Camera Rental?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
In years past, we could rent cameras on the grounds at Oshkosh. Is there any place that will still do that?

Cameras? Like the little thingy that there's two of on your phone? :)
Yeah, those.

I have an awesome camera on my S5, but it doesn't do much for in-flight shots. If I could rent a nice Canon with a big zoom lens, I wouldn't have so many pictures of dots and smudges in the sky!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't ever remember RENTING cameras at Oshkosh. Back when Canon was the name sponsor rather than Nikon, you could go BORROW a real nice Canon camera. I checked out a film camera one year and a top of the line digital camera other years.

Yeah, those.

I have an awesome camera on my S5, but it doesn't do much for in-flight shots. If I could rent a nice Canon with a big zoom lens, I wouldn't have so many pictures of dots and smudges in the sky!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you don't mind taking the camera and lens with you, try http://www.lensrentals.com/ . I've had good service from this company, as recently as 2 months ago. I suppose you could have them ship it to someplace in Oshksoh, and you send it back from there and save space/weight in your plane.

To be honest, a $200 point and shoot will make tremendous pictures set to the "automatic" mode. Get one with a decent zoom and a quick refocus and shoot time (very frustrating to push the button and miss the pic while the camera thinks about the pic), and you'll be happy. Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Samsung, etc. all make inexpensive cameras that'll make great pictures.

Even better, the $200 P&S fits in your pocket, unlike the $2500 DSLR which is a pain in the arse to carry around all day.

To be honest, a $200 point and shoot will make tremendous pictures set to the "automatic" mode. Get one with a decent zoom and a quick refocus and shoot time (very frustrating to push the button and miss the pic while the camera thinks about the pic), and you'll be happy. Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Samsung, etc. all make inexpensive cameras that'll make great pictures.

Even better, the $200 P&S fits in your pocket, unlike the $2500 DSLR which is a pain in the arse to carry around all day.
Yeah, that's why you see all of the professionals using them! :) If you just want to get photos to document an event, go with a PS... if you want photos you'll be proud of and you can blow up to a decent size, buy or rent a real camera. If carrying around a DSLR is a pain in your arse... I think you're carrying it in the wrong place!

Yeah, that's why you see all of the professionals using them! :) If you just want to get photos to document an event, go with a PS... if you want photos you'll be proud of and you can blow up to a decent size, buy or rent a real camera. If carrying around a DSLR is a pain in your arse... I think you're carrying it in the wrong place!
Agree fully with the above.

So, a fellow is going to Oshkosh with a big dollar and complicated camera that he's never used before, then is gonna make good enough pictures with that setup that they will be markedly better than what he'd get with a good P&S? And he's gonna blow them up to a big enough size that it makes a difference? Will he do like the pro's and cull through hundreds of photos, then spend hours with professional grade post-processing software to create a couple of billboard worthy images?

Or, would he be better off with a good, easy to use camera by his side the whole trip, knowing that the end use of the pictures is for wallpaper on a 25" monitor on his desk?

I have both setups, and know which one to recommend for the casual user.

Kinda like airplanes. Everyone wants a P-51. The pro's fly 'em. But from a practical perspective most pilots are better served by a C-1XX.

To be honest, a $200 point and shoot will make tremendous pictures set to the "automatic" mode. Get one with a decent zoom and a quick refocus and shoot time (very frustrating to push the button and miss the pic while the camera thinks about the pic), and you'll be happy. Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Samsung, etc. all make inexpensive cameras
Some cameras actually say "still camera" and they really mean it, not just that it doesn't do video.

So, a fellow is going to Oshkosh with a big dollar and complicated camera that he's never used before, then is gonna make good enough pictures with that setup that they will be markedly better than what he'd get with a good P&S? And he's gonna blow them up to a big enough size that it makes a difference? Will he do like the pro's and cull through hundreds of photos, then spend hours with professional grade post-processing software to create a couple of billboard worthy images?

Or, would he be better off with a good, easy to use camera by his side the whole trip, knowing that the end use of the pictures is for wallpaper on a 25" monitor on his desk?

I have both setups, and know which one to recommend for the casual user.

Kinda like airplanes. Everyone wants a P-51. The pro's fly 'em. But from a practical perspective most pilots are better served by a C-1XX.

You said they take "great" photos... In my opinion they do not. Yes, he can get a DSLR and put it on Auto and get better photos than you'll get with a PS camera. For some people, a trip to OSH will be a once in a lifetime event. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but I happen to disagree with your advice... it happens!
You have both setups? Why? If you have a real camera, why would you ever use a PS?

Back