Calling any San Francisco area POAers

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
On Saturday December 13 I'll be flying to SFO and taking BART into San Francisco for a party that dosen't begin till around 6:30 PM I get in around 1:00PM so will have some time to burn are there any POAers in the Area that want to grab a cup of coffee with me or talk flying.

I'm staying with my sister but its a surprise for her that I'm comming to her Birthday party ( leaving Sunday12/14) so she dosen't know it yet I'm just going to show up at the party otherwise I'd crash at her place for a few hours but don't want to ruin the surprise. I'll be hanging out in what ever cafe will let me hang out and sip coffee for 3-4 hours. I'd love to meet some of the West coast gang.

So you decided on SFO after all. OAK probably would have been a better choice. Hope it won't be as bad as it often is in the winter...just make sure you don't arrive on a day when the winds are from the south!

Do we even have a west coast gang?

-Felix

I decided on SFO because the only recommendation I got was from Mari. She said SFO would be easier to get to BART and into the City. Do you disagree? Why would it matter where the winds are from? ( I'm flying in Commercial not GA) looks like the Wx will be decent for about 2 weeks with Temps in the 60s

I decided on SFO because the only recommendation I got was from Mari. She said SFO would be easier to get to BART and into the City. Do you disagree? Why would it matter where the winds are from? ( I'm flying in Commercial not GA) looks like the Wx will be decent for about 2 weeks with Temps in the 60s
It's true that OAK is a smaller airport and maybe easier to navigate, but I prefer SFO. I tried OAK once because the flight was cheaper but it was much more of a pain getting to where I wanted to go in the City. Sometimes there are low clouds in the morning that cause delays but if you are not arriving until 1pm you shouldn't have any problem.

Mari thanks for posting that BART site that was awesome. Anyway still hoping to have a cup o joe w/some Bay Area POAers.

Adam,
What most of the nation doesn't know, but we here in the Bay Area are much too familiar with, is that SFO drops to one runway when IFR conditions are in place. Unfortunately flights are scheduled for both runways so when they shut one down it disrupts the entire country....:eek:
PM arrivals should be good unless the morning was disrupted by 50 or more flights still cycling in when it was foggy or stormy. They prioritize arrivals. It appears international gets first place, long haul is second and domestic gets what's left.
All that being said I have usually had pretty good luck with SFO and always use it for international flying, OAK for domestic. Have only been cancelled once. Take a look at this site for a few days and you'll see the current patterns:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Good luck and welcome to Northern California!

Sorry, maybe that was a bit harsh :) I just have had one too many bad experiences with SFO. I'd say it's not more difficult to get to the city from OAK, and it doesn't really take longer. Problem is - SFO isn't really a good IMC airport. If it's IMC (and it often is in the winter), they can't use the parallel runways because they've built them too close to each other (one wonders why). So they're down to one arrival then one departure. Sort of silly. And if the wind is from the south, they run into issues because Oakland's arrivals conflict with the SFO arrivals.

All that said, I hope you don't have any delays. I'll be around on Saturday, maybe we can get a few people on board.

-Felix

Last edited:
Felix, no sweat didn't think you were being harsh. I was just curious. Cost is a factor and SFO is less expensive than OAK so I'll head there. No offense taken at all. It would be great to meet some folks if your around. I'll we can touch base by PM in about a week.

Can't meet you for coffee unless you stop in Dallas, but SFO approach FROM the south is cool... you think you're gonna land on the bay, then BAM there's the runway. Like landing in Boston from the east.

yeah Troy I've been there a few times before and flown the approach over the bay its cool kinda like the one into boston over the harbour and into philly down the river.

No Dallas stops this time I do have a layover for a few hours but its in Denver.

Speaking of Bay area POAers, does anyone know Melissa Andrzejewski well enough to help with a newspaper story about her that my friend is writing?

On Saturday December 13 I'll be flying to SFO and taking BART into San Francisco for a party that dosen't begin till around 6:30 PM I get in around 1:00PM so will have some time to burn are there any POAers in the Area that want to grab a cup of coffee with me or talk flying.

