Calling all Helicopter Pilots, my flight in the MV-22

Luv2Huvr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I wanted to share this with everyone. I know that its not something most you get to do every day, and that is get a jumpseat ride in the cockpit on the V-22.

http://youtu.be/l1uq8KekxGE

If for some reason the link does not work just search youtube for Luv2Huvr and my videos should come up.

A different sensation on the takeoff roll, and then about 200 agl when the nacelles get tilted forward you get a sensation like you are rotating in a conventional airplane. Surprising that the noise level in the cockpit was not bad.

Chris

I see a lot of them in Afghanistan. Handy looking equipment.

The Marines seem to like them.

I see a lot of them in Afghanistan. Handy looking equipment.

The Marines seem to like them.

They don't like their OR rates that's for sure. I love the Osprey, I just think it's complexity makes it a maintenance nightmare, especially in the rigors of desert warfare.

That being said, the Army needs to replace their Chinooks with Ospreys and in a few years replace their Black Hawks with S-97 Raiders. That would be the perfect compliment!:)

They don't like their OR rates that's for sure. I love the Osprey, I just think it's complexity makes it a maintenance nightmare, especially in the rigors of desert warfare.

The V22 has displayed excellent operational reliability, especially in Afghanistan. It wasn't nearly as good in Iraq. Insofar as safety, it's one of the safest aircraft by record of anything they fly.

The V22 has displayed excellent operational reliability, especially in Afghanistan. It wasn't nearly as good in Iraq. Insofar as safety, it's one of the safest aircraft by record of anything they fly.

A Government Accountability Office study reported that by January 2009 the Marines had 12 MV-22s operating in Iraq and they completed all assigned missions. The same report found that the V-22 deployments had mission capable rates averaging 57% to 68% and an overall full mission capable rate of only 6%. It also stated that the aircraft had shown weakness in situational awareness, maintenance, shipboard operations and the ability to transport troops and external cargo

In the Black Hawk we had over a 90 % FMC while deployed. Over 75 % of our fleet was flying everyday. We'd never be able to get anything done with 57-68 % MC.

It's no longer 2009.

I was there in 2009, too, and a lot has gone on since then.

It's no longer 2009.

The required mission capable rate is 82%, but the average was 53% from June 2007 to May 2010.[2]

Have things changed drastically since 2010? Listen, I like the aircraft too but you're not going to convince me this thing has a reliable record. The F-14 was an awesome aircraft but it was a maintenance hog as well.

It's no longer 2009.

Perhaps it has, but it was most definitely not any better in late 2010 on my last deployment to CENTCOM. The operational availability of the USMC MV-22s was not any better than the H-46's they were designed to replace. Not sure what you were seeing in the 'stan, but at ESG V, you can bet we were tracking their status daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back