Campground by KEKN Elkins, WV

A friend and I flew his arrow to EKN this past summer on a spur of the moment decision. He farted around BSing in the FBO so we got a late start. We arrived right at the end of dusk. The pilot controlled lighting would not work. I wanted to land on 5 cause we could see it but my buddy went around to 32. Once we got on the ground we looked up the airport and the lighting was on a different frequency.
But the lights for 32 -14 would not come on. Found out later from the airport directory that that runway is closed after dark because of obstructions. It was hairy flying out of there and his panel lighting was too bright at that moment.
And the FBO was locked up after hours, no restrooms to use after hours. Looked like a nice FBO?
We lived through it and learned more investigation is best especially mountain airports after dark.

Last edited:
There was nothing wrong with the lights, it was the pilots who had the problem. Have never seen lighting that was not the Unicom frequency.
The runway that didn’t light up is closed at night. 32-14.

I guess if you do a preflight on the landing airport,you would see the lights frequency ,not always on the unicom .

I guess if you do a preflight on the landing airport,you would see the lights frequency ,not always on the unicom .
Guilty as charged.
Did not see it on FF, only after the fact did we find it in airport directory.

Last edited:
I have about a dozen landings at Elkins. In the past, an excellent refuel stop westbound.

That was my 2 green lights landing in an Arrow, they found an Arrow owner, and a mechanic, to check on a low fly by, and all three gear were down, smooth landing. Bad micro switch.

I do not think there was a camp ground when I stopped then, but the restaurant had a mini bowling alley.

Back