Camping Logistics

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
This'll be my first time at OshKosh and I'm trying to figure out what we'll need for the week. Specifically, what's the food situation like? Are the grocery stores a reasonable option (price-, distance- and crowd-wise) or should I really bring everything I'll need to eat for the week?

-Jim

This'll be my first time at OshKosh and I'm trying to figure out what we'll need for the week. Specifically, what's the food situation like? Are the grocery stores a reasonable option (price-, distance- and crowd-wise) or should I really bring everything I'll need to eat for the week?

-Jim

The Red Barn is the EAA's camp store. It has the necessities - food, toiletries, beer, a few camp supplies. Beyond that, there are multiple eateries on the grounds and a few within reasonable walking distance of the grounds. There is a Target department store a mile or so from the "North 40". One of the busses which leaves from the transportation hub at Osh goes right to the Target (and other stores), so that is an option, but if you're in the North 40, the walk straight to Target probably isn't much farther than the walk to the transportation hub on the grounds.

Bottom line, I've flown in and camped a dozen or so times and have never found food availability to be a problem. IMO, the best food and the best pricing on hot food is at the SOS Brother's tent right outside the grounds near the EAA museum/Pioneer Airport. Everything there is good, from the brats to the whitefish and/or deep fried cheese curds...

The biggest problem I have with Osh food is finding a quick breakfast. Only a few of the on-field eateries are typically open for breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Driving or flying? The red barn is good if you forgot anything or want some ice cream.

There is a wal mart a few miles away also where I usually load up on supplies.

There is a piggly wiggly I always stop out in town probably 40-50 miles to the southwest. Avoids the crowds and little more reasonable cost wise!

Prepare for damn good time!

Pick up a styrofoam cooler for $4 and a case of h2o, you can also buy ice.
Over in HBC they have a coffee, corn on the cob and ice hut (yep!) where you also can leave your pad or phone for a charge.
DON'T forget the shower shoes! Groady is a good word for the showers, I had to shower in my street shoes and try to dry them each night since I didn't bring my flippers.
Be prepared for wet. A tent with rain fly would be a good idea, tie it down good also.
The vendor breakfasts arnt too bad, around $8 maybe. I skip lunch.
There is usually some sort of dinner going on depending on any groups you may be associated with. Canardians have a speggetti feed Tuesday, a banquet on Fri for example. The RV guys have some events of their own, Bonazas etc etc.
Getting into town for a resturaunt is no big deal, takes maybe 1/2 hour each way.
There is free wireless there but I could seldom get it to work from my camp site, enough to get mail, little else.
Have fun, see you there!
Tim

Great info. Thank you. We are travelling from PA by ground with our popup camper so I'll have some room for dry goods. I think I will plan on picking up the perishables once I get there so I don't have to worry about keeping them cool while we are on the road.

See you in a week!

Jim

If anyone is driving up from the south on 41/45, Don't forget a stop at Cabela's in Richfield. Just past Milwaukee.

Back