Calling FSS via Skype

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Has anyone called a FSS via Skype before? I am thinking about doing it tomorrow so I can record the briefing I receive.

Does anyone know what FSS you will reach if you call 1-800-WX-BRIEF [using SkypeOut]? I predict it will call Podunk FSS and I'll have to go ahead and call the direct number to BDR AFSS, but who knows.

Just wondering,
Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
Has anyone called a FSS via Skype before? I am thinking about doing it tomorrow so I can record the briefing I receive.

Does anyone know what FSS you will reach if you call 1-800-WX-BRIEF [using SkypeOut]? I predict it will call Podunk FSS and I'll have to go ahead and call the direct number to BDR AFSS, but who knows.

Just wondering,
Jason

I would think whatever number you are assigned from SkypeOut will determine the FSS. When I call FSS on my cell phone, it always ends up going to Anderson, SC FSS since that's technically the closest to where I'm "calling from". But they shouldn't have a problem forwarding it.

Careful,

Recording that may be illegal. Check your state laws.

Connecticut

Connecticut joined the ranks of two-party consent about 3 years ago. The State Police there is quite diligent in enforcing the law. Ironic, since they were the ones responsible for the law going into effect by illegally recording the telephone calls of prisoners at the individual barrack when arrested.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

HPNPilot1200 said:

Just wondering,
Jason

You'll show up on caller ID as coming from area code 000.

I'll bet the 800 number won't even work. Skype may have US portals, but as far as I know most of the infrastruture is in Europe. 800 numbers don't work outside the US.

You'll have to use the direct number.

Thanks, Mike. I ended up calling the direct number this morning. I had a problem where it wasn't taking my "1" entry for "pre-flight briefing" on the skype number/key-pad, but I eventually got a briefer.

...now it's time to go fly! It's a beautiful day in the NE. :yes:

:blueplane:Jason:blueplane:

I just tried 1-800-VFR-NOT-RECOMMDED, I mean WX-BRIEF from my Vonnage VoIP in Los Angeles and got the New York FSS.

Joe

Areeda said:
I just tried 1-800-VFR-NOT-RECOMMDED, I mean WX-BRIEF from my Vonnage VoIP in Los Angeles and got the New York FSS.

Joe

I just tried it from my Vonage phone with the same results.

Back