Calling on all aspen efd users

182dude

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
182dude
Hello

This is my first post here, i am currently fighting a problem or gotcha with my setup.

1973 C182
Aspen EFD 1000
Garmin 530W
KX155
GTX327
STEC 55x Auto Trim (no preselect)

First off, i sure do love the new panel. I only have maybe 10 hrs flying it but it is awesome.

I have learned that in order to fly a direct to or to fly the approach, i need to be in "HDG" on my 55x with the aspen in "GPSS" mode. My problem lies when i reach the final approach fix, i want to switch over to "APR" mode to fly the glideslope something happens every time! I have tried pushing APR and ALT at the same time, which it shows a capture on the autopilot, but the plane takes a hard left turn! Every time. I have Tried just engagine NAV and it does the same exact thing. I have the GPS1 displayed through the aspen, and my GPS is in "terminal" area so i know things are correct there. Before the aspen i would engage by pressing NAV NAV to get my gpss steering, then if i needed to force capture glideslope i could push APR ALT to get it to go.

While flying the approach in HDG mode with the aspen GPSS on it flies it flawlessly, cheats corners just flies beautifully, it only happens when i try to switch over to APR that i have the problem.

Am i missing something here? Or is my autopilot improperly wired to the aspen? I have been told by aspen that the installer can couple the auto pilot back to the garmin without using aspens GPSS steering as well.

All i am flying right now are GPS approaches i havent tried anything else.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have an Altimatic (Century) so what works for me may not work for you...

The 530 would have to be in loc to fly an ILS glideslope with my setup which is a 430/Aspen/Altimatic IIIc. Alternatively I can set things up with Nav 2 (an SL-30) and avoid the GPSS mess altogether.

Your best resource may be Autopilots Central in Tulsa. They know how things work and can figure out if things aren't connected quite right.

I used to fly a 182 rg with 55 x ( but not an aspen)

Seems to me the heading bug and obs had to be on the inbound course, and it has to be in vloc mode if doing the ils.

Any chance that is it ?

Last edited:
Like to help,but my aspen is configured with the stec 30 ,with gpss steering.

when you say its configured with gpss steering, is that through the aspen or through the stec 30.

I went out and flew some approaches today, i have found that by setting up on the final approach course, around the final approach fix if i disengage gpss on the aspen and couple the approach on my autopilot it will fly the approach. Perfect glide slope but absolutely horrible lateral control. It was so bad on one approach that the nav blinked and disengaged. Im talking about 2 dots deviation to the left of centerline on the aspen, and rolling back and forth to get back. It would never fly the centerline, it would fly to the left of it about half a dot and just work back out to 2 dots before coming back.

Im starting to think there is something not communicating properly in the autopilot to aspen interface.

c310flyr you are correct, that is how i ran the autopilot when it was utilizing a DG

I am still setting up my heading bug to the final approach course on the aspen, either not required or it is just a habit. Either way this thing is not tracking the final approach course!

Something doesn't sound right. I don't have an Stec AP but do have an Aspen 1000 Pro PFD and the MFD with dual 430Ws and a Century 2K AP w/ Auto Trim and if doing RNAV (GPS) approaches I fly using GPSS (via Aspen and with AP in HDG mode) all the way to inbound course and then switch AP to APPROACH mode (from HDG mode) before the FAF and no issues all the way down. I have the Aspens on AutoCourse so the inbound course on the HSI is automatically set by the Aspen. Same process on ILS approach other than switching the 430 to VLOC mode prior to the FAF (although the 430 would switch to VLOC automatically if on the inbound course outside of 2 NM from FAF but I do this manually to be safe).

What did Aspen and the avionics shop say about this?

Did you install it yourself? This is something I would be asking the avionics shop that installed it. However IME this is typical for APs:lol:, that's why I have never bought one. Autopilots seem to cost more to maintain than the rest of the plane.

I have an STEC 60-2 with an Aspen setup. Your 55X has GPSS built in, as does the Aspen PFD.

You indicate you were flying a GPS approach. If I am flying an LPV, I would have the approach loaded. Depending whether you are flying via vectors or to a fix, the procedure is a little different.

If I am flying via vectors, I would have the GPSS off, the approach loaded with vector transition and the autopilot set with HDG/ALT. Once I am on the approach, I would switch to GPSS mode and before the FAF hit NAV.

If a doing the approach via a transition, I would have HDG/ALT set and the GPSS mode on the Aspen on. Outside of the FAF, I switch over to NAV mode.

If I am flying an ILS, I have the HDG/ALT set and then GPSS on or off depending on if I am being vectored. On my Garmin 650, the unit automatically goes to VLOC when I am on the final approach course and below the glideslope. Read up on this section in the Aspen and Garmin manuals. It could be that you are not set up correctly.

I will PM you a couple of videos I made showing an LPV approach fully coupled and another one where at the end I show the vector intercept to an LPVS approach. There is a pretty cool feature on the 60-2 that the 55X should have. By pressing the HDG and NAV together, you can fly the HDG bug until the plane is in a position to intercept the approach and it will go over to NAV mode.

One of the videos goes through many of the Aspen features. Might help you with the transition. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
In approach mode the thing is going to fly off the LOC so don't expect nicely led turns like when using GPS as a source. Also, if waiting for the FAF on an ILS you may be slightly above the GS making the units logic of not capturing above an issue.

I speak from the authority of having a lot of time using other units and no time using your setup, so take it for what it's worth.

Back