Cameras?

jconway2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jconway2002
Ive heard of some people using sound recorders during their lessons so they can go back if they think they missed anything during the lesson...I am not sure how this would work in the air however?

Anyway, I have been thinking about getting a video camera to record my lessons for similar reasons. Has anyone done this? Would a CFI care? What camera should I get?

Thanks.

Ive heard of some people using sound recorders during their lessons so they can go back if they think they missed anything during the lesson...I am not sure how this would work in the air however?

Anyway, I have been thinking about getting a video camera to record my lessons for similar reasons. Has anyone done this? Would a CFI care? What camera should I get?

Thanks.

Each CFI is different. Ask yours before spending any money. Mine let me voice record with a handheld recorder during ground lessons.

There are many ways to record audio that have been covered here in other threads. You can search for them. One problem I've seen is the cheaper video cameras do NOT have an audio input jack which makes it much harder to capture what you hear in your headset. So it might be cheaper to record audio and video separately.

http://www.barnstormeraudio.com/ has a cable. From what I've heard it works really well. I've also heard that you can get a lapel mic and stick the mic in your headset and the end in your camera / recorder / whatever. Seems like it should work pretty well.

My CFI's were all okay with it. One even has a copy of the video I took. Asking is your best bet. As for ground lessons I write because my ground "lessons" were just briefings.

I record my lessons using a cheap $3 suction cup mount (same exact model that GoPro and Nflight sells for about $35) and I use an older non HD camera. I have three HD cameras that I could use but I find that the older model (more manual settings) allows me to get a decent video while getting the cockpit and exterior sight pictures without having WB issues.

The older PNS cameras sometimes have an audio only mode that is handy. Mine is from 2009 and supports an 8gb card so that's plenty of memory. I also have 3 extra battery packs that were $4 each. I have enough batt/memory for 8hrs video or 36hrs audio.

Total cost: $130. In flight we both talk loud enough so no issues with sound for me at least.

If a CFI wasn't cool with me using a video camera to record MY flight which I am PAYING FOR, I would find a new CFI.

I have my first solo, several lessons, and a few trips recorded on video using a Go Pro camera (the HD version hadn't been invented yet). I wouldn't recommend the Go Pro though, as it doesn't have an provisions for a Mic-In.

If a CFI wasn't cool with me using a video camera to record MY flight which I am PAYING FOR, I would find a new CFI.

I would only let a student use it on the condition that I am not on camera at all. I don't need some clown putting me up on YouTube or Facebook. And that it if starts distracting from the lesson it goes, I might being paid by the student, but I don't need my time wasted.

Don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out.

We recorded every training session in the sim, then used the tape for review when it was beneficial for the crew to see how they handled certain situations. After the debrief was completed, we erased (demagnetized) the tape in view of the crew and played a portion of the blank tape so everybody could see that the images were obliterated.

Same policy would apply to any tapes of lessons. From the CFI's standpoint, too many things can/might occur insofar as such recordings are concerned, most of it bad.

I agree. America is a litigious society. No way would I want video out there that I couldn't control, of my flights. All I need is me taking a reverse high speed on tape! Okay, I kid. But there are a thousand things that could be caught on tape that could jerk my ticket if interpreted the wrong way by the wrong folks.

I understand the OP is talking about keeping the tape for personal use. But it's way too much exposure to expect a CFI to allow ALL his students to video tape EVERY flight and not know what's going to end up on YouTube.

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment: A really GOOD ... excellent even, CFI could use the videos as Marketing fodder.

How many stories do we hear from students here on PoA that their CFI is quoting things to them without even citing a Reg for it, for example?

Or how about a puppy mill using it to break the notion that they're not providing quality instruction to students? I could see that one happening. "Just watch our videos if you don't believe us."

Sometimes a little spotlight on the dancers in the dark can be a good thing... it's the great debate about "transparency". Do people really want to see how sausage is made?

Why in the world would somebody do that? What would it prove? Would every prospective student expect to fly with the CFI in the video?f Are you willing to bet your future net worth that some PI lawyer can't find something wrong with any such video 10 years from now when the lawsuit comes to trial?

Do you really think that any of the CFI's that have permitted these videos have consulted their attorney before doing so?

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment: A really GOOD ... excellent even, CFI could use the videos as Marketing fodder.

How many stories do we hear from students here on PoA that their CFI is quoting things to them without even citing a Reg for it, for example?

Or how about a puppy mill using it to break the notion that they're not providing quality instruction to students? I could see that one happening. "Just watch our videos if you don't believe us."

Sometimes a little spotlight on the dancers in the dark can be a good thing... it's the great debate about "transparency". Do people really want to see how sausage is made?

