Camp Scholler 2015 Questions

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
OK, I can't hold back my excitement about AirVenture 2015. As some of you know, I work
Flightline ops every day, but I've always driven back and forth, which is about a 90 minute drive.

I know I've been missing much of the party over the years, so this year I'm going to camp at Camp Scholler.

Not having camped in over 30 years ("over my dead body" according to my lovely bride), I've got a little re-learning curve, as well as a need to understand Camp Scholler protocol. So I have a few questions for you experienced folks:

1. I was initially thinking of renting a camper, but I'm rethinking that hassle, and considering just getting a tent and a good cot. Pros/cons?

2. I would start flightline work on the Saturday before the show opens. Is that too late to get a decent camp site to the eastern part of Scholler? If so, how soon should I set up my tent to get a decent spot? (And can I do that - pay for an additional week and set up a tent a week early and leave it there unmolested until I show up to camp?). I don't have a bike and don't want to hike a mile just to get into the gate.

3. I'm hoping to camp next to someone I know. But connecting and timing our arrival to get close sites seems like a crap shoot. Is it? Are the good sites to the east taken up by long-timers, or are they truly available to early arrivals?

4. Food - do most people cook on some sort of propane camp or tailgating stove, or do people use charcoal, etc.? Are wood fires allowed?

5. Any other helpful hints, suggestions, and strategies?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

In the past there has been a small POA compound hosted by the Prellwitzes (who have in the past arrived first and rented said campsite). That said, I certainly don't want to speak for them, and am a bit up in the air about my plans myself.

They were with us at Camp Bacon last year. Which continues to grow and be more fun every year. We will be there again this year.

Nothing like people walking by doing a double take on Martt's full sized oven converted to propane sitting in the grass under an awning. Haha.

I'd fly out, but really for me I've learned that seeing folks and hanging out with some of the best people I know at night in Scholler trumps being in the North 40. Most years.

If I do North 40 again it'll be with Cessnas 2 Oshkosh. Another great group.

I've camped at Oshkosh for 20+ years. Though I've only camped in Scholler once, twice in the North 40, and the erst in Vintage.
1. I was initially thinking of renting a camper, but I'm rethinking that hassle, and considering just getting a tent and a good cot. Pros/cons?
A camper would be a luxury. I camped with the same tent I camp with when I flew in set up behind my Suburban.
2. I would start flightline work on the Saturday before the show opens. Is that too late to get a decent camp site to the eastern part of Scholler? If so, how soon should I set up my tent to get a decent spot? (And can I do that - pay for an additional week and set up a tent a week early and leave it there unmolested until I show up to camp?). I don't have a bike and don't want to hike a mile just to get into the gate.
Yes, you can pay for and stake out a site early. I've never heard of anybody "molesting" a site as long as it was physically secure (i.e., the tent's not blowing away). Of course, even at Oshkosh I'd not leave valuables there.
3. I'm hoping to camp next to someone I know. But connecting and timing our arrival to get close sites seems like a crap shoot. Is it? Are the good sites to the east taken up by long-timers, or are they truly available to early arrivals?
It's all first come, first serve. What you can do is have the first to arrive pay for and stake out additional sites for the later arrivals.
4. Food - do most people cook on some sort of propane camp or tailgating stove, or do people use charcoal, etc.? Are wood fires allowed?
You can cook with whatever fuel you like (I strongly recommend against 100LL).
It needs to be contained in a grill or stove. We used a small propane two burner stove for a long time. Later we really gave up cooking dinner as working Vintage Flight Line we usually ended up eating mystery meat for lunch and dinner was either a special event or we went out. I keep a Jet Boil (small propane water boiler) to make coffee with.

As I said, I only camped in Scholler once, but a few times I've not flown in but I just camp with other volunteers in Vintage. You might ask your Fl. Ops buddies if anybody has any camping enclaves (in Scholler or elsewhere) that you can tack on to.

I've camped at Oshkosh for 20+ years. Though I've only camped in Scholler once, twice in the North 40, and the erst in Vintage.

A camper would be a luxury. I camped with the same tent I camp with when I flew in set up behind my Suburban.

Yes, you can pay for and stake out a site early. I've never heard of anybody "molesting" a site as long as it was physically secure (i.e., the tent's not blowing away). Of course, even at Oshkosh I'd not leave valuables there.

It's all first come, first serve. What you can do is have the first to arrive pay for and stake out additional sites for the later arrivals.

You can cook with whatever fuel you like (I strongly recommend against 100LL).

