Calling the FAA

C

CALIFORNIAFLYER76

Good Afternoon Pilot friends!

It's been six weeks since my AME submitted my medical (with all documentation) and I have yet to hear anything back....

The AME suggested I call OK Office... (405-954-4821) but I keep getting the "Sorry, we are currently experiencing an unusally high volume of calls at this time. Please try again at a later time."

Can anyone lend some advice? Any thoughts on a better time to call?

Thanks

D

Try your Regional Flight Surgeon's office. They have access to the same system as the folks in OKC, but aren't as overwhelmed with work.

And remember when calling OKC, as an interested airman, a key point is to call on non-consecutive days. And remember that Friday >> Monday is a consecutive day. So your routine would be Mon-Wed-Fri-Tue-Thur-Mon-Wed-Fri etc. Also be very humble and friendly when speaking with whomever answers the phone. They already hear plenty of grief from other airmen who are frustrated with the system, so be the bright and sunny one who is providing the honey to catch the flies instead of the frustrate vinegar.

Unfortunately, that’s not unusual of a wait. Earlier this year, it was taking 20+ days just to get your medical scanned.

Once scanned, take a number and wait; depending on what the deferral was for, it may take a while. Like six months or longer for worst case scenarios.

Try your Regional Flight Surgeon's office. They have access to the same system as the folks in OKC, but aren't as overwhelmed with work.

This!

I had an easy "problem" - I needed to upgrade my 2nd Class to a 1st Class, and it had been less than 90 days since my 2nd class renewal, which automatically means the doctor can't issue in office. (Rules like this are part of the problem, IMO...)

I called many times and hit Option 1. Only once did I ever even manage to get put in the hold queue, and unfortunately I was driving and the call dropped before I got a person. All the other times I called, I got the "unusually high call volume" (it certainly isn't unusual). I did get a person when I hit option 3, but despite their promise to find a doc to sign it and send it out... Nothing.

Nothing, that is, until Oshkosh, where I went to the FAA building there and found that they have some aeromedical folks on site... And they were able to print out my medical and hand it to me. Phew! The "authority to exercise certificate privileges" that I was operating under expires in a couple weeks.

But when I asked what I should do if this sort of thing ever happens again, that's exactly what they told me: Contact the regional office.

The scan time right now is 50-60 days behind so if it was submitted 6 weeks ago it probably just got scanned into your file. @AggieMike88 is right on ... call your regional office. As far as calling into Oklahoma- try first thing in the morning when they open, around lunch, and around 5pm EST. Those work the best for me. Good luck!

It took me 4 months (almost 120 days to the day) before I finally got a letter back, then another 90 days to comply with the requirements set forth in the letter and finally get my medical card back. That was working with the AOPA "Pilot Protection" services.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back