Calling Twinkie owners....

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Is it worthwhile to join the ICS, the International Comanche Society? It appears the web page does not get much attention. Is there any benefit to joining? I did see some technical information there, and I did hear about renting some test jig for checking the gear system, rather than having all of the parts replaced automatically.

Anyone have any idea of the approximate cost of the STC and parts and labor to have alternators installed on a twin Comanche, instead of the current generators?

Over and above the normal cost of overhauling the IO-320's, what additional costs would be involved with the stc installing 2 200hp IO 360's in place of the current ones?

One last question, anyone know of anyone who has equipment that can simulate inputs from an old attitude indicator to an old Brittain autopilot to test if the autopilot is operational? The attitude gyro is defective, and to rebuild it will cost around $1500 and 4 weeks, and he has no idea if that will fix all of the problems associated with the autopilot. The attitude gyro works by itself, just not giving inputs to the AP. Currently, the AP is a death spiral inducer, if commanded to intercept a heading that is more than 10 degrees off its current heading. I think it would even roll inverted, but I stop it at around 60 degrees.

Over and above the normal cost of overhauling the IO-320's, what additional costs would be involved with the stc installing 2 200hp IO 360's in place of the current ones?

I don't think it's currently possible to purchase the 200hp STC or any of the other Miller mods. :( That's why the ones that go up for sale are NEVER on the block for more than three days.

I'd love for someone to tell me I'm wrong...

Full disclosure, I'm an ICS officer.

Obviously, I think ICS is worthwhile. It is both a social and a technical organization. The "Flyer" (monthly magazine) has interesting technical articles, and the ICS technical committee answers questions on the forum. The folks on that committee are A&Ps, IAs, Avionics installers and at least one DER. Their advice is solid and has been invaluable to me.

ICS has also sent Hans Neubert, a PA30 owner and DER to the FAA's aging aircraft conferences to fend of onerous and unnecessary FAA regulation. Hans also represents ICS on technical issues related to potential service bulletins or ADs.

On the social front I've made some very good friends through ICS, and I look forward to our gatherings. Lots of fun to talk flying with fellow Comanche aficionados.

The Miller STC's are "dormant". George Merrill, a retired Miller employee owns them. I've been told that he is helpful with owners who have questions, but he is not providing new installations or parts for old ones. The Miller twins are very much in demand!

Troubleshooting an old autopilot is possible, but is best done by a good avionics shop. Be warned that fixing it could be quite expensive, and you'll still have an old autopilot! For that reason most shops will suggest installing a new Stec or Century unit.

Feel free to send me an IM with your email or phone number if you'd like to talk off line.

By the way, nice looking Twinkie!

Jay

PA30 Owner and ICS member

Back