Calling all Yuma Pilots!

Jon Stains

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jon Stains
Good Day Gents,

I will be heading to Yuma for some training in January and Im looking for people to go flying with in the Yuma area. Ill pay my own way obviously. Just want to meet new people and enjoy what this hobby does best, bring people together for an expensive hamburger!

Not a Marine, I didnt need waivers to join nor do I see crayons as a delicious snack.

Not a Marine, I didnt need waivers to join nor do I see crayons as a delicious snack.
I know you were joking but I can't help but share a little insight from my career as a pilot.
When it comes to the prior military pilots that i have worked with the hands down best were marines. A close second were the army guys, especially the ones that transitioned from helicopters. Some of the worst were USAF fighter guys, not all USAF guys by any means but the bad mil guys I have flown with were overwhelmingly from the airforce single seat world. So i generally find that the "dumb" services had some of the best all around airmen I have ever flown with and the hands down best captain I have ever had the pleasure to fly with and call a mentor was a vietnam era A-6 pilot from the USMC and the guy that is a very close second was an army special ops helicopter pilot that transitioned to fixed wing.

Of course everything i have shared is anecdotal and not intended to be taken as anything other than my personal experience...

Last edited:
My apologies...... :rolleyes2: Not everyone has the intestinal fortitude, esprit de corps or loves their country enough to be a Marine.
Indeed! It was only a quick dig, I was army infantry before trying out for what I do now, and brother was a former infantry Marine. We have a good time “comparing” our skillsets.

I know you were joking but I can't help but share a little insight from my career as a pilot.
When it comes to the prior military pilots that i have worked with the hands down best were marines. A close second were the army guys, especially the ones that transitioned from helicopters. Some of the worst were USAF fighter guys, not all USAF guys by any means but the bad mil guys I have flown with were overwhelmingly from the airforce single seat world. So i generally find that the "dumb" services had some of the best all around airmen I have ever flown with and the hands down best captain I have ever had the pleasure to fly with and call a mentor was a vietnam era A-6 pilot from the USMC and the guy that is a very close second was an army special ops helicopter pilot that transitioned to fixed wing.

Of course everything i have shared is anecdotal and not intended to be taken as anything other than my personal experience...
A lot of the smartest individuals I have worked with are actually Marines or former. So I completely understand this.

I was accepted to WOFT and waiting an inter-Service transfer when 9/11 went down. My rotorwing career ended before it began.......

I was accepted to WOFT and waiting an inter-Service transfer when 9/11 went down. My rotorwing career ended before it began.......

Marine Corps cancel your conditional transfer? I got picked up without the inter service transfer.;) Had to jump through some hoops to get out.

Marine Corps cancel your conditional transfer? I got picked up without the inter service transfer.;) Had to jump through some hoops to get out.

It was at HQMC for approval. I was told our unit mission was of the highest priority and thy could not release me. So I flushed it all and never tried again

It was at HQMC for approval. I was told our unit mission was of the highest priority and thy could not release me. So I flushed it all and never tried again

Yeah I think wartime is the only situation where they can retain you like that. I almost didn’t get released. The day prior to taking the oath, even with HQMC approval in hand, my admin chief (CWO3) didn’t want to release me. Said he had no guarantee that I was going to enlist in the Army. Was worried I’d just change my mind. Yeah, I had been working on this for 10 years and I’m just gonna change my mind at the last minute.:rolleyes:

I joined the Air Force because I didn't want to have to sleep with my head in the mud. I can fully understand what Tarheel said about the caliber of pilots because I used to be a jet engine mechanic and the Air Force pilots just didn't seem to give a crap when they broke the plane and who had to work on it on their weekend to get it fixed. I have no knowledge of how the other branches treated their maintenance folks but I know for certain that the Air Force just didn't care as long as their plane was ready when they got ready to fly. That is one of the main reasons I got out of maintenance and became a controller.

Having said that, and now as a controller. I'd rather have USAF fighter guys in my pattern any day over any other branch. To me at least, it seems the other branches have a real gift of screwing up the pattern for the other guys and seem to have the most difficulty in conveying their intentions to ATC.

I joined the Air Force because I didn't want to have to sleep with my head in the mud. I can fully understand what Tarheel said about the caliber of pilots because I used to be a jet engine mechanic and the Air Force pilots just didn't seem to give a crap when they broke the plane and who had to work on it on their weekend to get it fixed. I have no knowledge of how the other branches treated their maintenance folks but I know for certain that the Air Force just didn't care as long as their plane was ready when they got ready to fly. That is one of the main reasons I got out of maintenance and became a controller.

Having said that, and now as a controller. I'd rather have USAF fighter guys in my pattern any day over any other branch. To me at least, it seems the other branches have a real gift of screwing up the pattern for the other guys and seem to have the most difficulty in conveying their intentions to ATC.

Negative Ghost Rider..... the pattern is full.

I know why you don’t like hotshot pilots now. They make you soil you khakis!

One - I don't wear khakis. That's for the guys who must label their shirts in big letters.
Two - A "hotshot" pilot to me is someone who does what they're told and doesn't have to be told how to fly their airplane.

but I get your humor. ;)

One - I don't wear khakis. That's for the guys who must label their shirts in big letters.
Two - A "hotshot" pilot to me is someone who does what they're told and doesn't have to be told how to fly their airplane.

but I get your humor. ;)

Lighten up, Francis.....:sigh:

Almost got orders to MCAS Yuma. Half the facility got busted for distributing meth and needed controllers. Fortunately, they didn’t need approach controllers. Yuma has never been an appealing locale to me.

Back