Camcorder purchase

mgprokosch

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
I am looking for advice on the purchase of a new camcorder. It appears many of you do a little video taping in the air from time to time. I am wanting to retire my old 5 lbs. high 8, but can't seem to find a good camcorder with microphone in (intercom), have image stabilization, miniDV tape. I assume a DVD or hard drive based unit will not like the altitude or vibration.

I know Frank has had good luck with his Canon Elura 100, but it appears Canon has retired that model. The only one I can find is the Canon ZR800. Any recommendations?

(Also posted on the Red Board).

I am looking for advice on the purchase of a new camcorder. It appears many of you do a little video taping in the air from time to time. I am wanting to retire my old 5 lbs. high 8, but can't seem to find a good camcorder with microphone in (intercom), have image stabilization, miniDV tape. I assume a DVD or hard drive based unit will not like the altitude or vibration.

I know Frank has had good luck with his Canon Elura 100, but it appears Canon has retired that model. The only one I can find is the Canon ZR800. Any recommendations?

The Eluras are good cameras. However, their major flaw is that they pick up a fair amount of tape motor noise. That can easily be solved with the top-mounting shotgun/stereo switchable mic, but the Elura 100 got rid of the required hot shoe for that. If you can find an earlier Elura for sale (Google is your friend), that'd be a good choice.

Why do you think Canon has retired the Elura 100 anyway? It's still on their web site as a current model - http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=173

Depending on how much dough you have to spend, you may want to consider the Canon HV20. It's gotten a lot of good reviews from the video people I know. You'd have paid $3-4,000 a year ago for the same quality.

Thanks for the comments Ken.

Yes, I have read that the Elura has a problem with picking up the excessive motor noise.

Yes the Elura 100 is the only model remaining in the Canon line, but it can not be found at any of the major retailers. Canon reps also said it was at the end of its life cycle. I would prefer to purchase a new model, if possible. Several of the online stores which I contacted, advertising the Elura 100 are also out of inventory.

Anybody else have any ideas, other than the $1000 HD camcorders?

Back