It needs to be contained in a grill or stove. We used a small propane two burner stove for a long time. Later we really gave up cooking dinner as working Vintage Flight Line we usually ended up eating mystery meat for lunch and dinner was either a special event or we went out. I keep a Jet Boil (small propane water boiler) to make coffee with.

As I said, I only camped in Scholler once, but a few times I've not flown in but I just camp with other volunteers in Vintage. You might ask your Fl. Ops buddies if anybody has any camping enclaves (in Scholler or elsewhere) that you can tack on to.

Thanks, Ron. Good feedback.

I know I've been missing much of the party over the years, so this year I'm going to camp at Camp Scholler.

You're in for an entirely new Oshkosh experience! :thumbsup:

Good luck finding a camper for rent anywhere nearby that week - And you're looking at $700+, bare minimum. If that's OK, then go for it - Every year, I kinda wish I had one more!

As it is, I'm pretty well equipped for a tenter. Life's not so bad on an air mattress. It's pretty cool at OSH during the night but as soon as the sun comes up things inside a tent heat up to unbearable in a hurry, so I have a small fan that I plug into a solar panel facing east. As soon as the sun rises, the fan kicks on.

I've picked up a fair amount of other random things over the years, mostly related to staying comfortable and charging all my gadgets. As long as you don't mind visiting the local big-box store a time or two during the show, you'll be fine. And it is a luxury living relatively close by - If it's going to be pouring rain (or if it has and you have a catastrophic tent failure), a warm dry bed is a reasonable drive away!

You'll probably want to get in a week or more early. I'm not sure where things are on Saturday, but on Sunday when I usually show up, I've been way out in the boonies when I camp on my own. More recently, I've been trying to get together with like-minded friends and stake out a spot early, and I've had great luck with that. Scholler opens a good 30 days before the show does, and the best spots are snapped up quickly.

Paul's Woods is about impossible to get into, but IMO there are better spots anyway. You will want to get in early and stake out your spots. Being as close as you are, if you get a group together for camping, you're likely to be "volunteered" to pick the site, buy the passes, etc. ;)

I usually buy breakfast at the camp store, eat lunch on the grounds, and get together with friends for dinner, either off-site at a restaurant or around a grill.

As far as what's allowed in terms of fires, the rules are available at airventure.org.

5. Any other helpful hints, suggestions, and strategies?

Google "Camp Scholler first timer" and I bet you'll get a TON of them. There's no wrong way to do Oshkosh, but many have sure found some very right ways! Personally, I recommend a gasoline-powered wheeled recliner. ;)

After a six year hiatus, I am planning to return to OSH this year. No rented housing anymore though. I'll come up in my dinky Winnebago with my youngest son, who will be 17. We're thinking of dragging the motorcycle up with us and finding a campground outside of the EAA domain.

I wonder where my old electronic key fob is for the back door to the museum...

My favorite spot is the Rellendadts (not sure of the spelling) located just where the diagonal (Waupan) road hits Knapp Street. I have friends who camp there and it's where I tell friends who drive up to obtain parking. Most of the other real nice, close in, non-EAA grounds are pretty much booked in advance.

This will be my 38th year at The Show but my first year auto camping. Camped under the wing in Classic and North 40 and several years at the UW-Nothing dorms. Somewhere there ought to be a FAQ on the realities of carcamping versus the Party Line at airventure.org; is there such a thing?

If not, can anybody give me the facts of life other than what I've read below? We are bringing the Subaru, which has enough room to sleep in the back if it really gets to be a howler of a storm, but the options are to bring the tent that survived the 2012 storm OR tow the little popout tent trailer (see attached).

Theory says departing Grass Valley CA early Thursday morning, RON somewhere between Salt Lake and Rock Springs, Friday into Kansas City, and Saturday into Oshkosh. That may be optimistic, but it is a best guess.

I'll give my usual BS forum sometime early in the week, and then depart the day after the HOPS party (Wednesday as usual???).

Comments appreciated ...

Jim

Attachments

• Tentrailer-s.jpg
    Tentrailer-s.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Jim,

Big grass field. Full of people.

Sometimes weather is bad. Sometimes great.

Shower houses are generally clean and useable.

Portapotties are everywhere.

Stop by and we'll hand you a beer or a margarita or whatever you like.

Did you need any other details? ;)

Jim,

Big grass field. Full of people.

Yes, I've walked through it dozens if not hundreds of times on my way to or from some other place but never to RON.

Sometimes weather is bad. Sometimes great.

I've been there for both. One year I gave my forum on top of one of the old canvas forum tents that had been blown down the night before.

Shower houses are generally clean and useable.

Just like the rest of the camping areas.

Portapotties are everywhere.

Just like the rest of the camping areas.

Stop by and we'll hand you a beer or a margarita or whatever you like.