Do you really think that any of the CFI's that have permitted these videos have consulted their attorney before doing so?

If everyone consulted their attorneys about everything they do, they wouldn't bother getting out of bed in the morning.

(Right Spike? ;) )

If you're teaching and think building a record of exemplary behavior in a couple hundred videos isn't worth something later during one "bad day"... you're REALLY paranoid.

Maybe that's the great leadership world we live in today though, not for me to say. Ethics aren't exactly our society's strong selling point, much as I'd like them to be.

It's like flying across lake Michigan...risk analysis.

If making the videos gives you more reward than the risk of having some mistake of yours videoed and presented on YouTube or in court to ruin your livelihood then film away.

To me it seems like the benefit (and I admit there would be benefit to showing a student on video where they screwed up) does NOT offset the risk...and keep in mind, I'd fly across the dang lake!

If making the videos gives you more reward than the risk of having some mistake of yours videoed and presented on YouTube or in court to ruin your livelihood then film away.

Economics 101. Great point. Maybe 201 these days...

If more people in aviation (for example) had the good sense to seek such advice prior to some of the absolutely brain-dead decisions they make on an ongoing basis, they would go to bed each night with a lot more money and wouldn't be forced to get out of bed until they chose to do so.

How much money will be lost this year by pilots who prepay for training that is never delivered due to financial collapse of the providers?

If everyone consulted their attorneys about everything they do, they wouldn't bother getting out of bed in the morning.

(Right Spike? ;) )

If you're teaching and think building a record of exemplary behavior in a couple hundred videos isn't worth something later during one "bad day"... you're REALLY paranoid.

Maybe that's the great leadership world we live in today though, not for me to say. Ethics aren't exactly our society's strong selling point, much as I'd like them to be.

I use a GoPro HD2. It has a microphone port for recording. I use a cheap lapel mic in my headset. It captures all of the sound. You can also get a patch cable which is more but gets the plane audio clear.

My CFI has no problem with me using the camera. He even thinks its cool. Another CFI I subbed with did not want me to use the camera because she did not want to be heard or seen on the Internet.

I use the videos for studying and how I can improve what I've learned already. I do edit my videos and put them on YouTube but I put music over the video so you can't hear the cockpit audio.

A YouTube hobby is cool. But learning to fly is learning to fly. Try not to get distracted in the cockpit with your 'on the ground' hobby.

If more people in aviation (for example) had the good sense to seek such advice prior to some of the absolutely brain-dead decisions they make on an ongoing basis, they would go to bed each night with a lot more money and wouldn't be forced to get out of bed until they chose to do so.

If I don't put a video camera in my cockpit, I get a raise? Hot grits... sign me up. :)

How much money will be lost this year by pilots who prepay for training that is never delivered due to financial collapse of the providers?

Doubt any of those folks would need a full blown attorney to tell them to stay away from the puppy mills... :)

No further questions. Pass the witness.

If I don't put a video camera in my cockpit, I get a raise? Hot grits... sign me up. :)

Doubt any of those folks would need a full blown attorney to tell them to stay away from the puppy mills... :)

Thanks.

I video taped just about all of my flights from solo on. I got the HD 170 Stealth camera and a suction cup mount. A couple of adapter cords from Aircraft Spruce and I had full audio/video of every flight.

I would certainly check with your CFI ahead of time, but if you aren't messing with the camera during the flight, I don't see a problem. Mine was one button record and forget about it. Didn't touch it again until the final shutdown checklist was complete.

As a training tool, I highly recommend it. No matter how hard you try, you will not "hear" everything your CFI is telling you while you're flying. I would go home and watch the video later and pick up a lot that I missed while in the air. Our flight school just bought the Sportys camera and plan to use it in the trainer.

Good luck...hope it goes well.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to mull it over a bit more before I bother asking my CFI.

i used my 3 years old canon ixus 990 and mount it on the dash board, it doesn't records audios that good during takeoff but it works well on recording audio when the engines are not in full power. my CFI doesn't have problems with the recording. and i was recommended to use Nflight or go pro2 hd, but i am short of cash now for extra stuff since i am already paying a lot for my flight training.

As a CFI, I think I'll defer on the option to have any of my flights recorded or taped.

Thanks.

I would recommend the GoPro camera, it is a small light weight camera with unbelievable quality.

I used my GoPro2 with an audio patch cable to record quite a few of my lessons. I trained in a class C airport so I really just wanted to listen to the radio calls at first but liked listening to my instructors comments as well. I just used a suction cup mount and put it in the back side window. I didn't want to get distracted with gadgets ( I also Used my IPad with cloudahoy running) so I kept it simple.

Back