Calling Glasair 1 owners...

Jon Huxley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jonhuxley
Ex-Mooney driver here looking to get back into the airplane ownership game after a 12-year hiatus. Third time around, but first time experimental / amateur built ownership. Glasair 1 fits the mission profile / budget; preference for RG, possibly TD, but needs to be basic IFR with autopilot.

I'm putting a budget together and I'm looking to get a feel for what people are spending on condition inspections / maintenance costs per year.

Well you should be able to get a descent IFR 1 for about 50K. That's what I paid for my 1 FT years ago and that's about their current value.

Really condition inspections are going to vary wildly. Not just because of what shop you chose but how the aircraft was maintained begin with. Some are old NAV / instruments that need updating while others have the latest exp glass. Some use automotive parts while others stick to approved OEM. I actually have a Flowscan tach from a boat in mine.

I'd say generally a condition inspection would be between $1,500-2,000 from a good shop. I've had an A&P do one for me for $500 once though. For the most part, they're dirt simple airframes with very little to inspect. You'll see some with cracks on the airframe around the horz stab meets the fuse. Make sure it's in the gel coat (most likely is) and not from the fiberglass. Engine issues are not different than any other Lyc 320-360. You generally won't see any cooling problems. Even with the small cowling inlets, climbing out at 110 KIAS keeps CHTs well below 400 F with good baffling. Insurance with full hull will be around $2,000. I only have standard liability and pay $500.

Obviously aerobatic approved at +6/ -4 Gs. No surprises in handling other than it's very sensitive in pitch and I'd recommend keeping power in until touchdown. Just a blast to fly. Like a little fighter. Very tight though. Like C150 tight but you sit semi reclined.

1,500-2,000 on a fixed gear single condition inspection????? Holy smokes, I have never paid that much for a full on annual inspection!

1,500-2,000 on a fixed gear single condition inspection????? Holy smokes, I have never paid that much for a full on annual inspection!

Well when they charge $800 just for the inspection and $100 per hour to fix the squawks, it adds up.

Velocity charges me $2,120 just for the inspection on my 173.

I had one for a few years. Had little to no mx sqwawks - depends on how it was built. I'd pay special attention to how the brake lines are routed, their condition, as well as the condition of the calipers. I did all the mx to mine and the annual was usually around $1k with a few fix-it items. Mine was a fixed pitch, fixed gear O-320. You can count on 145ktas on just under 8gph. Easy handling, touchy in pitch and if you are going to do any acro read up on the spin characteristics (DON'T DO IT) and understand how to avoid entry if you get slow.

The most expensive annual I had on my Grumman was $700.00 and I would say that is a comparable amount of labor with the addition of an IA sign off. I do the condition inspection on the Venture my self.

Back