Now we are getting somewhere :yes:

Did you need any other details?

Well, one of the biggies, since I have a ton of crap to tow back and forth between the campsite and the forums plaza is whether or not anybody is going in early, and if I mail them a check in advance if they can reserve me a spot close to the gate(s)?

Another of the biggies is whether or not the little camp trailer is a good idea, considering that it doesn't like to go much over 60 mph and I'm coming damn near 2000 miles to get to The Show. That is a long, slow drive.

I'll think of a few more as time goes by. Thanks for the help.

Jim,

Why don't you pick a location 300 miles before you get to Osh and see if someone there has a trailer you can rent for a week or so? Or buy one from a dealer with the agreement that they will buy it back at a discount when you pass back through?

Or, will you have it stuffed to the gills all the way from the West coast?

Jim,

Why don't you pick a location 300 miles before you get to Osh and see if someone there has a trailer you can rent for a week or so? Or buy one from a dealer with the agreement that they will buy it back at a discount when you pass back through?

Or, will you have it stuffed to the gills all the way from the West coast?

Upon serious reflection, driving a little under 5000 miles to and from, with a stop in Kansas City, hauling a trailer that is seriously limited to 60 mph (I tried 70 in Canada and a wheel fell off after a hundred miles) is going to (a) burn more fuel and (b) take another day on the road at least. If the OSH weather gets horrible we can stretch out in the back of the Subaru wagon and we can sure haul a ton of stuff in the Subie. Looks like little trailer gets to stay home this trip.

But the fundamendal question remains ... is there anybody who is going to get there early that I can send money to so that we at least get a reasonable place to camp when we get there Sunday PM.

Thanks,

Jim (& Cyndi)

Just want to make sure you're aware that you need to pay for the spot starting on the day it's staked out. We have a friend who does that, heading up about a week early to stake out a spot a block south of the Big Red Barn Store.

Just want to make sure you're aware that you need to pay for the spot starting on the day it's staked out. We have a friend who does that, heading up about a week early to stake out a spot a block south of the Big Red Barn Store.

I was NOT aware of that. Drat. Do the buses run around Scholler??

Jim

I was NOT aware of that. Drat. Do the buses run around Scholler??

Yes, there are buses that run around in Scholler. I've not found them to be particularly convenient, though. Better is to bring a bike, motorized La-Z-Boy, electric wheeled cooler, or other small wheeled runabout to run from the campsite to the south gate. :)

Re: Camp Scholler 2015 Questions-camping rental

Grant Prellwitz
I am planning on a Sunday arrival and staying three days. I. e. thru Wednesday night wih an early departure Thurs. AM. Does this mean I'll end up with a 4 day camping fee ?

Dale

Re: Camp Scholler 2015 Questions-camping rental

Grant Prellwitz
I am planning on a Sunday arrival and staying three days. I. e. thru Wednesday night wih an early departure Thurs. AM. Does this mean I'll end up with a 4 day camping fee ?

Dale
You pay for a period starting when you arrive (stake a claim) through the end of the show. You will then get a refund for any unused nights (noon checkout) with a 3-night minimum. At least that's my recollection! It's pretty clear on the site, IIRC.

OK, using the following parameters:

• Arrival roughly 3 pm Sunday afternoon (19 Jul)
  • Prepaid camping fee
  • Towing very small popout trailer
  • Coming in from the south on Hwy 41

Questions:

1. How long of a wait time in traffic should I anticipate?
  2. Given that most of the "choice" spots will be taken, what is the best location to head for?
  3. Is there any advantage to coming in any other way than the offramp onto Poberezny from the south?
  4. Any other information that you might think pertinent?

Thanks,

Jim

OK, using the following parameters:
  • Arrival roughly 3 pm Sunday afternoon (19 Jul)
  • Prepaid camping fee
  • Towing very small popout trailer
  • Coming in from the south on Hwy 41
Questions:
  1. How long of a wait time in traffic should I anticipate?

1. Not sure, but that's about the same time as a LOT of other people will be getting there, so it may be a while. I think they're pretty efficient, though, so even with a long line I doubt it'd be more than an hour.

[*]Given that most of the "choice" spots will be taken, what is the best location to head for?

If you want to minimize your walk to the gate, there's two things you can try. Go straight in, take the first left (Stits) after you get through registration, go all the way to the end and look in "101 woods". Then you can walk up Waukau and go in through the main gate.

