Camcorders?

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Ok so I am in search of a camcorder for under $400.00 Something I can use when I start back taking lessons. Hopefully this summer. I would like for it to have sound so I can hear things that went on during my lessons. If you guys know of any please let me know.

Thanks.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Ok so I am in search of a camcorder for under $400.00 Something I can use when I start back taking lessons. Hopefully this summer. I would like for it to have sound so I can hear things that went on during my lessons. If you guys know of any please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi Brook,

If you just want to be able to hear the lesson, buy yourself a digital recorder and 1/4" stereo-->1/8" mono cable and hook that into an extra headset jack in the back. If you're only flying a 2-place airplane, get a Y-splitter and split the headset and the other line to the recorder.

I bought both of those products (well...the voice recorder is a month or two of an older model, but essentially the same thing) I've linked you to and they both work well. You hook the recorder up via USB and load the Panasonic software and you have all the audio in digital form. The best feature is the "

Hope this helps (and is less expensive than a camcorder),
Jason

Brook, I sent you a list in PM a while back...have u checked that?

EBay.

I bought my last Camcorder off Ebay. Less than $150, excellent, like-new condition. It was Hi-8 (I needed to copy some old 8mm tapes I had), but works well.

If you don't need the latest technology, you can do OK on Ebay.

Brook,
I was looking for something else, ran accross this.
You can get a Sony Handycam for $369
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...t_camcorders&DCMP=CNET_DF&HQS=DCRDVD92/BSTOCK
CNET's review:
CNET product brief
Description: The Sony DCR-DVD92 is a 3" DVD-RW, 3" DVD+ RW, and 3" DVD-R-based, consumer camcorder. Compared to other consumer camcorders on the market, it is very inexpensive at around $515.

Pros: Has a 20x optical zoom, which is somewhat more powerful than some similarly priced camcorders. Also, this camcorder has electronic (Super steady shot) stabilization, which is somewhat more favorable than some similarly priced camcorders. Supports manual focus, which helps intermediate users to shoot in hard-to-focus situations. Weighing a little over a pound without battery or media, this camcorder is reasonably portable.

Cons: This camcorder lacks a remote control, which can be handy for video playback.

Suitability: A consumer camcorder, suited for recording video directly to DVD.

Value: Given its very inexpensive price, this camcorder has great features for the money.

Go digital. I just saw a review of new Canon HD digital recorder that lists for $399.

I've been looking for a good one for filming training flights also.

My list of features:

Digital - Higher quality when going to DVD

Good optical zoom - digital zoom with a 1-2MB CCD is BS, can be done during editing. I'm still not sure about digital zoom with a high res CCD, that may work.

Audio input jack so I can plug into the intercom. Surprisingly hard to find on the <$500 units.

DV Tape - seems to provide higher quality than DVD and good recording time.

I'm not convinced that digital stabilization will work in an airplane (too much motion to correct), anybody try it?

My digital camera can fill up its 1GB memory card with video, so that's what I've been using until I find a camcorder I can't resist.

Joe

Hi Joe,

For my brothers birthday I gave him an intro flight. To savor the moment I bought a camcorder last night. I also plan on using this for my flights as well. This is the camcorder that I purchased:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7602659&type=product&id=1130982552719

We watched his flight on tv. Pretty good but you definately need an audio input jack so you can hear things & not just the prop turing.

Just after using it one time I seem to really like it. This is nice since the tape (mini DV) loads from the top not the bottom.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Hi Brook,

I couldn't tell from the specs does it have a microphone or audio input jack?

Joe

Areeda said:
Audio input jack so I can plug into the intercom. Surprisingly hard to find on the <$500 units.

Are you sure? Some have a combined audio/video/input/output jack (the function depends on whether you are recording or playing back). I must admit I haven't looked a lot of low end units, but almost everyone I've seen has some way to input audio either at line level or from a mic.

[/quote]DV Tape - seems to provide higher quality than DVD and good recording time.[/quote]

There's a bit less compression in DV format I think, but tapes are also more fragile.

I'm not convinced that digital stabilization will work in an airplane (too much motion to correct), anybody try it?

Mine has optical stab. and it seems to work fine (except for that last bump on landing :D). It also works in my boat where bumps are the norm.

Back