Camping/Hiking/Flying near Columbia, SC

elmetal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
elmetal
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new here but here I go:

This winter I am trying to organize a little hiking/camping trip fly-in for a few of my friends.

I am the only pilot between us all but here's the plan:

I am going to be coming out of KGNV towards SC with maybe 2 more in the 172 with me with our camping gear.

The plan from there is to land and camp somewhere closeby Columbia, SC.

The reason I wanna be close to there is because I'll already have 2-3 people in the 172 and I wanna land at this remote airstrip and go on to the Columbia area to pick up 2 more people and their stuff.

Now: my question to y'all is: I am looking for some sort of strip (at least 1500 feet pleaaaase) West, SW or South of Columbia (can be really 100 NM no big deal) that is in an area where we could just park the plane for the weekend and go camping for a few days then come back and fly home.

Does anybody have experience in the area that has any sort of pointers and tips for me?

I am planning on doing this in November/December (or maybe MLK weekend) so I have plenty of time to plan. I will probably be taking a 172S with 56 gallon tanks so I'm not worried about range at all I'm more worried about Hobbs since it's 112 an hour and my buddies aren't planning on spending too much.

So, who has a great strip that is perfect for this trip? Also who has experience parking in the middle of nowhere? (AKA, How the heck do I tie the plane down???)

Thanks everyone, this is gonna be a fantastic trip and I'm thinking with a 172 I can do this in under 7 hobbs hours which means I can make it pretty cheaply for all

woooooooooo!

I don't know of any areas up there yet - just moved to ATL about 6 mos ago - but will be interested to hear what you come up with for a trip.

I am going to be coming out of KGNV towards SC with maybe 2 more in the 172 with me with our camping gear.

The plan from there is to land and camp somewhere closeby Columbia, SC.

Now: my question to y'all is: I am looking for some sort of strip (at least 1500 feet pleaaaase) West, SW or South of Columbia (can be really 100 NM no big deal) that is in an area where we could just park the plane for the weekend and go camping for a few days then come back and fly home.

I'm don't think that a newer 172 has enough useful load for 3 adults and camping gear, nevermind the short field and possible obstructions...

Unless you and your camping partners each weight 100 lbs or less and you are only going to eat peanuts, you better up it to a C-182.

I can't think of any place that fits your exact description in the Columbia area. But, if the two folks who are already in Columbia have ground transportation, you might consider haveing them drive your whole crew to Congaree National Park just east of Columbia.

http://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm

Your time frame would provide mosquito free camping and it is a very interesting place to visit and hike.

Or you could fly to KLKR and camp in the woods and check out the beaver ponds.

:D

I can't think of any place that fits your exact description in the Columbia area. But, if the two folks who are already in Columbia have ground transportation, you might consider haveing them drive your whole crew to Congaree National Park just east of Columbia.

http://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm

Your time frame would provide mosquito free camping and it is a very interesting place to visit and hike.

Or you could fly to KLKR and camp in the woods and check out the beaver ponds.

:D

never been over there. what exactly is there?

I think what we're gonna do is 2 trips:

first I will take 2 people with me (below maximum gross weight even with full fuel)

then I will go back and pickup the gear and the last person

I think this will not only work out, but give the first couple some alone time and then also me and the other girl some alone time as well.

also completely unrelated question, how come my avatar doesn't show up

.... then also me and the other girl some alone time as well.

Ah .... you're bringing your own beavers then (I know I will get flamed for that one ... oh well).

I was kind of joking about KLKR, but the CAP Cadets do camp there. It is 400 acres and away from town with 6000 feet of beautiful new concrete runway. My girlfriend and I have spent many happy hours hiking around the airport land ... there is a clearing in a low spot on the south side of the runway where you might camp that is out of sight of everthing. And there are beavers there building dams and making ponds. Plus lots of wild turkey and deer. If you call and talk to Sandy she might let you use the airport van to run into town for dinner, or maybe take a side trip the the Lansford Canel to hike. Very cool ancient ruins there ... lots of history.

You could put everyone in the plane (minus the camping gear) and make a short trip to Ashboro and visit the aviation museum there.

As I said, I know of no "out in the boon docks" airstrips in the area where you can camp by the plane.

Check out the photo of the airport here: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLKR

9VG for soup on Sunday! Camping on field, great hospitality. you'll love it!

Looks like one of the girls is out of the trip so we will be able to make it with all 3 people and equipment afterall!

This whole plan really makes me want to get a complex/HP endorsement so I could rent bigger aircraft for cool adventures like this!

What does a turbo lance or 182 need to land/takeoff at full gross + 40 centigrade and 3000 pressure alt?

Back