The other option - Probably the one I'd choose - Would be to go "straight" on the dog-leg, east on Schaick (the main drag) and take a right at 55th. Go past Lindbergh and down to Elm, then head West and zig-zag up and down between Elm and Lindbergh. Many people camp right off of Schaick without looking past Lindbergh so you may luck out and find a spot there.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/maps/camp-scholler-map

[*]Is there any advantage to coming in any other way than the offramp onto Poberezny from the south?

No. And the exit you want is Exit 113, Wisconsin highway 26. Take a right off the ramp, then the first left. There will be signs. ;) You'll need to go in the main gate to start, but once you have credentials on your vehicle you can get in the West or South gates more quickly if you leave and come back.

Hope this helps, and I hope to meet you at the Prellwitz Gourmet Camp Restaurant/PoA gathering! :)

Not sure, but that's about the same time as a LOT of other people will be getting there, so it may be a while. I think they're pretty efficient, though, so even with a long line I doubt it'd be more than an hour.

If you want to minimize your walk to the gate, there's two things you can try. Go straight in, take the first left (Stits) after you get through registration, go all the way to the end and look in "101 woods". Then you can walk up Waukau and go in through the main gate.

The other option - Probably the one I'd choose - Would be to go "straight" on the dog-leg, east on Schaick (the main drag) and take a right at 55th. Go past Lindbergh and down to Elm, then head West and zig-zag up and down between Elm and Lindbergh. Many people camp right off of Schaick without looking past Lindbergh so you may luck out and find a spot there.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/maps/camp-scholler-map

No. And the exit you want is Exit 113, Wisconsin highway 26. Take a right off the ramp, then the first left. There will be signs. ;) You'll need to go in the main gate to start, but once you have credentials on your vehicle you can get in the West or South gates more quickly if you leave and come back.

Hope this helps, and I hope to meet you at the Prellwitz Gourmet Camp Restaurant/PoA gathering! :)

That's some grade A INTEL. Thanks! :D

That is absolutely superb information, cheesy, thanks for sharing.

In another post somebody suggested taking 26 off of 151 south of FondDuLac, going through Rosendale and then going over 41 at the exit. That looks like it would be one hell of a mess at the intersection of 26 and the Poberezny frontage road. But it cuts about ten miles off of the trip. What is your opinion of that little maneuver?

Thanks,

Jim

In another post somebody suggested taking 26 off of 151 south of FondDuLac, going through Rosendale and then going over 41 at the exit. That looks like it would be one hell of a mess at the intersection of 26 and the Poberezny frontage road. But it cuts about ten miles off of the trip. What is your opinion of that little maneuver?

Thanks,

Jim

The intersection will probably be one hell of a mess regardless which way you come in. It keeps you off 41 and the traffic, but I'm not sure if it will work out in saving time.

Depends how you're getting to Wisconsin. IIRC you're coming from California, so you'll likely end up on 80 by the time you get to Nebraska in any case. From there, I'd get off 80 in Iowa - Take 380 to Cedar Rapids, take the south bypass (US 30) and IA-13 up the east side onto 151. Take 151 up to Madison, where it'll join with the Beltline. Stay on the Beltline to I-90 West for about 7 miles, then exit back onto 151 north (this saves you from having to go through Madison on 151).

On 151, there are a couple of exits for 26 - You want the last one, after Waupun (there's a sign that says "Oshkosh - Ahead" near the first exit so you know not to take it as it'll take you through Waupun).

DO NOT SPEED THROUGH ROSENDALE. There is almost always a cop hidden at one end of town or the other.

Cross over 41, take the left on Poberezny and proceed as before.

BTW, I tried really hard to get Google to make this route, but for some reason it absolutely refuses to put you straight up 26. The rest, it got perfectly after I typed "California to Oshkosh, WI."

Have a great trip!

Depends how you're getting to Wisconsin. IIRC you're coming from California

We are stopping by Cyndi's old house in Kansas City to do some maintenance so it will be from KC that we are going to need some directions. I had originally planned something like this:
Route I-35 KC to Des Moines, I-80 to Davenport, I-88 to Rockford, I-39 to Madison, WI-151 to FondDuLac, WI-41 to Oshkosh
But I will now modify that to take your advice into account. Back to the mapping software ... and now it looks something like this:

Jim

Attachments

• MCI To OSH.jpg
    MCI To OSH.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
We are stopping by Cyndi's old house in Kansas City to do some maintenance so it will be from KC that we are going to need some directions. I had originally planned something like this:
Route I-35 KC to Des Moines, I-80 to Davenport, I-88 to Rockford, I-39 to Madison, WI-151 to FondDuLac, WI-41 to Oshkosh
But I will now modify that to take your advice into account. Back to the mapping software ... and now it looks something like this:

Looks good! It'll get you there faster and cheaper than I-88, and no tolls either. :)

Back