callsign in other countries

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Should I decide to fly to Canada or Mexico some day, how would I refer to my airplane?

"Cherokee 8816J"
"Cherokee N8816J"
"N8816J"

By international treaty all US aircraft use the N-prefix while Canada uses C. The proper callsign that should be used on initial call up should be N8816J.

In Canada they do not use the numbers a callsign would be C-ABCD, so as soon as you use you number they would know you are a US aricraft. But still best to use the correct callsign.

smigaldi said:
By international treaty all US aircraft use the N-prefix while Canada uses C. The proper callsign that should be used on initial call up should be N8816J.

So no need to use type of plane like in the US?

In Canada they do not use the numbers a callsign would be C-ABCD, so as soon as you use you number they would know you are a US aricraft. But still best to use the correct callsign.

At first I thought you meant all flights used flight numbers like "Canadian 11" or something. Then I stopped being stupid and understood ya. :)

SkyHog said:
I've flown to Canada several times and, if I remember correctly, everybody called out the aircraft type except the airliners just like here in the states.

SkyHog said:
No problem using the aricraft name such as 'Cherokee N8816J...' Just use the 'N' at least on the first call up.

SkyHog said:
At first I thought you meant all flights used flight numbers like "Canadian 11" or something. Then I stopped being stupid and understood ya. :)

Sorry about the lack of clarity, I guess I was not clear but I knew in my head what I wanted to say. :(

Your US-registered aircraft callsign includes the letter N. By convention this is dropped within the United States but must be used anywhere else.

The US is also the only country to use numbers in a/c call signs. All others use the country's prefix code, which is assigned by ICAO, followed by 3 or 4 letters.

It's always good practice to include your type. For one, it reminds the controller or other traffic of your capabilities and serves as additional protection against mis-hearing, especially with accent laden foreign controllers.

Jon

4CornerFlyer said:
Your US-registered aircraft callsign includes the letter N. By convention this is dropped within the United States but must be used anywhere else.

Jon

None of the Mexican controllers used the 'N' during a trip last week during 6+ hours of flying in their airspace. Cessna XXXAA was used by the controllers and us with no problems.

anonn said:
None of the Mexican controllers used the 'N' during a trip last week during 6+ hours of flying in their airspace. Cessna XXXAA was used by the controllers and us with no problems.

And while it could be wrong, I always use my "normal" callsign of Baron 9025Q when flying in and/or over Canada. Heck, often times I'm talking to a controller in the US when over Ontario.

I'm not saying you need to use the N to let everyone know you're an American. They already know that, especially if you're on an IFR flight plan. Omitting the N is no different from dropping the first two numbers of your tail #.

If you intend to use your FULL call sign in international airspace, include the N. Again, by convention, that is dropped within the US only.

Jon

Back