I'm staying with my sister but its a surprise for her that I'm comming to her Birthday party ( leaving Sunday12/14) so she dosen't know it yet I'm just going to show up at the party otherwise I'd crash at her place for a few hours but don't want to ruin the surprise. I'll be hanging out in what ever cafe will let me hang out and sip coffee for 3-4 hours. I'd love to meet some of the West coast gang.
Are you actually allowed to enter the city limits? Do you have some sort of waiver or something?? ;) ;)

If you do not find a place to hang out are you going to be close to downtown? A nice walk over to the Wharf is always a good way to kill a couple of hours. Or if you want I know a few nice tattoo and piercing joints :rofl:

Are you actually allowed to enter the city limits? Do you have some sort of waiver or something?? ;) ;)

. Or if you want I know a few nice tattoo and piercing joints :rofl:

ROLMAO that was great Scott. I do have to register at the City limits just to be sure they don't go over their qouta of Republicans in the City but I'm assured that they won't be anywhere close to qouta that day. I've been to SF quite a bit. Its a fun city. My sister always introduces me and my brother to here friends as her NON PC brothers.:smilewinkgrin: As for Ink and piercing well some folks just look right with them and some don't I think I'm in the don't category :yikes:

ROLMAO that was great Scott. I do have to register at the City limits just to be sure they don't go over their qouta of Republicans in the City but I'm assured that they won't be anywhere close to qouta that day. I've been to SF quite a bit. Its a fun city. My sister always introduces me and my brother to here friends as her NON PC brothers.:smilewinkgrin: As for Ink and piercing well some folks just look right with them and some don't I think I'm in the don't category :yikes:

You guys can laugh, but Wenesday's news story was a proposal to charge a toll on cars to go downtown -- a la London.

Sorry I won't be around that weekend.

Sam

You guys can laugh, but Wenesday's news story was a proposal to charge a toll on cars to go downtown -- a la London.

Sorry I won't be around that weekend.

Sam

I never figured out why anyone would want a car in SF. I lived there a few years and never kept my car on the peninsula. I'd just keep it at the BART station in Walnut Creek where I was working or at Hayward or Concord where I kept my plane. Parking in SF is a nightmare, almost as bad as Manhattan.

I never figured out why anyone would want a car in SF. I lived there a few years and never kept my car on the peninsula. I'd just keep it at the BART station in Walnut Creek where I was working or at Hayward or Concord where I kept my plane. Parking in SF is a nightmare, almost as bad as Manhattan.

Well, if your office happens to be in the heart of the financial district and you need to split your day between the office and visiting clients...

But I see your point. My company stopped subsidizing our parking this summer and it was just the kick in the pants I needed to take the bus which I do as much as possible. We also now have a couple of "zip cars" in the parking lot under the building that I will be checking out.

Well, if your office happens to be in the heart of the financial district and you need to split your day between the office and visiting clients...

But I see your point. My company stopped subsidizing our parking this summer and it was just the kick in the pants I needed to take the bus which I do as much as possible. We also now have a couple of "zip cars" in the parking lot under the building that I will be checking out.

Bus or scooter for me. I did keep my car on the pier in the shop for a while when I worked for Bay and Delta towing.

Adam, SFO will do just fine. They accomodate planes from the East coast just fine. I flew into SFO a zillion times from BWi/IAD/PHL without problems. The only problems I've ever had were getting OUT of SFO, starting with the cab situation in San Fran. Limited, at best. When it rains, expect to share and be willing to jump out in front of them in traffic to hail one.

Ghiardelli Square is nice for about 15 minutes. Check out the maritime museum, whatever they call it, to see the Liberty Ship and also the only WWII trim Gato class Sub left afloat. I've been to a bunch and that one is the best of the lot. Fisherman's Wharf, otherwise, is a tourist trap best left to the flesh Zeppelins from the heartland.

I do have to register at the City limits just to be sure they don't go over their qouta of Republicans in the City but I'm assured that they won't be anywhere close to qouta that day.

My company tried to move me to SF twice and I said no. Fun to visit, but not a place I would be comfortable living. I feel like I am in occupied territory there. Go to the Tadich Grill for their Cioppino, but get there early as it gets crowded.

Adam, SFO will do just fine. They accomodate planes from the East coast just fine. I flew into SFO a zillion times from BWi/IAD/PHL without problems. The only problems I've ever had were getting OUT of SFO, starting with the cab situation in San Fran. Limited, at best. When it rains, expect to share and be willing to jump out in front of them in traffic to hail one.

Ghiardelli Square is nice for about 15 minutes. Check out the maritime museum, whatever they call it, to see the Liberty Ship and also the only WWII trim Gato class Sub left afloat. I've been to a bunch and that one is the best of the lot. Fisherman's Wharf, otherwise, is a tourist trap best left to the flesh Zeppelins from the heartland.

Thanks Andrew. I have been to SF numerous times this time I'll just be there to surprise my sister and be there less than 24 hrs.

Back