, to cut down some on the fatigue.

Where from? I'm flying out of Houston and just considering several contingency stops with hotels or fbos with quiet rooms in case weather blocks us.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

:yes:

That.

Wouldn't go night VFR with overcast,

That's what I was thinking about, night overcast on top of sparsely populated terrain. Robs you of visual cues. Where I live is heavily populated, there are lights on the ground everywhere. But I am given to understand that this is not the case everywhere.

Where from? I'm flying out of Houston and just considering several contingency stops with hotels or fbos with quiet rooms in case weather blocks us.
KAUS. The hill country has some distinct weather patterns, so early departure is not assured.

KAUS. The hill country has some distinct weather patterns, so early departure is not assured.
I've only been in and out of AUS once, but it was pleasant scenery! Fortunately you're on this side of the hills. Where are you looking to stop along the way?

I've only been in and out of AUS once, but it was pleasant scenery! Fortunately you're on this side of the hills. Where are you looking to stop along the way?

That would be determined by the weather, gas price and suggessions from this thread. Two stops, I am thinking. Today, I would have gone via KEOS, KPVB, Ripon, Fisk.

Last edited:
That would be determined by the weather, gas price and suggessions from this thread. Two stops, I am thinking. Today, I would have gone via KEOS, KPVB, Ripon, Fisk.
We usually stop somewhere around Mena or Ft. Smith, Arkansas for gas/fud. It's a pretty area.

For overnight, aim for Maquoketa, IA. No one will mind you pitching a tent there.

'Make hay while the Sun is shining', so to speak. It's good to have ideas, but you have to adjust for the actual conditions on the day(s) in question. Of course it's early for any accurate weather forecast.

It's daylight fairly long into the evening. If the weather allows, keep those Pistons humming.

I make a few plans here and there with longer trips, but usually adjust along the way. Always put safety on the top of the list.

Following the roads should help with black holes, and maintain awareness of airports. A little zigging and zagging shouldn't be too bad, though each person's comfort level will vary. Midwest is chock full of airports. Night flying beneath the stars sounds pretty good to me.
The midwest is full of towers, too. Windmills have red lights on top but stay at least 2000 agl, just in case. Tower guy lines do not have any lights or indicators.

We usually stop somewhere around Mena or Ft. Smith, Arkansas for gas/fud. It's a pretty area.

For overnight, aim for Maquoketa, IA. No one will mind you pitching a tent there.

I'm planning a stop in Hot Springs because the gas is cheaper!

Don't overplan to the point that you don't enjoy the trip. Lots of quiet little airports sprinkled thorough Missouri where I assume a lot of your trip will take place.

Sullivan, MO (KUUV) has become a regular fuel stop for me going through that area.

Kennett, MO (KTKX) is another good SE Missouri stop.

Just discovered the little gem of Carroll County, TN (KHZD) that is a good stop if weather pushes you that far east.

Washington, IA (KAWG) usually has some of the cheapest fuel in that area.

Have fun and don't forget to enjoy the experience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm marking all of these down. Jay and CJones, thanks!

Had a nice stop in Pochahontas, IA (KPOH). I can't imagine anybody would care or even know if you pitched a tent there. It seems very rarely attended. But they've got 24 hour fuel, the FBO is unlocked so you can get to the bathroom, and the crew car key is in one of the drawers in the FBO. We actually took the car and stayed in the hotel in town and found out it was a local holiday ("Heritage Day") and enjoyed the fireworks after dinner.

The mention of Pochahontas reminded me...

As you're travelling through Missouri/Iowa/Wisconsin areas around the time of Oshkosh, keep an eye out for crop dusters going to/from these small outlying airports. A lot of those guys don't have radios and sometimes don't follow 'standard' traffic patterns. Just a heads-up for out of towners that are not used to flying during bug season. ;)

The mention of Pochahontas reminded me...

As you're travelling through Missouri/Iowa/Wisconsin areas around the time of Oshkosh, keep an eye out for crop dusters going to/from these small outlying airports. A lot of those guys don't have radios and sometimes don't follow 'standard' traffic patterns. Just a heads-up for out of towners that are not used to flying during bug season. ;)

Do they really fly that low to get me in the Subaru?

:goofy:

JIm

Back